What could be confusing about this

Started by 41woodie, November 29, 2004, 11:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Ok, long story not so short, the '41 Woodie has been sitting for several years while I got myself back together again.  I finally worked up the nerve to start to work on it and spent the day trying to sort out, and refresh my memory.  This was a running, driving car for several years when I tore it down to install new engine, trans etc.  and you all know the rest, the project ground to a halt (as they often do)

I started sorting through the wiring today and not much made sense.  I didn't do the original build but have added to the wiring over the years and thought I was fairly familiar with it. WRONG!! - The more I looked at it today the less sense anything made.  So out of desperation I got out the Ron Francis instruction sheet that I got when I swapped for the car many moons ago.  The instructions didn't seem to match the wiring on the car and after looking at the sheet I noticed that the serial number of the Ron Francis kit was written on the instructions and that the instructions were for a Ford engine, GM 1-wire alternator, points & condenser ignition and an Amp-gauge....... that's just fine and dandy but the car has a 350 chevy, 3-wire alternator, HEI and Voltmeter.

To my knowledge the Woodie never had a Ford engine (other than the old flathead) so I don't know if it did at one time or the guy that wired it got the kit on the cheap and modified it to work.  Who knows what the story is but it is sure taxing my limited electrical knowledge.

Does anyone have a set of RF instructions for a Chevy installation? I'm going to call RF tomorrow morning and cry on their shoulder.  I'm beginning to wonder if it might be easier to tear this mess out and start over.
Any thoughts on how to make the best of this bad deal??MH

SKR8PN

Don't scrap it and start all over......................
You only have 3 small problems...........

I have a RF kit in my truck..............But it is a DODGE setup so the directions won't help you whole lot.
BUT on the bright side,RF does at LEAST print the circuit name on the wire every 9 inches or so,so at least you have that going for you,and all the connections on the fuse panel are named,.............about all you gots left to worry about is the alt and distributor wiring (unless you are running EFI!) and that alt/amp guage swap............piece o cake!!
First off....the wire going to the "points" and coil,you won't need,but you WILL need a "key-on" ignition source for your HEI. a Test light and some probing around the fuse panel will get you that. Swap that 3 wire Alt for a one wire,and your "in like Flynn" on problem #2................as for the voltmeter part........track that wire down,starting at the guage, and see where it goes.You may just have to relocate the other end of that one wire to get a proper reading on your guage. See,now that wasn't so hard,was it??? :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

GPster

Quote from: "41woodie"

The instructions didn't seem to match the wiring on the car and after looking at the sheet I noticed that the serial number of the Ron Francis kit was written on the instructions and that the instructions were for a Ford engine, GM 1-wire alternator, points & condenser ignition and an Amp-gauge

To my knowledge the Woodie never had a Ford engine (other than the old flathead)
Any thoughts ? MH
It is possible that the wiring was up-dated before any engine changing was done. There was a time in the past that an ammeter was the preferance not a voltmeter and that is probably what the car had originally. Also there are times that a 1 wire GM alternator is used on a flathead to get 12V easily and eliminate the whole generator/voltage regulator wiring. Sometimes these things look better after a good nights sleep. I wonder what the chaplin is doing? probably trying to get that rambler nearer the lift. GPster

HotRodLadyCrusr

I believe I do.  It's at home and will take a bit to dig thru the paperwork I have on Big Olds but I'll look tonight and if so it would be my pleasure to either fax you a copy tomorrow or send it in the mail.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

41woodie

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I believe I do.  It's at home and will take a bit to dig thru the paperwork I have on Big Olds but I'll look tonight and if so it would be my pleasure to either fax you a copy tomorrow or send it in the mail.

Thanks that would be a lot of help. Let me know if you find them. I do have a fax machine so that will work MH

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "41woodie"Snip . . .I'm beginning to wonder if it might be easier to tear this mess out and start over.
Any thoughts on how to make the best of this bad deal??MH

If the harness hasn't been butchered, don't tear it out, there is probably not too much wrong.

I'd get both diagrams side by side.  I expect the differences will be minor, and if it used to start and charge, there is a good chance those circuits have already been 'adjusted'.  A lot of people prefer the Ford system, with the starter relay, on a Chev., so it may have been wired like that intentionally.

HotRodLadyCrusr

I found all the RF wiring paperwork in the box with the left over wiring.  I can fax you everything today.  Reply with your fax or send me a PM here on the RRT.  If you send me an email I won't get it till tonite.

Good Luck

rooster

Quote from:  that's just fine and dandy but the car has a 350 chevy, 3-wire alternator, HEI and Voltmeter[/quote

this is for a internaly regulated alt, from painless!

HotRodLadyCrusr

Russ

Denise, it is good to see you are alive and well.

Have missed you and the Big Olds on Hot Rod Power Tour.
[/img]
QuoteIf you can\'t keep up, stay on the porch.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Since I got a "real" 9-5 job a couple of years ago my vacation time is limited and very precious to me.  I have choosen to do new and different car related activites.  The summer of 2003 I drove Big Olds out to B'ville for Speed Week on the salt flats and this past summer I did some long weekend car shows and events that I hadn't been to before.

If/when the Power Tour goes back out to the west coast I'll probley do it again but hanging in the midwest doesn't really excite me enough to spend the vacation time.  

Depending on the timing, I might decide to do a long weekend on PT if it hits IL, IN, OH, KY, TN etc. this upcoming summer.  I'll have to wait to make that decision once the route is announced.

So what's new in your life?

Russ

Route has been announced darlin.
June 4 - Milwaukee, WI
June 5 - Springfield, IL
June 6 - Indianapolis, IN  Nationals Drag Strip on Clermont
June 7 - Nashville, TN
June 8 - Birmingham, AL
June 9 - Tallahassee, FL
June 10 - Kissimmee, FL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Since I done went over the 70 years old, I have basically retired the Trike for Power Tour.  Well a couple of mishaps with it also helped.  Hit a pheasant one year before the Tour and cost me a radiator that took 8 months to get built.   Then I had a guy back into me and bend my front forks.   Went from 35MM to 41MM tubes and the Triple tree and etc.  What a mess that was.  Still trying to find a front fender for it.  Hopefully Xmas it will come.    So I been a renting Mustang's from Hertz Rent A car and enjoying the A/C, power steering and the extra storage room for chairs and etc.

Got 2 more grandkids, and 1 great grandkid since I saw ya'll in Nebraska Run.
[/img]

HotRodLadyCrusr

Thanks for the route info.  BilletProof Detroit is Saturday June 4th which I'm staying in town for but Springfield isn't that far from me.  Maybe I'll meet up with the tour on Sunday in Springfield and cruz to Indy then bonza back.  I can call in sick for a day...cough,cough.  :shock:

Congrats ont he new grandkids and great grand child....man your getting OLD :lol:  I still love ya though :wink:

Dave

So did you ever get the wiring figured out or do i have to come over there and do it ?
Dave :lol:

Russ

Chevrolet wants their transmission back.........  The Squad car was never supposed to of went to the salvage yard.   Chevrolet found out about it and was there the next day with an enclosed van and took it back to Detroit.

They stopped in at the kids shop and they want the transmission also.  Can we say it must of been a TEST car and a test tranny.

Working on a deal where Chevrolet will give me one I can make work in exchange for the one I have.........  Will work for me...  Now if I could just get em to install it also that would be nice........  Only have a 11" driveshaft, and it is a bear to get in and out...... That is OVERALL length, shaft and u-joints......
[/img]