Benchtop disc/belt sanders

Started by purplepickup, December 03, 2004, 10:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've wanted to get a disc sander for a while and I've been noticing they're less than $100 now.  Sears has a 6" disc/4" belt one for $88 and Menards has one for $69.  I looked on Epinions site for ratings and they said that the Craftsman sander is made in China and I know the Menards/Harbor Freight ones are too.  It isn't something I'd abuse but they sure are handy to have around.  I was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad opinions or experiences with the cheap ones.

George
George

58 Yeoman

I've been buying the cheap electric hand tools at Menards; something like a 4" grinder for under $20.  They usually give you an extra set of brushes too.  When/if they go bad, I pitch 'em.  The table saw from Menard's was less than $100, but for  my work, it's pretty accurate.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Bib_Overalls

Friend has a Delta 6" bench top combination sander.  I have used it to shape and dress fabricated metal parts.  It will do the job on light stuff but it eats sanding belts and discs.  And if you snag a belt it will rip.  

Another friend has one of these http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G1014Z  .  He is a professional metal fabricator and uses it all the time.  I'm going to get one this coming May when I attend the NSRA Nationals in Springfield.

I was going to get one this past May but wound up spending the money on new steering box.  But that is another story.

I do think that if you intend on using the sander for metal fabrication and if you use it very much the cost of expendables will quickly exceed the cost of a larger unit.  

And the larger unit will handle heavier gauge materials.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

I have a Craftsman, made in China, I have been using it for 10 years, nearly every day. Outside of belts, i have replaced three switches, and one bearing in that time. I found a heavy duty switch I just installed, It fits right in the factory hole, we'll see how this one holds up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

George, depending what your needs are, or its intended use, the 6" disc / 4" belt will limit what you can do with it.

Keeping in mind that you are only supposed to sand on the "downward" side of the disc, your capacity is limited to 3".  ...Trying to sand something the full 6" width will probably strain the motor.

A 4" wide belt is too narrow for many tasks.

As others have pointed out, abrasive life will be less on machines with small surface areas.

As with many machine tools, a larger machine will be able to accomplish a greater variety of tasks.  ....Nothing is more frustrating than having a machine designed to do a task, but not being able to use it because it does not have enough capacity.
....Sometimes, a few bucks more upfront, will yield big benefits.  

Grizzly tools, although made in the Orient, have been steadily improving in quality over the years, and offer good value for their price.

I have a Delta Combination 12" disc / 6" belt (uses 6"x48" belts) with a 1-1/2hp motor, which I bought in 1977.  ...It is one of my most-used tools, being useful on wood, steel, aluminum, plastic, brass, rubber, etc. ...I'm spoiled, but I would not consider anything smaller.

I also prefer to buy used industrial-grade tools over new "homeowner's-grade" tools. ...They're out there, but not always easy to find.

You could also try going to a local shopping mall and sitting on Santa's lap until he concedes and agrees to give you what you want! :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

SKR8PN

George.......I just bought one of the small Delta models(a twin to the one in the picture!) they sell at Lowes,for like 70 bucks. It does just what I bought it to do,and that is light sanding on aluminum,steel and wood. It's great for knocking the edge off of a piece you just cut on the bandsaw,shaping a small piece of 1x,or similar small jobs. It is definately NOT a tool to be used in a production shop,or on a piece that requires HEAVY grinding.  And........I managed to pi$$ Santa off when I bought it............I guess it was on the list of things SHE was going to bring me this year :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

MrMopar64

George
I've got the one from Harbor Freight that I got for $59 on sale and so far it has done everything I've needed I also bought the 1inch belt sander for $29 which is nice for shaping parts...... But regardless of who's you buy you'll wonder how you got along without one......  :lol:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

purplepickup

Well, I told Santa today that I want one and circled the ads in the sale flyers so Santa knows what I'm talking about.   Years ago I bought a wood lathe because I used to work a lot with wood.  It has a 7" disc sander on the end of it and I use it a lot but I don't use the lathe anymore.  It takes up too much room and it's got to go...at least to another building, so I'll lose my sander when I move it.  7" discs are next to impossible to find anyway.

Bruce your post makes a lot of sense and if I get rich off ebaying spare parts I'll keep my ears open for a larger sander but for now a small cheap one will have to do.  Most of what I do is small stuff anyway.  I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any problems with the Chinese ones.  Sometimes they cut corners on important things like adjustment mechanisms and such.   I don't expect Santa to come thru so I'll probably be shopping the sales after Christmas.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

as mentioned a wider disc is better.

i have a 12 inch disc sander that was given to me.  An old unit someone built with a cast iron base.  I must admit I wonder how I  did with out it now
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

mopar2dr

George, how about a drive to Rohebecks out in Hickey Corners? He buys,sells and trades almost any kind of tools. I'm gonna check him out for a 20" band saw(better a good used brand name than a China special for the same money). He closes early Friday evening and reopens Sunday morning. Sorry for not being to active lately but new bay window has led to new walls and wood flooring,still under construction!!!!  But at least they know me by name at Home Depot,Menards etc. etc. etc.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

4T64RD

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've wanted to get a disc sander for a while and I've been noticing they're less than $100 now.  Sears has a 6" disc/4" belt one for $88 and Menards has one for $69.  I looked on Epinions site for ratings and they said that the Craftsman sander is made in China and I know the Menards/Harbor Freight ones are too.  It isn't something I'd abuse but they sure are handy to have around.  I was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad opinions or experiences with the cheap ones.

George

I borrow a Craftsman, and everytime I put any pressure onto what I'm sanding/grinding, the belt wants to slide to one side or the other.  Just my experience. When I buy one I'll look into one with a better design.
http://www.poorboysflorida.com

New site!!!

Boycott IHOP!!! Buy American pancakes

purplepickup

I've been out checking the cheaper ones out and I've decided to wait til I can afford a better one.   I'm just not real impressed with the quality and they are small.  I want to be able to sharpen lawn mower blades and axes and that little 3" radius is just too small. I know I'll use it a lot and this is one tool that I think I'll want a big 10 or 12 incher. :shock:  

I guess there are times that 6 or 7 inches just isn't enough.....
George

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've been out checking the cheaper ones out and I've decided to wait til I can afford a better one.   I'm just not real impressed with the quality and they are small.  I want to be able to sharpen lawn mower blades and axes and that little 3" radius is just too small. I know I'll use it a lot and this is one tool that I think I'll want a big 10 or 12 incher. :shock:  

I guess there are times that 6 or 7 inches just isn't enough.....

Ive found the best thing to sharpen mower blades with is a 4 inch angle grinder. It really works good. In a pinch ill use a coarse file . Bench grinders and disk sanders dont do it for me for mower blades.
Dave

purplepickup

When I wrote that I knew someone would say something :lol: I figured it would be about the safety of sharpening things on the sander tho.   I'd better not admit to doing anything else on it. :roll:

I have to use a grinder on mower blades too because Sue hits lots of rocks and stuff and it takes quite a bit to get the blade even close to it's original shape.  I like to even out the edge a little on the sander after grinding tho (edge away from the disc rotation direction).  And, no, I don't say a word about how many rocks I hear her hit.  We mow almost 4 acres and she is nice enough to do that....willingly. :shock:
George