Diesel Fuel and generator questions....................

Started by SKR8PN, November 28, 2004, 08:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

I am thinking about setting up a permanent,emergency generator(10-12,000 watt unit),and am curious about the life span of diesel fuel. Does it go bad over a period or time, like gasoline does? I know about the jelling and the mold problems,but does it turn to varnish like gasoline?  Or do you think I would be money ahead to go with a propane powered unit? I have propane already,but if the power went out when the tank was low,the gen set may not have the fuel when I need it! If I go with a diesel unit,I am thinking 200 to 300 gallons for fuel storage,hence the questions about life span............
What does the brain trust think? Diesel or Propane???
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

tom36

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I am thinking about setting up a permanent,emergency generator(10-12,000 watt unit),and am curious about the life span of diesel fuel. Does it go bad over a period or time, like gasoline does? I know about the jelling and the mold problems,but does it turn to varnish like gasoline?  Or do you think I would be money ahead to go with a propane powered unit? I have propane already,but if the power went out when the tank was low,the gen set may not have the fuel when I need it! If I go with a diesel unit,I am thinking 200 to 300 gallons for fuel storage,hence the questions about life span............
What does the brain trust think? Diesel or Propane???

Diesel fuel will go bad over time. I believe it starts in as little as 30 days.  when it goes bad, it changes color and gets a fungus or mold-- not to mention jelling when it gets cold.  If it's for emergency use only,  and you have propane, that's the route I'd go.  just my 2 cents. Tom..

58 Yeoman

I've seen cans of 'diesel fuel conditioner' on the shelf.  Does it help with that problem?  Or, is it just mouse milk  like a lot oil/gas additives?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Bruce Dorsi

How often, and how long, are you without power each month or year?

Guessing that a 10K-12K watt generator will burn approx 2 gallons of diesel per hour, a 300 gallon tank would last for approx 150 hours of running time.

If you opt for diesel, I'd go with a much smaller tank, and re-fuel more frequently.  

Any emergency generator is only good if it works when needed!  ....The generators with a timer-controlled exercise cycle are a wise choice.

If you are worried about your large propane tank running out when you need the generator, you may want to consider a smaller, free-standing, propane bottle as an "emergency" supply.  ...It could be a very cost-effective insurance of always having propane on-hand.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

47wood

Have a fair amount of experience with emergency generators ...diesel, gasoline, nat'l gas, both for commercial radio stations and on ocean going boats.  I'd pick the natural gas (propane) first ...you won't ever have to worry about dirty/contaminated fuel, clogged lines, etc.  And, the suggestion about a timer controlled excercise cycle ...20-30 minutes once a week is a wise one.  Also, don't forget to keep a maintenance log and change the oil, fuel filters(if present), and air filters as recommended.  Of course the ideal is to have an automatic transfer switch that senses power loss and fires the generator then brings it on line as soon as it's stable ...but those are probably cost prohibitive for home use.  The key with an emergency generator is it starts when you need it ...you'd be surprised how many won't ...usually due to a dead battery or bad fuel.  Good Luck.   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

SKR8PN

Thanks for the input everyone. Bruce, our power doesn't really go out on a regular basis,like once a month,but,when it DOES go out,it can be for anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours or longer. I have a freezer and the refridgerator/freezer full of food,and sump pumps that keep my finished basement dry. If we happen to lose power during a heavy rain,my basement WILL flood without power,not to mention the lack of lights and TV! I like the idea of an extra propane tank just for the gen-set............
I already have a portable 6000 watt unit for emergency's but it is getting to be a pain in the butt to drag outside,plug it in,hit the transfer switch,yadda,yadda,yadda,not to mention the room I lose in my shop to storing the thing!  I also like theidea of  propane being  cleaner than diesel fuel.
Looks like I am going to be in the market  for a propane powered unit :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Russ

On our shop we have a stand alone generator, which has come in very handy over the past 20 years.........

It is set to cycle itself and run for 30 minutes once a month.  The battery for it has a charger set on a timer that charges the battery for 20 minutes once a week.  Battery is inside the warm shop, power plan is inside an attached building, built just for the generator.  Battery and motor are like 10' apart.......  Bottle gas sets outside in the cold air......

We fuel it with a 100# bottle gas (propane) bottle.   If it should run out on us we have a small 20# tank to handle it till we can get our 100# bottle refilled......

So far it has only failed to start once.  Some idiot, won't say who, put a new bottle on and forgot to turn the gas valve on.....  My son hasn't forgot that, and that was 16 years ago........
[/img]
QuoteIf you can\'t keep up, stay on the porch.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Bruce, our power doesn't really go out on a regular basis,like once a month,but,when it DOES go out,it can be for anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours or longer. I have a freezer and the refridgerator/freezer full of food,and sump pumps that keep my finished basement dry. If we happen to lose power during a heavy rain,my basement WILL flood without power,not to mention the lack of lights and TV!

....Just to clarify, I wasn't questioning your NEED for the generator, Jim.  I think they are a valuable item to have!

I was just trying to figure how long it would take to deplete a 300 gallon tank of diesel.  ....If your power outage is only 100 hours, or less, per year, the fuel would probably deteriorate/contaminate before it is consumed.  

I've looked at some of the stationary units on sale in Home Depot and Lowes, as well as in some farm stores and the Northern Hydraulics catalog. ....Most feature automatic transfer switches and automatic exercise cycles, and seem to be fairly priced.

I'm fortunate to have natural gas piped to my home, so that would be the most convenient, and my fuel of choice.  ....I tend to get complacent because we only lose power approx 20 hours per year, with our longest-lasting outage to date only 10-12 hours.  ....However, when the "big one" hits, I'll be kicking myself in the butt for not acting sooner!   :oops:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!