New kid on the block, got a auto tranny question.

Started by Russ, November 29, 2004, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

The 3 wheel unit has a 383 Chevy Stroker, 350 TH tranny and a Suburban 3.23 gear rearend.

I bought a transmission out of a 2003 Chevy Police Cruiser, (Impala), which is a OD unit.

Since I do not have a computer in this rig, is there a way I can fool the transmission into thinking there is one there and get a benefit from the OD tranny?  Or did I buy a boat anchor?      :lol:

Any assistance would be most greatly appreciated.

You can e-mail me at rjb448@hotmail.com  if you so desire o save bandwidth.........

TIA  Russ........
[/img]
QuoteIf you can\'t keep up, stay on the porch.

Crosley.In.AZ

A 2003 Impala police vehicle is a FWD platform.

You will need a RWD tranny.

Perhaps you have the application wrong or what??

1993 and up the 4L60 was full electronic control ( 4L60E ).  You cannot fool the tranny into shifting and internal pressure control with out a computer.

A possiblity is converting it to a full manual shift with a vacuum control main line pressure.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Russ

Apparently this is not a 2003.

It is a RWD vehicle.  

On the windshield at the salvage yard it said 2003.

Tomorrow I'll go get the Vin and check it out........

Thanks............
[/img]

Leon

Russ - you could just change the rear gears down to 2.80s to help your mileage.  As light as that rig is I don't think you need much of a first gear to get it going.

Russ

This rearend does not have a set of gears that go that low. It would have to be after market and so far I have not had any luck getting aftermarket items for this rear end.  It is a bast*rd rear end I'm told.....  Since I already have the 4 link welded on to this housing, I'll run it till it breaks and then I'll worry about getting a FORD 9" under there...

My current 3.23's are as low as they go..

The Police Cruiser is a Caprice platform, and it is a 2003 with Impala markings..........  Anyway that is what Chevy is telling me.....  They were not for the General Public to purchase.  Chevy really quizzed me when I gave em the VIN # before they would give me any information.
[/img]