Mopar rearend question

Started by 40PlymouthCoupe, November 15, 2004, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40PlymouthCoupe

Well, I finally made the decision and sprung for it.  The 72 Demon is gone and has been replaced by a 40 Plymouth Coupe.  Now the work begins!

My rear wheel cylinders are leaking badly.  Is there an inexpensive fix for this?  I have found replacement cylinders at PlyDo, but they are listed in my OLD catalog at $55 each.  My intention is to eventually upgrade to a modern rearend, so I don't really want to spend $110 on something that I'm not going to use in another year or so.  Along those lines, can anybody tell me what rearend I may be able to bolt in to my coupe?  For the money, maybe I should just swap a new rearend in now.  I would prefer to stick with an all Mopar driveline.  I was thinking of probably an A-body 8 3/4 rear or possibly something out of a Volare or similar vehicle.  Any suggestions?

58 Yeoman

Take your cylinders apart and look on the rubber cup for the size.  Look for a auto parts store that sells the cups individually.  You might also ask them if they have rebuild kits for your size cylinder.

Of course, your cylinders have to be in good shape to hone out and rebuild.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

As I recall, a 60's B body rear is a bolt in, spring perches and all. The only problem I see is the driveshaft, you will have to have one made to fit the Ujoint on the newer rear end, with a trunion joint on the front to fit the old trans. I seem to recall some of the early 60's Mopars were set up like this if you can find one the right length.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.