Intro: Engine swap for a 1950 chevy deluxe

Started by 50chevydan, November 14, 2004, 06:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50chevydan

I am 20 years old and an autobody student.I live near Rooster and he recommended this site. I have recently purchased my first hot rod project. It is a 1950 Chevy Deluxe with the original drivetrain, at first I was going to keep it all original, because of the lack of money, but then I got offered a 350 with a 350 turbo transmission.  I was just wondering what were some of the possible ways to swap the motors. Would the inner fenders or frame need to be altered? Can I keep the original king-pin front suspension? Are there any mounts that are prefered? What about the heater core and the air dams? Any input would be a great help to help me start on my new project.
                                                                        Thanks,
                                                                         Dan

enjenjo

The only serious modification needed is removing the ribs on the firewall. Otherwise the engine and trans will drop right in. If it;s in good shape, the original radiator will cool it fine. I use 69 Camaro style mounts, and build a tower on the crossmember to bolt them to. Left exhaust manifold is the only tight spot, a 55 V8 manifold will clear, there are some others too. Use a Camaro or Nova rear end, if you mount things right, the Nova driveshaft will work too.

Welcome to the RRT
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Welcome to RRT!  Glad to see ya made here! You will have to go junk yard shoping with me and greg. I know theres a few guys here with late 40s early 50s chevys. I took this picture the day you brought it home, it looks to me you got a good one to start with.

Bib_Overalls

Chassis Engineering makes bolt in front and transmission mounts for swapping the 350/350 package into a 49-54 Chevy.  And they work with the original front suspension.

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/chevy/1949-1954chev.htm

Best $150 you will spend.  It will save you a lot of frustration and fabrication and when you are finished you will know the job was done right.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

phat rat

Welcome to the board. Car looks to be in decent condition. I learned to drive in a 51 fastback just like that.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

GPster

Forgot about this last night at chat. The early '50s Chevrolet front suspension stuff was used on Corvetts til '58 . Maybe on a Corvette site you can find an answer for up-graded Front brakes That just is better shoes/drums and will leave your pedal and master cylinder alone. GPster

Welcome! The folks at Chassis Engineering are good people!Good product at a fair price with super customer service.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

rumrumm

Go to www.chevytalk.org website and check with the Corvette forum about front end upgrades. It is one of the best websites for information.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

rooster

I have some older ram horn manafolds, the kind that dump from the center, is this the 55
v8 type, Dan is welcome to them if there the right ones. I know the engine he getting is a
350 Fuel injected , if hes not going to use the fuel injection and go to a carb will a HEI
dizzy become a issue in the fit, allowing for the removal of the dizzy after the engine is
installed?
I have a older cast 4bll intake and a junker HEI dizzy hes welcome too for the fit.
Someone mention that the engine would be better mounted 1" from center to the right for
more clearance.  Another thing to keep in mind would be allowance for the removal of
350 trans after the installion .  The short water pump was also suggested for more
clearance. I seen the post BIB made about Chassie Eng and was wonders if there kits have
all these positions per-determined for proper fit!

enjenjo

The CE kit centers the engine. A Nova Camaro pinion is offset to the right. The tight spot in the installation of the engine is on the left, steering box/linkage and the exhaust manifold.  Setting the engine 1" to the right helps cure this problem. With the engine offset the ram horn will probably fit, depending on just which style it is. The outlet position varies. The 55 manifold is a log type manifold which sets high, and has the outlet toward the front.  You can use it with an S shaped headpipe that goes down in front of the steering box, under the drag link, and back up next to the convertor to clear the stock steering linkage.

To be able to remove the trans with the engine in, you will have to cut out the center of the K member, and reattach it with flanges of some type. This screws up the stock E brake linkage, but you can't use it anyway because the factory handle, actually a rod, interferes with the engine near the firewall. I used a 60's Ford Falcon/Mustang/Fairlane handle and front cable to replace the stock one, a near bolt in, and fabed the rear cable to fit. Ends up similar to S10 cable routing.

You can modify the stock shift linkage to run a turbo 350, Glide linkage is easier, but stick linkage isn't much harder. You can use a Locar neutral safety switch. I also did one with a Monza mini console and shifter with the neutral switch built into the shifter.

The Nova/Camaro rear is the right width, the spring perches are wrong, and the center bolt hole on the springs is in the wrong location, you can get the right perches from RB's and a couple others. If you have a 55 to 57 chevy rear end lying around, it will fit right in with new center bolt holes. An 8" rear out of a 68 or 69 Torino fits too, as does a 61 to 64 full size Ford rear with new spring perches. The stock rear E brake cables will fit any of these rears.

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

rooster

If you go with disk brakes on the front CE has a kit for your stock spindle if you cant make one yourself! I think Frank said S10 4WD roters. http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/brakes.htm

enjenjo

QuoteI think Frank said S10 4WD rotors.

That is for do it yourself discs. 78 to 85 Toronado and Rivi front rotors will work too, they are 11" And 60's Corvette rear rotors are 12" if you want really big brakes. Any of these are the right bolt pattern to fit on the stock hubs with very little work. All you have to do is fab a caliper bracket then. And you can usually cobble that out of a full size 4x4 Blazer front backing plate.

50chevydan

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteI think Frank said S10 4WD rotors.

That is for do it yourself discs. 78 to 85 Toronado and Rivi front rotors will work too, they are 11" And 60's Corvette rear rotors are 12" if you want really big brakes. Any of these are the right bolt pattern to fit on the stock hubs with very little work. All you have to do is fab a caliper bracket then. And you can usually cobble that out of a full size 4x4 Blazer front backing plate.

Thanks for all of the help. I was also wondering what type of calipers I  could use or if the stock s10 rotors would be suitable. I have read that almost any can be used from any standard chevys from I think 1970-1978. Also I was wondering if there were any supports that I would need for the firewall after removing the ribs.
                                                       Thanks,
                                                              Dan

enjenjo

The calipers depend on which rotor you use. But there are GM calipers that will fit any of the rotors listed