Chev alternator bracket

Started by Topsterguy, November 15, 2004, 01:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I'm looking for a OEM alternator bracket to mount my alternator on the drivers side on the front of the head. I don't want to use the aftermarket one that goes on the header bolts tho, they tend to loosen up a lot. As well as the bracket I would use the usual arm that goes on the water pump and up to the alternator. Any ideas?? :)
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

awsum34

You could try the bone yard. I can't remember if it's the right or left side bracket. But Superior Chevrolet dealership sell them in there parts department.  might even try these guys out. www.junkyarddog.com
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

GPster

Long or short water pump? Late model heads with bolt holes in the front or early heads? GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

If you're using a short pump you wont be able to mount the alt. in front of the head. Allen Grove's have a nice steel bracket set-up in either case. Not cheap but well made and not billet if you're not billet inclined. If you have a long bup there are GM brackets that mount the alt. in front of the head on the pass. side.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I have modified right side brackets to mount the alternator on the left side, but it moves the alternator forward enough that you have to use the second groove of a two groove pulley. I used a 302 Ford adjustment bracket off the water pump, with the GM lower bracket modified to fit.

Bill's Hot Rod Shop has some nice brackets too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank,

I've seem that done too but didn't like the looks of it as well. Haven't used the Bill's Hot Rod Shop brackets.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

OK here's what I've got and maybe it might help. They used short water pumps and the late style heads on trucks and Corvettes in the late '60s and early '70s, I doesn't put the alternator in front of the head but it will put it near the exhaust side of the valve cover with about half of the alternator in front of the front edge of the valve cover and the back half of the alternatorat the front side of the valve cover, Look under the hood of a truck or Corvette of those years to see if it will do what you want. This is done by a factory cast iron bracket. Cast in the bracket are the numbers 3951337. To assure myself of the years mine happensa dtae stamp on it of10 / 15 / 68 and I say the same bracunder the hood of a '71 vet. GPster

DRD57

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Frank,

I've seem that done too but didn't like the looks of it as well. Haven't used the Bill's Hot Rod Shop brackets.

Charlie

I've got Bill's brackets on both of my heaps. Work great. Look good too. They connect using the water pump to block bolts and one intake manifold bolt. The have models for either side.

Topsterguy

Thanks guys!  I'm using a short water pump. On my roadster I have an aluminum after market bracket and it lines the alt pulley up with the one pulley on the balancer perfect. I can probably get another one of these brackets for the coupe but I thought there might be a better one. Where;s Bill's Hot Rod Shop?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"