my latest gripe

Started by wvcab, October 22, 2004, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvcab

ok... so i have been working on the 1950 f1 panel for quite a while, and like the look of the stainless bars for the grill...  looked at quite a few vendors, and nobody had them in stock, they were backordered at  d.carpinter, macs, b drakes, and my local shop wescotts, all were real close in pricing, so i went with  Wescotts ( cuz i wanted to support the local shop, and save a few bucks on shipping), i ordered on july 15th, was told it would be a couple weeks.... fast forword to 8/17, the brooks truck show is next weekend, still no parts... wescotts says they are still on backorder, i frantically call other sources, and everyone else is still backordered, so i just repeat several times... it is just not meant to be.

So after the show (first part of september) checked in with wescotts, assured them that yep i still want them.... they called on 10/13 and said they should be here by mid november, so cool they will get here.

10/20/2004, wescotts calls me and the part is here, so i ask to ups them to me ( acroos town), i get them this morning and i am disapointed..

1. Package says Dales manufacturing in OKC, OK

2. Parts are stamped with MADE IN TWAIN ROC

3. The retainer clips sent with the "kit" are made by Dales

4. the slot on the back of the stainless steel grill bars ( for the clips to slide in) are 1 3/16", the clips are 3/4" x 2 1/2".

so i called wescotts and they verified the clips, are "supposed " to fit in the groove, so they said I can either return them, or Modify the clips to fit.

so my gripe is you pay $189.00 for 5 pieces of stainless steel, wait 3.5 months and they are not manufactured to the full specs. What do i do.... modify them or send them back????? if i send them back, where do i find some quality parts?

Or am I just being to ANAL RETENTIVE here? :roll:  :lol:  :shock:  :?:  :?:

Robert

Dave

Quote from: "wvcab"ok... so i have been working on the 1950 f1 panel for quite a while, and like the look of the stainless bars for the grill...  looked at quite a few vendors, and nobody had them in stock, they were backordered at  d.carpinter, macs, b drakes, and my local shop wescotts, all were real close in pricing, so i went with  Wescotts ( cuz i wanted to support the local shop, and save a few bucks on shipping), i ordered on july 15th, was told it would be a couple weeks.... fast forword to 8/17, the brooks truck show is next weekend, still no parts... wescotts says they are still on backorder, i frantically call other sources, and everyone else is still backordered, so i just repeat several times... it is just not meant to be.

So after the show (first part of september) checked in with wescotts, assured them that yep i still want them.... they called on 10/13 and said they should be here by mid november, so cool they will get here.

10/20/2004, wescotts calls me and the part is here, so i ask to ups them to me ( acroos town), i get them this morning and i am disapointed..

4. the slot on the back of the stainless steel grill bars ( for the clips to slide in) are 1 3/16", the clips are 3/4" x 2 1/2".

so i called wescotts and they verified the clips, are "supposed " to fit in the groove, so they said I can either return them, or Modify the clips to fit.

so my gripe is you pay $189.00 for 5 pieces of stainless steel, wait 3.5 months and they are not manufactured to the full specs. What do i do.... modify them or send them back????? if i send them back, where do i find some quality parts?

Or am I just being to ANAL RETENTIVE here? :roll:  :lol:  :shock:  :?:  :?:

Robert

I dont want to come off like a D#$K but welcome to street rodding. :shock:
Dave

enjenjo

Quoteso my gripe is you pay $189.00 for 5 pieces of stainless steel, wait 3.5 months and they are not manufactured to the full specs. What do i do.... modify them or send them back????? if i send them back, where do i find some quality parts?

If Dales is the only one who makes them, and you can't find any good originals, you may have no choice but to modify things to make them work. I have run into this several times, The reproduction 48 Ford car tail lights will not fit into an original tail light bucket, without modifing the bucket, and as far as I can tell, most everyone is selling the same parts, no matter who's label is on the box. And most of the reproduction tail light lenses are so dark they are nearly unusable. Switches, wiper blades, engine pulleys, I have had some stuff that was not even close to being right, some of it I returned, some I had to make it work because I couldn't find better. FWIW, I have been waiting for some Elsinore parts for 11 months now, and no date for shipment, but they did charge the card. Of course they did send me the wrong parts, returned at my expense.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

av8

Quote from: "wvcab"ok... so i have been working on the 1950 f1 panel for quite a while . . .

so my gripe is you pay $189.00 for 5 pieces of stainless steel, wait 3.5 months and they are not manufactured to the full specs. What do i do.... modify them or send them back????? if i send them back, where do i find some quality parts? . . .

I purchased a set of stainless trim caps for the grille of my '48 F-1 early this year and found their fit and finish to be acceptable, as good as several NOS caps I have. I purchased them over the counter at Sacramento Vintage Ford. I don't recall seeing any manufacturing source stickers on them. They fit and look great and that's what I paid for.

The segmented clips provided were manufactured to fit trim pieces of different widths. Using two sets of pliers, I snapped off a couple of segments from each end then fine-tuned them a bit on a belt sander for a comfortable fit in the caps -- 15-20 minutes work, certainly not a big deal.

Hardware quality and price seems okay, but your excessively long wait for the pieces is unacceptable.

Mike

wvcab

Great looking truck AV8, thank you for the info on the bars you got...

Probablly end up doin the same