New guy with an intro and a question...

Started by efingstein, November 12, 2004, 11:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

New guy reporting for duty. I'm a regular on the HAMB (JK) and decided to join over here also. A little less drama over here. Also, I can view this from work. I'm in the final stages of getting my 425 nailhead powered 1951 Merc back on the road after taking the backseat to other projects for a few years. I'm married and just brought my new daughter home yesterday, 11/11/04. I've been into hot rods my entire life, and built quite a few decent customs, no hot rods or street rods yet. My Merc has a MII front clip with a power rack. I intend on using the buick PS pump. Do I really need to use a pressure reduction valve or can I run it for a while without it? Is there a way to modify the pressure spring in the pump to put out less pressure? Can I just fill the rack and pump and take the belt off and go without PS for now? Sorry for so many questions right off the bat, but, I need to figure these things out. Thanks.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

tomslik

i'm running a run-of-the-mill gm pump on my mII rack, haven't killed it yet.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

rooster

Quote from: "efingstein"New guy reporting for duty. I'm a regular on the HAMB (JK) and decided to join over here also. A little less drama over here. Also, I can view this from work. I'm in the final stages of getting my 425 nailhead powered 1951 Merc back on the road after taking the backseat to other projects for a few years. I'm married and just brought my new daughter home yesterday, 11/11/04. I've been into hot rods my entire life, and built quite a few decent customs, no hot rods or street rods yet. My Merc has a MII front clip with a power rack. I intend on using the buick PS pump. Do I really need to use a pressure reduction valve or can I run it for a while without it? Is there a way to modify the pressure spring in the pump to put out less pressure? Can I just fill the rack and pump and take the belt off and go without PS for now? Sorry for so many questions right off the bat, but, I need to figure these things out. Thanks.
Im running a GM pump also! Dont expect much from the Preasure reduction valve, What kind of problem are you having? There a load of information in the archives, look under MII,or mustang ! Welcome to RRT.

enjenjo

You can also use an 80's T bird rack, it works fine with a stock GM pump.

Welcome to the RRT!!!
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

efingstein

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't hooked it up yet because I'd heard stories about blowing seals on the MII racks. I'll try to hook up the rack I have, if I blow it up, I'll try a t-bird rack.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

enjenjo

Never blew the seals on one, but they are too sensitive. Set it up with more caster too, 6 degrees or so.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

awsum34

if you han't got it hooked up yet. now would be the best time to replace the spring. Then you won't have to worry about it.
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "efingstein"New guy reporting for duty. I'm a regular on the HAMB (JK) and decided to join over here also. A little less drama over here. Also, I can view this from work. I'm in the final stages of getting my 425 nailhead powered 1951 Merc back on the road after taking the backseat to other projects for a few years. I'm married and just brought my new daughter home yesterday, 11/11/04. I've been into hot rods my entire life, and built quite a few decent customs, no hot rods or street rods yet. My Merc has a MII front clip with a power rack. I intend on using the buick PS pump. Do I really need to use a pressure reduction valve or can I run it for a while without it? Is there a way to modify the pressure spring in the pump to put out less pressure? Can I just fill the rack and pump and take the belt off and go without PS for now? Sorry for so many questions right off the bat, but, I need to figure these things out. Thanks.

The PS pump from a Buick Electra 225 might LOOK the same as the pump from a Buick Skyhawk, BUT they have two different pressure relief valves....the smaller cars needing less pressure/power assist.

A pump off a rolling land yacht such as an Electra or Cadillac MIGHT cause problems where a pump from a Skylark or a Citation might work just fine.

We had access to an automotive recycling emporium and disassembly facility, and we used to change pumps on our race car every few weeks, but we learned the hard way that once we found a pressure relief valve that suited our driver - a Chevette in this case - we needed to transfer that PRV to the new/used pump.

It really didn't matter where we took the pump from, as long as we transferred that PRV.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green