Trivia Time

Started by awsum34, November 13, 2004, 05:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Not only do I remember cigarette loads, I remember what happened to me after putting one in my dad's smokes. (I took a pin and pushed it waaay down toward the filter so it practically took his lip off, seemed like a good idea at the time).

av8

Quote from: "Olderndirt"
Quote from: "Olderndirt"
Quote from: "Faat Rod"Red Ryder had a sidekick, Little Beaver, he had a pony, can't remember it's name.

B :?: B

Wasn't it something like "Buckskin?"

BTW, folks here in my age group gotta remember the fat little books for kids. The format was about 4 x 5 inches, printed on newsprint in large 12-pt type, couple hundred pages with a hard cover of sorts, no story-related pictures, although some did have an appropriate "flip-book" incorporated on the upper right-hand corner of each right page. Anyway, I had a couple of Red Ryder books in this format as well as a "Terry and the Pirates" story, one "* Tracy," and others whose titles I can't recall. In retrospect, I think it was a great concept in that it encouraged children to read -- no pictures to tell the story.

I haven't seen any of these in years. I'm guessing they were phased out after WWII, if not before, but one would think they'd show up at swap meets. The cheap printing and bindery methods that were used could have doomed them, however. Just wonderin' . . .

av8

Quote from: "av8"BTW, folks here in my age group gotta remember the fat little books for kids. . .

Just did a quick search on Google . . . They're called "Big Little" books and they are being cherished and collected . . .

http://www.biglittlebooks.com/

Here's a typical BLB cover, not mine, however.

enjenjo

Quote from: "41woodie"Not only do I remember cigarette loads, I remember what happened to me after putting one in my dad's smokes. (I took a pin and pushed it waaay down toward the filter so it practically took his lip off, seemed like a good idea at the time).

Been there, done that, got the same reaction :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

QuoteBTW, folks here in my age group gotta remember the fat little books for kids. The format was about 4 x 5 inches, printed on newsprint in large 12-pt type, couple hundred pages with a hard cover of sorts, no story-related pictures, although some did have an appropriate "flip-book" incorporated on the upper right-hand corner of each right page. Anyway, I had a couple of Red Ryder books in this format as well as a "Terry and the Pirates" story, one "* Tracy," and others whose titles I can't recall. In retrospect, I think it was a great concept in that it encouraged children to read -- no pictures to tell the story.

I haven't seen any of these in years. I'm guessing they were phased out after WWII, if not before, but one would think they'd show up at swap meets. The cheap printing and bindery methods that were used could have doomed them, however. Just wonderin' . . .

The Big Little Books were still available in the early 50's.

I have three of them in fairly good shape.
Red Ryder.
Tarzan.
Donald Duck.

Looking back, an interesting range of choices.

I'd tell you the full titles, but all of my books are not unpacked yet.

Gettin there though.... :D
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

Tom Mix - tony.

Gene Autry - Champion.

Dale Evans - Buttermilk.

Cisco Kid - Diablo.

Pancho (Cisco Kid's sidekick) - (Leo Carillo) - Loco.

Hopalong Cassidy - Topper.

Bob Steele - Brownie (saw him fly into the Santa Paula airport one morning when we were getting ready to fly out.  He had his name emblazoned on the side of the plane - forget what it was though.

And Tonto was? -

In fact, what does Kemo Sabe mean?
Lots of answers to this one, but I saw a Lone Ranger TV show where Tonto explained that Kemo Sabe meant "Trusty Scout."
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

av8

Tonto's horse was Scout. How could you forget "Get 'em up, Scout!"? :lol:

BTW, Cisco was played by Duncan Reynaldo on radio. How about TV?

Jbird

Here's one for the younger old guys. What was the license plate number on Cheech's 63 Chebby low rider in 'Up In Smoke"?
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

purplepickup

Quote from: "Jbird"Here's one for the younger old guys. What was the license plate number on Cheech's 63 Chebby low rider in 'Up In Smoke"?
MUFFDIVER or something like that.  Now where's that little smiley that licks his lips? :twisted:
George

KustomLincolnLady

You guys sure are a bunch of old farts!!! LOL

But I still luv ya!!! :wink:  :wink:

There were a few things (very few) LOL, in there I remember, some I remember just from hearing others talk about them.
Debb

56ngirl

1)  Nintendo frist came out; My brother used to smack the cartridges on the floor when they didn't work.
2)  Pogo Sticks; that bird was killed out by explorers.  They must have eaten the sticks parts.
3)  Soda shops;I see those in the movies.
4)  Lassie; my dad told me that the nieghbor down the street was the first house to have a TV, and he thought that for the longest time, Lassie was on whenever the TV would be turned on.
5)  The start of Rock and Roll...It was some black guys first quote after a crazy concert...the interviewer asked him what he was playing...
6)  Big Chief tablets...... :shock:
7)  Phone number starting with Letters...right after the age of the dinosaur..
8)  8 or 4 tracks; my grandfather had boxes of them
9)  Cork Guns...pellet guns?
10)  Putting baseball card in your spokes...clipping little plastic beads on your spokes that only made noise at slow speeds.
11)  Black Jack gum....Jawbreakers
12)  Howdy Doody; the Polka Dot Door...Casey and Finnegan
13)  S$H green stamps :?
14)  cigarette loads...Copenhagen snuff
15)  heel taps. (that went on the heel of your shoes);  pennies with holes drilled in them in your rainbow laces
16)  Roy Rodger's horse's name  Trigger.  what was the name of the evil character cats in the Smurfs?
17)  Poodle Shirts; I see those at car shows.
18)  Hula Hoop; koosh ball
19)  American Bandstand...I got nothin'
20) 21) 22)  Only the stuff of legends....
23)  Bellbottom pants;all the rage.
24)  25)  So far ahead of their time...there still not back yet.

Still alittle wet behind the ears...I guess....

Crosley.In.AZ

Wallace and Ladmo...... a local AZ kids show.  

36 years on TV , same channel
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"Wallace and Ladmo...... a local AZ kids show.  

Another local kids (New York metropolitan area?) Sandy Becker GPster

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Crosley"Wallace and Ladmo...... a local AZ kids show.  

Another local kids (New York metropolitan area?) Sandy Becker GPster

Well, I liked Shari Lewis and Lambchops!!

Land Yacht

Quote from: "awsum34"Lets see if anybody will tell on there age.

How many of these to you remember:

1)  Nintendo frist came out
2)  Pogo Sticks
3)  Soda shops
4)  Lassie
5)  The start of Rock and Roll
6)  Big Chief tablets
7)  Phone number starting with Letters
8)  8 or 4 tracks
9)  Cork Guns
10)  Putting baseball card in your spokes
11)  Black Jack gum
12)  Howdy Doody
13)  S$H green stamps
14)  cigarette loads
15)  heel taps. (that went on the heel of your shoes)
16)  Roy Rodger's horse's name
17)  Poodle Shirts
18)  Hula Hoop
19)  American Bandstand
20)  Metal adjustable skates
21)  Women burning their bra's
22)  Bottle coke for 10 cents
23)  Bellbottom pants
24)  Disco dancing
25)  penny loafers

Hope i didn't make anybody feel old. just want you to have some flash backs

Nintendo, about 1987

Big Chief tablets, had them in 3rd grade

cigarette loads, came in a small tin, they also had something called the auto-fooler, the car ignition would light it, seemed like a very bad idea

had some skates with metal wheels, noisey

had my pop's  daisey cork gun, shot bb's too

used cardboard in the bike spokes, anything that would make noise
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter