Will these heads fit on my 302?

Started by 32 Chevy, November 16, 2004, 08:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

I think I want to bid on some Ford heads that have 1.9 intakes and 1.5 exhaust valves, but without opening my motor I don't recall if the pistons in my stock '78 have valve reliefs cut in the piston tops. I know the existing stock heads have valves approximately 1.78 intake and 1.46 exhaust so those big valves should really ler 'er breathe.

Anyone out there know if these large valve heads are interchangeable with any 302 or are there specific pistons required?

Thanks!

Dave R

Phil55

I put a set of 351 2 barrel heads with Chevy 2.02 valves on my 302 with no problem.  From what I remember, most of the late model 302s use flat piston tops (Stock).  I wouldn't think you would have a problem with what you are thinking.

However, with any non-stock build, you should check clearances. Put a dab of clay on the piston top, bolt on the head (old head gasket will do), and crank her by hand thru TDC.  Pull it apart and check to see how much clearance you have.

If you change a cam, this is a good practice as well.

Dirk35

My psitons have a ever so slight dome to them, and four valve reliefs in them. Silv-o-lights I believe.

I THINK I still have some of the stock cheap-o's Ill give you free if you need them. New. Just cheap brand. You pay the shipping of course. They have the total relief in the middle if I still have them.