dehumidified water.....

Started by slocrow, November 10, 2004, 09:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

I finally relented and bought a dehumidifier for the basement. To my surprise the rain forest is disappearing. I'm pouring out a gallon every two days.
As I'm dumping this down the drain I started to wonder if using this accumulated water in the cooling system and possibly the battery would be as good as the suggested distilled water. It's got to be better then tap water, especially here with our extra hard stuff. Any thoughts or known drawbacks? Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

rumrumm

I have heard of people using it on their house plants, but not as water for batteries, etc. I never thought about it, though. It probably would contain fewer minerals.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

purplepickup

I use it in my cooling systems & batteries, and Sue uses it in her iron.  It is just like distilled water.  When I'm filling jugs, I put a coffee filter in the funnel to filter the spiders and snakes from the basement out of it.
George

enjenjo

I have some dehydrated water you can have for the shipping. You can get almost 5 gallons of it in a match box. It's handy when traveling.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Wow. I learned something today. It was worth waking up!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

The only thing that you won't find in distilled water is the airborn gasseous products that will not solidfy until the temperature is less than the coil temperature of the de-humidifier.  Things like fungi and bacterias can live in that water and actually can be more concentrated than in your beathing air because of the recycling that the airflo does. The metals that you find in tap water are only in water if it stays in its liquid form. As soon as it becomes gasseous (humidity)  the metals will stay in what liquid is left or be left as a stain (rust?). It would probably make better water for filling bateries and radiators. It is techniccally rain so it's probably good for the plants. But I wouldn't drink it. GPster

Bob K

Yeah I bought some of that dehydrated water, couldn't figure out what to add.

B :?: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

phat rat

Quote from: "Faat Rod"Yeah I bought some of that dehydrated water, couldn't figure out what to add.

B :?: B

As I understand it, in Wi. you'd add cheese :lol:  :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "slocrow"I finally relented and bought a dehumidifier for the basement. To my surprise the rain forest is disappearing. I'm pouring out a gallon every two days.
As I'm dumping this down the drain I started to wonder if using this accumulated water in the cooling system and possibly the battery would be as good as the suggested distilled water. It's got to be better then tap water, especially here with our extra hard stuff. Any thoughts or known drawbacks? Thanks, Frank

LOL, a timely post, a few days ago i got a panic phone call from my older daughter who lives about a mile away. Seems she had come home from work and found it raining in her house. The house was formerly a two unit appartment house. The hot water side of the UPSTAIRS kitchen, which she has turned into a hobby room, had come off the faucet and had been running all day! It had leaked (poured) down into the groundfloor bathroom under the upstairs kitchen and the water had continued to the basement where thankfully the sump pump had been pumping it out. after the initial cleanup with a shop vac and mops etc. we used de humidifiers in the house. We could have supplied everyone on the board with distilled water for  a while. :shock:

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"I use it in my cooling systems & batteries, and Sue uses it in her iron.  It is just like distilled water.  When I'm filling jugs, I put a coffee filter in the funnel to filter the spiders and snakes from the basement out of it.

kinda reminds me of all the hell i took from purp cuz i drink bottled water :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

purplepickup

Quote from: "tomslik"kinda reminds me of all the ##### i took from purp cuz i drink bottled water :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I'm just a dumb flatlander but I always thought Colorado was the land of sparkling pure Rocky Mountain spring water.  It just seemed kinda funny to see you sucking on a bottle of reconstituted dehydrated water.  :wink:  

Knowing you I'd have expected you to go up in the mountains and get some of that water the beavers wash up in. :shock:
George

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "tomslik"kinda reminds me of all the ##### i took from purp cuz i drink bottled water :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I'm just a dumb flatlander but I always thought Colorado was the land of sparkling pure Rocky Mountain spring water.  It just seemed kinda funny to see you sucking on a bottle of reconstituted dehydrated water.  :wink:

well, #1,i ain't got water out in the shop.
       #2, even back when i use to go to rod parks, i drank bottled water cuz i can't hardly drink pop(unless it's mixed;) ).
       #3dentist sez it's been good for my teeth.

my tap water tastes like chit.

want some gum?  ;)

Knowing you I'd have expected you to go up in the mountains and get some of that water the beavers wash up in. :shock:

actually, i've offered to wash beavers before but i keep getting backhanded.

just can't win...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Did you middleaged farts see the Hamm's beer  logo years ago ?

The one about "It's the water" that used the Large bear in the logo....

then some T-shirts had the logo with the  Bear taking a whiz in the river with a large smile on his face
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"Did you middleaged farts see the Hamm's beer  logo years ago ?

The one about "It's the water" that used the Large bear in the logo....

then some T-shirts had the logo with the  Bear taking a whiz in the river with a large smile on his face
Back in the early '70s when Jimi Hendrix and the Doors were making albums, there was a comedy group called Firesign Theater that did an album that had a skit about Bear Whiz beer on it.  I was a big fan an used to have a few of their albums.  They were really funny, a little political, and weird....George Tirebiter.....Porgy and Mudhead....hmmm...memories.....  Probably no one here has even heard of Firesign Theater.....and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, some people got together about 10 years ago and made some t-shirts with this logo on them.  You can still get them.

George

Fat Cat

Quote from: "purplepickup"Probably no one here has even heard of Firesign Theater.....and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Who me? You must have the wrong guy.

I spell my name Danger

Nick Danger
      Third Eye

I have a bunch of Firesign Theater in MP3 format about 1.5gb worth