Frame Paint

Started by timkins, December 03, 2004, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I am abou to start a proces to repaint the frame on my 32 sedan and was wondering what anybody used to accomplish this task. Did you brush it on
or use a rattle can or a spray gun? What about POR? Enamel,Lacquer what is the best to use. BTW, the body is going to remain on the frame but I am going to pull the motor and transmission. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks

Russ

My frame was painted first and everytime I drove it it got a rock chip.

6 years later, I pulled the body and had it powder coated.

Now almost 12 years later it has 2 chips in it where I dropped a wrench on it.

If you got the time and the $$$$, Powder Coat is my choice...
[/img]
QuoteIf you can\'t keep up, stay on the porch.

timkins

I have the time but not the patience to strip the entire frame to powder coat it. I just found a guy yesterday that will sand blast and powder coat the frame for $300 and I had thought about it but not sure yet.

purplepickup

I had a few suggestions in mind until I saw your post about the $300 sandblast and powdercoat deal.  I would definitely go for that.  

In my opinion stripping all the parts off down to a bare frame is well worth the effort.  It gives you a chance to inspect everything real well, then when you put it back together you get well acquainted with your car.  If something does ever need fixing you will have a good feel for what you're dealing with.  Besides, it is a real pleasure to have easy to clean, painted parts to work with when you crawl under the car. :D
George

Russ

George, it is only clean if you keep it that way.

Over the past 4 or 5 years, I've just been a drivin em, I ain't been a keepin em that spotless........

Every once in awhile, I run the pressure washer under them, but not with the rag and da polish like I used to do.  TOOOOO ferkin old to get under there now...

Plus the shoulders are shot.  Can't raise my arm above my head no more.  They want to do surgery and I say NO WAY JOSE.  Seen too many tragic events from the knife......
[/img]

purplepickup

That's true Russ.  You're talking to a guy that will never be so fussy about cleaning that it gets in the way of having fun.  In fact sometimes just a rattlecan or brush paintjob does just fine.    The frame on my truck is just rustoleum and I touch it up with a spray can all the time.  It sees dirt roads, two tracks in the north woods, and a week every year on the salt flats.  But because of all that I think good protection is important.    If you can just wipe the salt off instead of dealing with the rust it saves a lot of work in the long run.  That's why I said I'd jump at a $300 powdercoat job.  Shoot, around here it costs that much just to have a frame sandblasted and primed.
George

Russ

I know,,,,,,,,,,,,  mine cost me $600 and I had to haul it to California.

No one at the time back here in the sticks had a big enough oven to hold the frame........
[/img]

Dave

Quote from: "timkins"I am abou to start a proces to repaint the frame on my 32 sedan and was wondering what anybody used to accomplish this task. Did you brush it on
or use a rattle can or a spray gun? What about POR? Enamel,Lacquer what is the best to use. BTW, the body is going to remain on the frame but I am going to pull the motor and transmission. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks

I did my 30 and the 34 in Imron and it held up great. Now the 32 is a whole different story cause its a highboy...
Dave

47wood

A lot guys down here have been real happy with epoxy primer then Emron which gives you more color choices like if you want to match the frame with the engine or exterior color ...powder coating is nice too.  You won't go wrong with either one.  You might be surprised what you find when you tear it all down and be glad you did!   Locally $300 is about the price for sand blasting and powder coating ...that is you bringing the frame in completely stripped.  :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!