41 Chevy VIN location?

Started by Jbird, October 29, 2004, 01:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

A friend just bought a 41 Chevy Custom Deluxe. He needs to know where the VIN number is located for registration purposes. I haven't a clue, which is not unusual. Any one here have an idea.
 Thanks, Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

alchevy

I have a '40 Chevy and in the shop manual I have on it, the VIN would be on the floorboard inside the passenger side door (I think it said passenger side, check both sides). That is if the original floor is still in the car. Mine was not.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Jbird

Thanks Al. He'll be so happy, all he has to do is pull up the freshly installed carpet. He bought the car finished.
  Jbird 8)

enjenjo

On a 41 it should be on the right door post just above the lower hinge. Kind of a cheap looking plate about 2 x 3 with the number stamped on it, held on by two screws.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Think Franks right, never heard of vin tags on the floor.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Leon

Back then they used the engine number for a vin, and the body serial number on the door post didn't always match.  On my 54 it is still titled by the engine, and a freinds 40 had to get a number assigned since the engine was gone.  They used the body number but that's not the number that was on the records.

Jbird

Thanks for the update guys. I just called him, he hadn't ripped up the carpet yet.

phat rat... Early VWs had the VIN stamped into the floor pan tunnel under the back seat. I tried to explain that to a young police officer a few(quite a few) years ago. I'd just come from spending an all nighter working on the race buggy. I pulled into a 7-11 and parked right next to a sheriffs car. I said good morning to him as we met at the door into the store, then went in and got my coffee and donuts. When I got back outside he was standing next to my 68 VW fastback looking at the VIN tag on the dash. I'd replaced the cracked old 68 dash with one I got out of a wrecked 70. The dashes were identical except for the VIN tag, 68s never had one in the dash. I asked what was wrong and he told me the VIN didn't match the license plate. I tried to explain about the replaced dash and the actual location of the VIN. I ended up in the back seat of the sheriffs car while we waited for his supervisor. His supervisor gave him a ten minute lecture and showed him the real VIN under the back seat, before they let me out of the cop car. I was instructed to remove the 70 VIN tag from the dash. Eight years later when I sold the car the 70 VIN tag was still there, I figured it would be easier to explain an improper VIN tag than one that had been obviously removed.

Just a little memory lane thing. Jbird 8)    [/quote]

phat rat

Quote from: "Jbird"Thanks for the update guys. I just called him, he hadn't ripped up the carpet yet.

phat rat... Early VWs had the VIN stamped into the floor pan tunnel under the back seat. I tried to explain that to a young police officer a few(quite a few) years ago. I'd just come from spending an all nighter working on the race buggy. I pulled into a 7-11 and parked right next to a sheriffs car. I said good morning to him as we met at the door into the store, then went in and got my coffee and donuts. When I got back outside he was standing next to my 68 VW fastback looking at the VIN tag on the dash. I'd replaced the cracked old 68 dash with one I got out of a wrecked 70. The dashes were identical except for the VIN tag, 68s never had one in the dash. I asked what was wrong and he told me the VIN didn't match the license plate. I tried to explain about the replaced dash and the actual location of the VIN. I ended up in the back seat of the sheriffs car while we waited for his supervisor. His supervisor gave him a ten minute lecture and showed him the real VIN under the back seat, before they let me out of the cop car. I was instructed to remove the 70 VIN tag from the dash. Eight years later when I sold the car the 70 VIN tag was still there, I figured it would be easier to explain an improper VIN tag than one that had been obviously removed.

Just a little memory lane thing. Jbird 8)    
[/quote]

just goes to show I'm not nor ever have been a vdub fan or owner :)
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.