Help! I need some one near Chicago to fetch an engine.....

Started by 32 Chevy, October 24, 2004, 07:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

Looks like I am the high bidder for a 302 motor located near Chicago, and I find out that the seller can't help ship the motor to me here in Seattle....

So now that i have 'painted myself into a corner', I'm asking if anyone in the Chicago area could pick up a 302, strap it to a pallet,and take it to a freight forwarder? I'll be glad to pay a reasonable amount for your time, or maybe swap something in return! I need to know ASAP....

Thanks in  advance,

Dave R

Phil55

Where in Chicagoland is this 302?  It is 60 miles from the Northern suburbs to the Southern suburbs....not to far East and West because of the Lake....

I'm out near Elgin.  I'd be willing to help but don't want to spend a day at it!  :shock:

32 Chevy

Quote from: "Phil55"Where in Chicagoland is this 302?  It is 60 miles from the Northern suburbs to the Southern suburbs....not to far East and West because of the Lake....

I'm out near Elgin.  I'd be willing to help but don't want to spend a day at it!  :shock:

Thanks for answering! It's in the area of Gurnee, which is about 50 miles north of Chicago. The auction closes in about 2 hours, and it's now 5;30 pm western time, so decision time is getting close...

Dave

58 Yeoman

Dave, did you win the engine auction? Just wondering.  Gurnee is over 2 1/2 hours from me, about 140 miles.  I've hated having to pass up a deal because it was so far, and they wouldn't ship.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

32 Chevy

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Dave, did you win the engine auction? Just wondering.  Gurnee is over 2 1/2 hours from me, about 140 miles.  I've hated having to pass up a deal because it was so far, and they wouldn't ship.

No, I let it slip away because of the shipping problem. I hated to give up, because the motor would have been perfect for my 56 ranchwagon. What was the motor, you say? Well, it was a completelely rebuilt '87 302 H.O, roller cam, complete with injection, computer, and wiring. Brand new rebuild, never run, with all receipts. What was the closing bid? $599!!!! The rebuild kit itself was more than that!!! AAAUGH!

Dave

enjenjo

Before you beat yourself up too bad, I have had problems in the past with Ebay rebuilt motors. The worst one was disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled, with all the old parts, including gaskets, with only fresh silicone sealer added. I have a buddy dealing with one right now, a 351 with a 400 crank, had strange sounds in it after he ran it just a few miles, less than 30, Seems the new pistons were hitting the crank, not much, just enough to make a noise, but when he tore it down, he found traces of coolant in the oil, and all the bearings are wiped out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32 Chevy

Quote from: "enjenjo"Before you beat yourself up too bad, I have had problems in the past with Ebay rebuilt motors. The worst one was disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled, with all the old parts, including gaskets, with only fresh silicone sealer added. I have a buddy dealing with one right now, a 351 with a 400 crank, had strange sounds in it after he ran it just a few miles, less than 30, Seems the new pistons were hitting the crank, not much, just enough to make a noise, but when he tore it down, he found traces of coolant in the oil, and all the bearings are wiped out.

Thanks Frank, I feel better now....

Dave