Shop Floor re-enforcement for 4-post hoists...

Started by 56ngirl, October 28, 2004, 11:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

56ngirl

Hello, y'all....nice to be back again.

I know that some of you would recognize me more readily if I would call myself 56'n'girl; but oppurtunities have presented themselves that leaves the continuing ownership of my '56 panel in question....mainly the oppurtunity to purchase a 1969 Talladega and 1969 Ford Fairlane 500 fastback parts car (that runs and drives).  

Since I haven't bought the car/'collection of parts' yet (I'm going to go looking at it again on Saturday), I figured I would be presumptious (and a little mis-interpreted) in referring to myself as 69'n'girl...... :shock:  :lol:

Also, in my travels, following the logging B214's all over the great province of B.C; I have finally amassed my 'garage fund'.  Now flagging tape snaps eagerly in the breeze out in the back yard, outlining the future home of a three car (with optional expansion) workshop.   All I have to do is wait for the ground to firm up enough with the coming of spring.

The first thing I would state whenever Dad and I sat down to discuss his daughter's shop was the mandatory installation of a 4 post hoist.

I know I could just ask Dad to make sure to design the floor strong enought to support one, but I would like to come with more than a knife to a gun fight.  My ideal hoist, or the closest thing I have found so far, is sold in Australia and called a KD series Four post hoist, found on a website called www.in-brisbane.com.

I have also found a suitable substitue (or the closest thing on this continent so far) under Rotary Lift company, Model SMO12i.

I like the KD one because of the movable subframe that will suspend the car with the wheels free when the ramp is moved down.

But anyhow: that's what I am going for (I know they are expensive, I've looked around....but I am still set on having one)....and I am just wondering if, in the construction of some of your shops, has there been any modifications/special re-enforcements for the floors?

Thank you.... :wink:

HeliMouse.

enjenjo

In most cases a 4 post lift will work fine on any 4" slab floor without any other reinforcement.

Welcome back too. What are you up to now?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

The lift you described sounds interesting.  I found it at this link http://www.in-brisbane.com/preauto/fhoists.asp  .

I am not an engineer.  But, when I built my shop the cement finisher I used told me a 5" slab was twice as strong as a 4" and three times as strong as a slab formed up using standard 2x4s (3 1/2").  Specify commercial or industrial fiber in your concrete even if you use wire mesh.

I am not familiar with the building techniques used in your part of the country.  In this locale the quality builders trench in an integral  footing at least 8" deep and 1" wide and run a couple of #4 rebars (1/2") all around.    If you do not include an integral footing in your slab have the finisher "float in" a #4 rebar at every garage door opening.  

Strength is also a function of the bed upon which the concrete is placed.  If you use fill make sure it is properly tamped.  Gravel and sand are good fill materials because they require minuimal tamping.  If you must use dirt avoid top soil.  

If you know where your lift is going to be located consider an in-slab or floor power source.  Most lifts require a 30 amp/220 volt power source.  One of my friends plugs his into a dual purpose 50 amp welding outlet on the wall.  The only disavantage is that he must plug and unplug the lift every time he uses it.  Another option is a power drop from above.

A shop can never be to big.  But it can be to small.  Make sure your work bays are sized to allow working room and that they are deep enough to accomodate a work bench at the back.  You also want some general purpose work room.  A three car sized garage with two deep bays will function better as a shop than one with three bays.  

There has been a lot of discussion here about heating shops.  The concensus is that an in slab hot water system is best.  Even if you can not afford a complete system now investigate the cost of including the Pex tubing in yor slab.  I did not and now I am sorry.

In the end father knows best.  

Good luck to you!
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

phat46

Quote from: "HeliMouse"Hello, y'all....nice to be back again.

Welcome back, Do you really think we would mis-interpret anything around here!!!!   :shock:
 As far as the lift, it's a great idea, have you checked with the manufacturers to see what they reccommend as a base for the lifts?

Fat Cat

Welcome back. How could we misinterpret that username expecially when we have pictures of you like this

purplepickup

I know that some of you would recognize me more readily if I would call myself 56'n'girl
Welcome back. :D   It's been a while since you stopped by.

I really like that Rotary 12i lift.  I hadn't seen that design before but then I didn't check the professional, higher capacity lifts when I bought my Backyard Buddy.  Mine is on a 4" poured floor with fiber in the concrete.  I have a compacted stable base of sand and gravel under it and I haven't ever even had a crack in the floor.

Good luck on the 69's.....it's always nice to have a backup  :wink:

.....a man, his dog, and his truck.....it's a beautiful thing  8)
George

348tripower

I have a 4 post Perfect Park and a 8000 lb two post and both are on 4" of cement floor.
Don

I know that some of you would recognize me more readily if I would call myself 56'n'girl; but oppurtunities have presented themselves that leaves the continuing ownership of my '56 panel in question....mainly the oppurtunity to purchase a 1969 Talladega and 1969 Ford Fairlane 500 fastback parts car (that runs and drives).  

Since I haven't bought the car/'collection of parts' yet (I'm going to go looking at it again on Saturday), I figured I would be presumptious (and a little mis-interpreted) in referring to myself as 69'n'girl...... :shock:  :lol:

Also, in my travels, following the logging B214's all over the great province of B.C; I have finally amassed my 'garage fund'.  Now flagging tape snaps eagerly in the breeze out in the back yard, outlining the future home of a three car (with optional expansion) workshop.   All I have to do is wait for the ground to firm up enough with the coming of spring.

The first thing I would state whenever Dad and I sat down to discuss his daughter's shop was the mandatory installation of a 4 post hoist.

I know I could just ask Dad to make sure to design the floor strong enought to support one, but I would like to come with more than a knife to a gun fight.  My ideal hoist, or the closest thing I have found so far, is sold in Australia and called a KD series Four post hoist, found on a website called www.in-brisbane.com.

I have also found a suitable substitue (or the closest thing on this continent so far) under Rotary Lift company, Model SMO12i.

I like the KD one because of the movable subframe that will suspend the car with the wheels free when the ramp is moved down.

But anyhow: that's what I am going for (I know they are expensive, I've looked around....but I am still set on having one)....and I am just wondering if, in the construction of some of your shops, has there been any modifications/special re-enforcements for the floors?

Thank you.... :wink:

HeliMouse.
Don Colliau

The "Shoe Footing" as described is a very good idea,also I would reinforce the entire floor with 1/2" rebar tied 2' on center.Welcome back to the RRT...hope you'll hang around and add to the mix!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

My dual post Rotary hoist mounting requirements were 3,000 psi concrete at minimum of 4 inches thick as I recall.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

56ngirl

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Welcome back. How could we misinterpret that username expecially when we have pictures of you like this

OH MY.....that's an unexpected picture....wow.... :oops:

I like the footing idea, and the rebar by the doors.  When Dad and I first started shop talking we were pretty far apart on, what I like to call, 'Dedicated Shop Space'.  He figured just to do a three car garage, and have all the tools movable so that we could roll it in to whatever bay was closest....and I thought that was a miserabel idea.  so our idea came in to two 'regular size' stalls, that are more deep than wide, and then a third stall (on the right hand side of the floor plan, on paper) that is double height and of generous width (for the hoist) and the equivalent of another narrow car stall of shop space.    I remembet the exact dimensions off-hand....but its going to be big.

I've been playing with the idea of a chain hoist on an I-beam that would run front to back over the hoist...for engines and body removals....but I haven't brought it up with Dad because my conscience kicks in and tells me not to go over-board.  

As far as what I have been up to....to answer a previous question; I spent all four summer months chasing helicopters and fires all over the Kootney region of B.C.; working two weeks on and two weeks off.  My grandfather gifted me his ABSOLUTLY IMMACULATE UNTOUCHED 1967 Dodge Monaco four door....So I spent the better part of two weeks making sure it is mechanically sound, cleaning the wax build-up off the paint with a toothbrush and applying for vintage plates.  Now that I think of it, I'll include some pictures (somewhere on here, I'll have to look in to how to do that) of it.....it's one of those things that only happens in fairy tales.    

Dad and I had plans to start the shop this last spring, only to have my brother take over the grandfather's house which was in dire needs of major repairs to make it livable.  Between my father remodelling an entire kitchen and I being as gone as I was home, the summer passed like no-buddies-bussiness.

Next week I'm planning to turn in my log book to complete my apprenticeship and achieve my A.M.E. License by (if it is approved) writing
the licencing exam within the next few weeks.  I am really going to be aiming to secure my place with Bell mediums, but and Astar type course is also in my list of goals.

I had an offer in on a 1962 Panhead Harley, but that has been recended in light of the 1969 Talladega coming up.  I couldn't believe what I was looking at...all the numbers are matching...even the valve covers are original on the 428CJ.  The guy told me that he is really hoping I buy it...he said I was the first one that had come to look at it that really knew it was more than 'THE' 428CJ and some wierd-named car.  He said that I blew him away when he was describing the car and I named the three colours that the car came in, and even which one was the rarest (Presidential Blue).  

The guy has a 1969 Mustang Mach One with a drag pack, which is restored even down to the proper serial-number rad-fan and factory paint runs (he said the painter was almost started crying when he asked him to make them).  He said that he is worried the engine will get used and the car will get ditched because it is not a widely known make.  When I talked to him today, he said that he ordered the repro 'Talladega' signatures that mount on the inside door panels and some other small decals that I might need.  All the important 'Talladega only' pieces are there...the headlight box, factory re-rolled and stretched front fenders, filler piece for in front of the standard hood (to make up the 6 inch stretch of the Tallladega) and even the specially modified and re-welded front bumper.

I'm going to go and look at it tommorrow again, just to see if I can convince myself not to go for it.

But, I'm rambling to make the Master Rambler proud....so I should really leave off and just go do it.

Anyone want a 1956 Ford Panel Delivery body?  . $2500 Cdn.  obo: Cheap to good home

56ngirl

Okay, look in the test forum....my computer shows that I posted some pictures under 'Grandfathers 1967 Monaco'
:D

river1

welcome back we missed ya!

i moved your pics over here.

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

56ngirl

Quote from: "river1"welcome back we missed ya!

i moved your pics over here.

Oh cool....thank you!!!  just to make sure I don't get any flack for the lack of attention to interior detail: the car did get a vacuum...eventually.  My grandfather is a compulsive collector, so the car's trunk was filled to the brim with old carpets, paint cans (all used 'til empty) broken tools and floor mats.  I think I pulled out five layers of matting in the cabin.

You should have seen the house.....we collected two five-gallon pails of used combs and there were three rooms filled with broken flower pots, to start with....

Bib_Overalls

I know this is all very sudden and everything.  But, if you get the lift, will you marry me me?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Pope Downunder

snip . . .
. . . snip

HeliMouse.

Welcome back.

In 'Downunderland' we use 240 volt single phase, and 415 volt three-phase power.  Is this what you have in Canada; or do you use the US system of 110/220v?  Check before you get the lift.

Did you know that '181' is 'metric' for '69', so you could use this tag.  
181'n'girl...... :shock:  :lol