Plating prices

Started by enjenjo, December 16, 2004, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I thought that plating prices had just about reached the limit,but....... I just picked up a pair of headlight reflectors I had bright nickle plated. He has done several sets for me in the past, normally they run $20 to $30. This set was $70 Have plating prices gone up that much lately?

Being an automotive town, we used to have several choices, but there are only two shops left, and one is strictly production. Some of the others are still around, but no longer plate chrome. They have moved into zinc dichromate, and phosporic coating. E coating is big too. biggest reason, no polishing, so the labor costs are much lower.

I have found that prepolishing before I take it in reduces the price drasically. So I found a guy that does polishing, but not plating, and he polishes most of my parts before they go to the plater. he also gets all my aluminum, and the big stainless stuff. He does outstanding work.

I have found that when it comes to specialized craftsmen, polishing, plating, machine work, welding, most of the people I use are Bikers. Attention to detail, and the willingness to tackle a difficult job are the primary reasons.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Plating has gone up a lot since I had stuff done years ago. I sent a pair of Heidt spindles out to have them chrome plated and it cost me $275.00 for the pair. But considering a new pair of polished stainless ones are $275.00 each, I just took a deep breath and wrote the check. To their credit, the pieces came out looking like show chrome. Thankfully, I won't have to have anything else done.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

The cost of plating is why Big Olds is windowless.  It's whats holding me back from getting all of Big Olds's window trim done.  The cost of glass is nothing compared to the price to chrome the window trim. :cry:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

KustomLincolnLady

The plating on the Lincoln was the most expensive thing on the car  :roll: !!!   Try plating 3 full size bumpers not to mention all the other stuff  :shock:   (the lincoln has a double bumper in front) We coulda bought another car for the cost of all that!!!! :twisted:  And that was 6yrs ago now!  But you only do one like that once, Right  :x ??
Debb

47wood

Plating has gone up as the ranks have thinned out.  The EPA guys are the primary reason IMHO.  Last year I toured the Street and Performance operation in Mena, Arkansas.  They do all their own chrome inhouse but said the EPA came by and hauled off a load of their dirt for testing.  They are still paying on the fine for what was found in the dirt ...and they are located several miles out of town in the middle of nowhere.  Our one local shop stopped do aluminum, stainless, and pot metal this year.   :(
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Rochie

Enjenjo,
I just had a Chassis Eng. dropped axle and a pair of headlight/shock mounts plated.  I polished the stands and took the axle to 180 grit paper. A shop here in town, plated it for $80 Can. When I compare that to the cost of a chromed axle (plain forged CE at $330 chrome at $695). I've got $285 left to fool around with.  
Denise we will talk about your frames when I see you next week OK
Rochie

midnight sun

A friend of mine who has a plating shop told me yesterday that in a years time, nickel has gone from $3 a pound to $11.50 a pound.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Crosley.In.AZ

couple things I've noticed..

like enjenjo the better plating shops I have used were run by HD biker types.

My 1962  Falcon bumper was straightened & plated earlier this year at $240.00. :shock:

I am afraid to install the bumper, don't want it scratched.  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

flt-blk

I recently had some stuff done in Texas.

Bumpers $150 apiece, Two Stude and Two 51 Chev all at once.
Stamped steel Valve covers $20 ea.
Valley pan    $30
Timing Chain cover $30
Pulleys $15 ea.

I thought it was reasonable.  

Most of the above was on my Stude motor, I think I need more stuff
chromed.  This is some sort of addiction I was not aware of, you can't
stop at just a few pieces.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang