MII inner tie rod ends

Started by tomslik, November 10, 2004, 08:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

is it possible to get SHORTER inner tie rods for these?
maybe of a tempo or something?
want to use a MII rack on this project but it'll be awful close to running out of adjustment .
shorter outer would work,too.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

rooster

Quote from: "tomslik"is it possible to get SHORTER inner tie rods for these?
want to use a MII rack on this project but it'll be awful close to running out of adjustment .

I think you may need T-bird RACK!!!! after 89, better ask " :D THE MAN"

paul2748

Is it possible to cut and rethread the rack arms.  I know there are longer ones, not sure of shorter ones

enjenjo

I wouldn't advise cutting and rethreading the inner tie rod. Those are usually rolled threads, and the rod isn't bug enough to cut new threads.

Several questions. Power or manual rack? How much shorter does it have to be? What outer tie rod ends are you using?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"I wouldn't advise cutting and rethreading the inner tie rod. Those are usually rolled threads, and the rod isn't bug enough to cut new threads.

Several questions. Power or manual rack? How much shorter does it have to be? What outer tie rod ends are you using?

power, i'm too lazy for manual.

maybe this will help; what i'm attempting is to put a rack on a g-body front clip and get rid of the steering box/idler arm setup.

enjenjo

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  You might be able to gain enough using Horizon outer tie rod ends. They are functionally the same as Mustang, but a bit shorter, but only 1/4" or so. But since they are shorter, you can cut the end off the inner and gain another 1/4" or so. That might be enough. You can gain a bit more using a 79 to 89 rack, they have a bit more threads on the inner

When doing this. Mustang rack  to a G body clip, you have to mount the rack as close to the front of the crossmember as possible, with the steering shaft nearly vertical to get it close enough the to the right position as possible. Use a double U joint right off the steering box in the steering shaft to avoid binding. You may still have to notch the crossmember for clearance. You want the rack to end up as close to where the original center link was as possible.

When you are done, you'll find the Mustang rack is nearly twice as long as it should be for proper bump steer. If you can find something that steers off the center like a Cavelier, but front steer, you will be better off.

You might look at the racks made by Maval, they are available in different lengths to suit most applications.

You might also look at a Toyota Pickup steering box, from 85 or so. It functions much like the original G body box, but is considerably smaller, it might give you enough room.

tomslik

i think i like the cavalier idea but they were/are rear steer and the rack needs to be on the front.

i want to put a commonly available rack on this for future repairs...

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I wouldn't advise cutting and rethreading the inner tie rod. Those are usually rolled threads, and the rod isn't bug enough to cut new threads.

I was thinking of my problem with MII when you were helping me , it was just the oppsite of this one , is this case he wants shorter. If a 89 ? t-bird rack was used and inner and outter tierods, I think would give more room, because of the way they fasten! Through the tie rod, might require some more threds though. http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=939&highlight=

enjenjo

I was digging throuh a Junkyard today, and found an early Dakota rolled up on it's side. The rack mounts like a Mustang, and is a bit shorter between the inner tie rod ends, because theDakota front end geometry is similar to the GM metric frame. You might look at one of them. Not sure in the year, but it was 5 lug wheels, they changed to 6 lug about 89. This one had a 2.5 in it, with a GM PS pump.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was digging throuh a Junkyard today, and found an early Dakota rolled up on it's side. The rack mounts like a Mustang, and is a bit shorter between the inner tie rod ends, because theDakota front end geometry is similar to the GM metric frame. You might look at one of them. Not sure in the year, but it was 5 lug wheels, they changed to 6 lug about 89. This one had a 2.5 in it, with a GM PS pump.

ahhhh, dakota!
kinda forgot about them!

been kinda eyeballin' Pathfinders (for the rack, not the truck) lately.
the pinion shaft shoots forward and goes thru another box that sends the shaft back to the column.
gotta be fairly HD cuz pathfinders ain't light!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

Harley Davidson?

:arrow:   :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SKR8PN

Quotemaybe this will help; what i'm attempting is to put a rack on a g-body front clip and get rid of the steering box/idler arm setup.

Can I ask what the advantage to going to a rack would be,over the GM box? What are you looking to gain? More clearance?
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

tomslik

Quote from: "SKR8PN"
Quotemaybe this will help; what i'm attempting is to put a rack on a g-body front clip and get rid of the steering box/idler arm setup.

Can I ask what the advantage to going to a rack would be,over the GM box? What are you looking to gain? More clearance?

yep, for the radiator.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"

Harley Davidson?

:arrow:   :wink:

sometimes lighter ain't better,taurus boy...;)

rooster

Quote from: "tomslik"is it possible to get SHORTER inner tie rods for these?
Did you try the long Tie rod end in the picture? The outter tie rod end gos THROUGH the threded boss up to 4" or more, if this does what you want you will have to get a matching tie rod (inner), I think the big nut that screws to the rack is the same threds as MII. If any thing you might have to cut some of the inner and add threds. Just a thought! :idea: