Grant steering wheels

Started by 41woodie, October 29, 2004, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Ok, it didn't take me long to work up my nerve to ask a stupid question.  My '64 ford pickup has a Grant GT steering wheel on it ( the type with 8 allen bolts in the face.  The horn button spring failed and I need to get to it to repair/replace.  I've looked all over the thing and used as much muscle as I dared but can't get the horn button off.  Is there a trick to this?  25 years ago I would have kept at it until something broke, maybe I'm getting smarter or lazier. MH

41woodie

Ok, I got the thing off but I may be back to ask how to put it back on!
MH

enjenjo

Is this the type held in with a spring clip?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

41woodie

This is older I think, there are three little indentations on the horn button that I guess hold it on with an interference fit.  The spring was just a little coil spring like used to be on cars years ago and it had fallen to one side. I epoxied it to the horn button and it looks like the other end goes over the stub end of the steering shaft. At least I think that's how it goes MH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "41woodie"This is older I think, there are three little indentations on the horn button that I guess hold it on with an interference fit.  The spring was just a little coil spring like used to be on cars years ago and it had fallen to one side. I epoxied it to the horn button and it looks like the other end goes over the stub end of the steering shaft. At least I think that's how it goes MH

that is how it goes.   Push the horn button on... then sorta twist / turn  a little to one side so it does not pop off easily from where you pushed it on over the fiber thingy
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

41woodie

that is how it goes.   Push the horn button on... then sorta twist / turn  a little to one side so it does not pop off easily from where you pushed it on over the fiber thingy[/quote]

Great I guessed right, I'm kind of leery of forcing things on and off.  The epoxy that I used on the spring will be well cured tomorrow morning so I'll trot out and see if it'll go back on without a fight. MH