Way off topic - Kansas City Barbecue Joints??

Started by 41woodie, November 07, 2004, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Going to Kansas City for the Big XII Championship game in December. One of my loves is fine Barbecue.  Anyone from the KC area or wherever give me any suggestions on best places ie   Winslows, Arthur Bryants or others.  Been on a diet since first of September and ready to celebrate.

awsum34

Where are you going to be staying and how far you want to travel? Close yo downtown you have Arthur Bryant's and Gates, Then in KC, Ks, you have Oklahoma Joe's, Then you have Zarda's and KC MasterPiece, Jack Stack, Then you have the Mom and Pop BBQ's  
You like the sweet BBQ, Spicy BBQ, Hot BBQ, Wet, Dry.

Let me know where you'll be staying, and i'll see what's close by.
In the mean time check out the BBQ link

http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/guide.htm
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

41woodie

Quote from: "awsum34"Let me know where you'll be staying, and i'll see what's close by.

Like most kinds but prefer Hot, Wet with a undercurrent of sweet, but open to any style.  I didn't know if Bryants was as good as they think it is.  One thing for sure there's never a lack of self-confidence and ego in barbecue joints.
We'll be staying at Campus RV park about 10 minutes north of Arrowhead but will drive anywhere. Heck we're driving from northeastern Oklahoma for the game so a few miles more for good Q is no big deal.
Thanks for the link, I collect links for good bbq to everywhere we travel in the rods or RV. MH

HotRodLadyCrusr

I went to both KC Masterpiece and Jack Stack while in KC a few years ago.  KC Masterpiece on Thursday nite was very good.  We went to Jack Stack on Saturday nite with a big RRT group and it was so GREAT that me and Mr Loboy went back on Sunday nite for another go at the ribs just the two of us.  I can't recommend the place enough.  Not only great ribs but a very nice atmosphere to boot.  In my opinion atmosphere is also part of the dining experience as well as the food.  Anywhere that Rick, Awsum34, recommends you can be bet the BBQ is going to be GREAT!
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

41woodie

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"We went to Jack Stack on Saturday nite with a big RRT group and it was so GREAT that me and Mr Loboy went back on Sunday nite for another go at the ribs just the two of us.  I can't recommend the place enough.  

Which Jack Stack location did you go to. If like me, your memory isn't exact a general area will do, thanks - MH

HotRodLadyCrusr

a couple of years ago and I'm suppose to remember!  LOL  thats a good one. :lol: I didn't even remember the name of the place till Awsum posted it.   Gettin old sucks.  Rick or one of the other guys that were there will remeber I'm sure.

Sean

I compete in several regional BBQ contests every summer, so I consider myself somewhat of a professional on the subject :wink:  IMO, the best BBQ usually comes from the Mom and Pop joints.

I have eaten at Gates and a couple of the other Famous BBQ Joints and although it was allright, I think the quality suffers from being "Mass produced". The Ribs and Brisket are usually overcooked from being kept in warmers, the sides usually come out of containers, etc. The seasoning in large joints is also somewhat bland IMO. I guess they have to tone things down a little to make the food appealing to a broader range of customers.

The Mom and Pop joints on the other hand, usually seem to be a little more careful about the quality of the BBQ, mostly because the Owners are the ones actually cooking it, but also because they aren't preparing food by the Ton. There are a couple small joints in Mid-MO that even make all the sides (Beans,Slaw,etc) and Sauce's in house. Everything gets seasoned by actual "taste" that way and the food doesn't taste quite so generic.

Like I said though, I compete and occasionally Judge in BBQ contests so I am probably spoiled. The best part about participating in contests is sampling everybody elses cooking.  In a BBQ contest its all about the "Art" instead of just doing it for a living.

If any of you ever pass through Columbia MO, "Buckinghams" is about as good as it gets and its only a couple blocks south of I-70...

awsum34

Jack Stack is on Metcalf and 95th street. It's on the south side of the city. You'll be taking 435 south until you get to metcalf go north to 95th about 2 miles, It's on the left side of the street on the corner.  
Let me know when you'll be able to eat. And i'll meet you there.

You said about 10 miles north of Arrowhead  sounds like Liberty or Claycomo. There's another RV park west of Arrowhead on I70, (about 6 to 10 milws in Grain Valley MO. Incase your interested the phone # 1-816-229-2267
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

41woodie

Well I've never done competive Barbecue, but we operated a Q and fried chicken restaurant for 18 years then sold it and retired.  We like to "collect" Q places in our travels.  I agree that most of the "name" places are somewhat institutionalized, the little "joints" have the taste hands down.  I think we'll try Jack Stack and Arthur Bryant's this trip. I'm looking forward to the Big XII Championship game, but Q is a close second.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Rick, not to change the subject but I love your new advitar.  Is this your new ride??  Please tell us more about it, especially the color!  I love it.

sodbuster

OK, if you like a drier style sauce Bryants is VERY GOOD. Also, remember not to go around "lunch time" there will be a line out the door. And if you go to Bryants, take a couple of singles out of you wallet and kinda fold them up (aka: palm them), but keep them in your pocket. And when you get up to the window to order from the guy, look down at your hand which is kinda covering the american bills and order as you set the cash (discreetly) next to his cutting board and he will toss a towel on top of it. And you will have the BIGGEST F-ing sandwich that you have ever tried to eat. If you are eating it there, kinda put the cash under the edge of your plate as you pass the plate to him. But remember to make eye contact and look down at your hand (aka: cash).

If you want a apple style sauce or sweeter. Go to Rosedales down on Southwest Blvd. It is kinda close to mid-town, easy access to Kemper arena. If you want to drive a little bit and here some great Blues, Go to BB's Lawnside BBQ on 85th street it is right down the street from Strouds fried chicken. If you are looking at a map, around 85th and Holmes. If you are staying at the stadium area, you could take 71 south to 85th then go west to BB's. It is kinda like an old "roadhouse", and I think they may charge a dollar or two for the blues band.

If you have any other questions, email me and I can try to help you out.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

Oh yea, funny story.

I was at Bryant's and this couple in front of me asked for a beef sandwich and the guy started making it. Tears the butcher paper, slaps it on his cutting board, with his bare hands takes about 8 slices of white wonder bread tosses it on the paper (keep in mind this guys forarms look like he just got out of the pen.) then grabs a handful of meat tosses it on the the bread, slaps two swipes of sauce on top of the meat, then proceed's to wrap (roll the paper) the sandwich up in to a roll for the lady. Her reply was "Sir, is there anything that you don't make with your hands?", to which he reply's "Sure, ribs. Why?", "well, can I get ribs instead?" said the lady. So he say's "Sure". Grabs the meat poker, grabs a slab of ribs out of smoker, lay's them down on his cutting board. Chops them up with his cleaver and takes the ladies plate and looks at her in the eye and takes his elbow and slides them off on to the plate. She took the plate and did not say one more word, and everyone behind her just chuckled.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Chris just made me HUNGRY!

Great info, can't wait to visit KC again.  Thanks