Home page theft

Started by Dusty, November 19, 2004, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Some time back, the question of computer home page theft came up.  This is where a page pops up and takes over the home page, and no matter what you do short of shutting down you can't get rid of it....Does anyone remember where that post was???  I need some help to get rid of this.*%#@ thing that is taking over the computer...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

unklian

Try using the search function near the top of the page,and search for "spybot".That might find the thread your looking for.

Dusty

Spybot won't fix this problem....It is not a regular PopUp problem....It is actually an ad page taking over the operation of the computer.  I'm running Spybot, McAfee, Spyhunter, and Enigma popup program.  This is something entirely different.  I saw it discussed here a couple of months, ago, and several members have had the same problem, and there was a "Fix" discussed.  Hopefully one of the previously affected members will remember where the post is...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

Dusty

Unklian.....
After I typed my last response, I went and ran the Spybot in the search mode...BINGO!!!!, You hit the nail on the head...All of the discussion was there.  Thanks for the help.
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

rooster

Quote from: "Dusty"Unklian.....
After I typed my last response, I went and ran the Spybot in the search mode...BINGO!!!!, You hit the nail on the head...All of the discussion was there.  Thanks for the help.
You might want to try adaware 6 also Lavasoft.com I know there new SE addition checks for hijack attempts. There old addition quite upgrading the first week ok NOV. Probly imformation there to.

58 Yeoman

You can go to http://pestpatrol.com/ to do an online scan.  It's free, and will tell you where the problem is, but you will have to go into the registry to delete the problems.  I imagine if you buy the program, it would do it for you.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I changed over to mozilla firefox. That eliminates all of the pop ups. I've been using it for a couple of months now with no problems.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Dusty,

I had an outbreak a while back and had to get some outside help. Once we got it cleaned up I went to the  Mozilla browser also. It's quite a bit faster than IE and has some built in protection. I'm also using NoAdware v.20 to check daily and so far Mozilla is doing it's jon. I also am using an AVG Anti-virus free edition that the tech put up for me. So far it's doing what it should. I have gotten in the habit of running the scans everyday and defragging once a week. Things are running a lot smoother.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

mopar2dr

Sounds like you got a "homepage hijacker". If your running Windows XP download SpywareBlaster, it is free and once activated to protect you browser(s) will stop this and lots of other nastys. Upgrades are free as well. I use Firefox as my browser(go to mozilla.org to download) it to will stop many of these crappy spy/hijackers. SpywareBlaster will also protect Firefox as well as Interneet Exporer.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

jaybee

When I had one on my machine the only thing that fixed it was to do a System Restore.  It was incredibly aggravating because the thing was buried so deep it didn't seem as if anything would eliminate it completely.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dusty

Well.....I took all the advice, and all the discussion, and went to work....I got rid of the hijacker, and installed some more preventative software.  I'm back on the wind again....
Thanks for all the help...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Dusty,

I had an outbreak a while back and had to get some outside help. Once we got it cleaned up I went to the  Mozilla browser also. It's quite a bit faster than IE and has some built in protection. I'm also using NoAdware v.20 to check daily and so far Mozilla is doing it's jon. I also am using an AVG Anti-virus free edition that the tech put up for me. So far it's doing what it should. I have gotten in the habit of running the scans everyday and defragging once a week. Things are running a lot smoother.

Charlie

I went back to netscape last week IE sucks netscape is faster i tried the firefox and didnt like it near as much as i can get my mail and quick with netscape and the java works for chat too..
Dave

Crafty

Windows XP Service Pack 2 has a built in popup blocker. If you have XP and the automatic updates are turned on you should of been asked to download it by now, only drawback is its pretty big for a dialup connection, anything over a 256k connection will be fine.

Overdrive

If your HOME PAGE has been altered you can restore/change it from the TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS general page. I use the right hand button myself ( Use Blank page) as IE does not even have to access the net to come up. If you have a specific page you want just navigate to it and use the left (use current) button.

This setting can be altered without putting anything on your machine, several sites ask do you want to make "my junkie page" :twisted:  your home page an Presto Chango you always open to that page when you start IE and if it is a hostile page you are dead.

Good luck
Overdrive :b-d: