Build Plan?

Started by 40PlymouthCoupe, December 03, 2004, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40PlymouthCoupe

I'm trying to work up a plan for the new Plymouth...is this a good or bad idea?
I'm thinking about buying a slightly older used/wrecked Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The idea would be to rob the interior seats and possibly the steering column.  This way, I have nice cushy, power seats.  Then, I will take the rearend so I have a modern rear axle (ideally with disc brakes, and a decent gear ratio).  Finally, I will have a modern, fuel injected engine to install.  
Obviously, I will still have to do something about a transmission, but I'm working on that.  Maybe some type of overdrive unit from a 2 wheel drive pickup?

kb426

I'm a believer in using a donor car. By starting with a 4 wheel drive, you limit yourself alot. I used older cars but took 3 to get most of my stuff. I started with an 80 monarch. I thought it had an 8" rear. Turned out it had a large tube 9". I used the fuel tank, all the brake system, wiring harness, tilt steering column, misc. stuff. I then used up an 83 tbird for the engine and aod trans. I could have used the seats but was going to use the bench from the monarch. Before I was finished, I ebayed a pair of 300m seats and a Durango console. When you start buying individual parts, the cost of your project rises dramatically. Being patient in finding the right donor could save thousands in short order.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Another thing to consider, if you are going to use any aftermarket parts, make sure you get a donor car that is compatible. Most aftermarket parts such as wiring harnesses are GM compatible, of course Mopar used GM tilt columns for many years, so did AMC, but after about 1988 they are Mopar built.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40PlymouthCoupe

I would like to at least keep my drive line all Mopar, but it makes sense to have my pieces compatible with items available from the aftermarket.  So for things like the steering column, if I were to look for a mopar donor car, I should look for a pre 1988 vehicle, right?
The whole wiring thing is kinda scary to me...I'm not sure I have the skills to take a harness off an existing vehicle and use adapt it to mine.  I was thinking of probably going with an aftermarket arrangement where I would have some instructions to follow.

My idea of the Jeep donor came because I saw one in running condition sell recently for $1000.  I thought that might be pretty reasonable for all of the parts I should be able to take from it.

kb426

If you don't have access to the cars wiring diagram, then it would be for very exp. only. The local dealer was king enough to loan me the service manual on the monarch  for a week so I could figure it out. As far as brand specific, I like the laa mopar idea, if you found a late model pickup with the 318 or 360, you could have fuel injection, overdrive trans, modern components.  If you use fuel injection, I'd sure try to use the factory harness on mopar. The aftermarket support is limited on that. Good luck.
TEAM SMART

Dirk35

There IS a reason that JEEP/Mopar/Chrysler products re-sale so cheap. Consider that.

Also, youll want your project vehicle in possession to inusre the rear-end width is close enough of your donor vehicle. I have found Ford Mercury 8.8 rear-ends to be great for most 50's vehicles, and are disc brakes and hung with a triangulated 4-link.

FWIW, the JEEP Cherokee Tank from the late 80's before they switched to plastic tanks is a GREAT tank shape, second only to the Mustang tank.