10 1/4" ford truck rear end?

Started by 48ford, December 20, 2004, 03:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi,
I have a 94 ford 3/4 ton truck with a 10 1/4"  rear end. Has anyone worked on one?
This is the heavy duty one.
Is it full floating or what?
If it has bearing on the center how do they come out?
I have picked up a bad rumble out of the rear on the truck.(yes its the center housing,and its full of fluid,so it's probably a bearing.
Thanks Russ

enjenjo

If it's full floating, it will have 8 bolts holding the axle to the hub, in addition to the lug nuts. If it has flanges like a car rear end, and no bolts into the hub, it's a light duty Dana 60 . If it has rear axle rating  3800 lbs. or under, and full floating hubs,it will be a Dana 60 heavy duty, rated over 3800 lbs, it will be a Dana 70. pretty straight forward to repair. You can replace the bearings without having to reset everything. FWIW they are pretty much bullet proof, any noise is probably coming from the rear wheel bearings.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it's full floating, it will have 8 bolts holding the axle to the hub, in addition to the lug nuts. If it has flanges like a car rear end, and no bolts into the hub, it's a light duty Dana 60 . If it has rear axle rating  3800 lbs. or under, and full floating hubs,it will be a Dana 60 heavy duty, rated over 3800 lbs, it will be a Dana 70. pretty straight forward to repair. You can replace the bearings without having to reset everything. FWIW they are pretty much bullet proof, any noise is probably coming from the rear wheel bearings.
Thanks frank,it is a full floater,it has the 8 bolts holding the axle in,I will look at it again today,But the noise is comming out of the center section,not the ends,but whatever it is it has to be fixed,
Thanks Russ

kb426

How many miles? The pinion depth is set by shims behind the pinion bearing and backlash is set by side shims. If you replace the pinion bearings it should be close in depth. However, any noise may be caused by gear damage which means new gears and resetting all clearances.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

If it's an E series, I have a low mileage rear end here out of a 90 E350
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

Thank for the help.
This project is on hold till next week(we are going to get hit with a big snow today,and Christmas is here).
The truck is my old diesel 2 wheel drive and you can't drive it in the snow anyway.
She has over 100,000 miles now.
I will look at it next week
Russ