Re-Engine-ing (Long)

Started by Pope Downunder, October 19, 2004, 11:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Downunder

I finally found the time and motivation to get the pickup back together, and took it for the first drive with the new engine. This saga has been going on for a few months, but I did have a few 'distractions' during that time (Still do, but that is another story!).  I had all the machine work done, the pistons installed on the rods, and balancing etc.  some time ago, so it was a matter of putting it all together, and getting it back into the car etc.

The new '283' is actually carrying a 327 SJ steel crank & .040" 307 pistons and 'fuelie' rods to make 313ci.  I used the old 'Power-Pac' 60cc heads, and had these mildly ported, and port-matched the manifolds etc.  They have 1.94 & 1.5" valves now, with Sst exhaust valves and hardened exhaust seats.  It has a little Crane 'Powermax' dual pattern cam and matching lifters.  It wasn't very expensive, as I had most of the basic parts.  I recalibrated the carb, with parts I got whilst over in the US in August (thanks to Denise) and fitted new gaskets and an insulated carb spacer.

There is nothing like firing a fresh engine; a combination of nerves, and excitement!  Anyway, a week ago, I primed the oil & fuel, set the timing  (statically) and cranked it over.  It fired immediately, but made the most awful screeching metallic noise.  It had good oil pressure, but I shut it down, thinking the worst.  I soon realised the starter was jammed on the ring gear!  I took it off and fitted a spacer, but it just went 'click', 'click'.  I robbed a spare starter of its solenoid, and it started right up.  The oil pressure was good, and the lifters sounded close, so I brought it up to about 2500rpm and cycled it for the cam break-in.  It sounded solid and responsive.  After a while I noticed coolant leaking up past some of the head bolts, on the head bosses we had repaired.  Not a major leak, so I continued with the break-in.

During the week, I got some new late style head bolts with the swaged heads.  I ran the engine to get it warm then drained it down, by removing one head bolt, and siphoning the water down below the level I was working at, then let it dry.  I then used some thinners on a tap, and cleaned the threads, resealed and retorqued, one at a time, starting from the centre and working out.  I only took out the eight that were on the repaired head, of which about four were actually leaking.  I left it for a few days to cure.

Then, on Saturday, I finished all the bits and pieces and fired it up.  I had a great time doing this; my little 3yo son was trying to help, and was holding the light etc.  He was so chuffed to be helping daddy.  It was fine; no leaks; whew!  So, William and I went for a quick trip around a 'big block'.  It felt very good, but I had to get back as I had promised to take the kids out for dinner.

Finally, on Sunday night, I set the timing and took it for a 30mile drive, where I was able to run at a reasonable pace, and cycle it up and down to bed the rings.  It goes really well, with heaps of mid-range torque.  I didn't flog it, but with the new 2200rpm stall converter, it is much  stronger off the line too; and it sounds a lot 'throatier'.  It is a different truck now; ready for summer.

enjenjo

Good on you Neil. Glad to hear it's back on the road. And at the beginning of the season too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"...After a while I noticed coolant leaking up past some of the head bolts, on the head bosses we had repaired.

------------------
Congrats on getting the truck back on the road.  ...It must feel like reuniting with an old friend.  

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the head bolt bosses, and how were they repaired?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

I am glad you are back on the road.  It is great to have little people help in the shop and on projects.

It is not fair that you have two summers this year.  I may have to reverse your travels and do the same by spending my winter in your part of the world.  I will do that someday but not in the near future.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Congratulations! I bet the little guy was as excited as Dad!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Bib_Overalls

The best part of this hobby is fixing problems yourself.  Like you, I get a lot of satisfaction when I find an elegant solution to a difficult problem.  And there is no feeling quite like the one you get when a motor you built comes to life for the first time.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

SKR8PN

Firing a new engine, one that YOU built, for the FIRST time,is a close as a MAN can get to childbirth...........
Glad to hear everthing worked out,and you have your truck back.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Dave

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"I finally found the time and motivation to get the pickup back together, and took it for the first drive with the new engine. This saga has been going on for a few months, but I did have a few 'distractions' during that time (Still do, but that is another story!).  I had all the machine work done, the pistons installed on the rods, and balancing etc.  some time ago, so it was a matter of putting it all together, and getting it back into the car etc.

The new '283' is actually carrying a 327 SJ steel crank & .040" 307 pistons and 'fuelie' rods to make 313ci.  I used the old 'Power-Pac' 60cc heads, and had these mildly ported, and port-matched the manifolds etc.  They have 1.94 & 1.5" valves now, with Sst exhaust valves and hardened exhaust seats.  It has a little Crane 'Powermax' dual pattern cam and matching lifters.  It wasn't very expensive, as I had most of the basic parts.  I recalibrated the carb, with parts I got whilst over in the US in August (thanks to Denise) and fitted new gaskets and an insulated carb spacer.

There is nothing like firing a fresh engine; a combination of nerves, and excitement!  Anyway, a week ago, I primed the oil & fuel, set the timing  (statically) and cranked it over.  It fired immediately, but made the most awful screeching metallic noise.  It had good oil pressure, but I shut it down, thinking the worst.  I soon realised the starter was jammed on the ring gear!  I took it off and fitted a spacer, but it just went 'click', 'click'.  I robbed a spare starter of its solenoid, and it started right up.  The oil pressure was good, and the lifters sounded close, so I brought it up to about 2500rpm and cycled it for the cam break-in.  It sounded solid and responsive.  After a while I noticed coolant leaking up past some of the head bolts, on the head bosses we had repaired.  Not a major leak, so I continued with the break-in.

During the week, I got some new late style head bolts with the swaged heads.  I ran the engine to get it warm then drained it down, by removing one head bolt, and siphoning the water down below the level I was working at, then let it dry.  I then used some thinners on a tap, and cleaned the threads, resealed and retorqued, one at a time, starting from the centre and working out.  I only took out the eight that were on the repaired head, of which about four were actually leaking.  I left it for a few days to cure.

Then, on Saturday, I finished all the bits and pieces and fired it up.  I had a great time doing this; my little 3yo son was trying to help, and was holding the light etc.  He was so chuffed to be helping daddy.  It was fine; no leaks; whew!  So, William and I went for a quick trip around a 'big block'.  It felt very good, but I had to get back as I had promised to take the kids out for dinner.

Finally, on Sunday night, I set the timing and took it for a 30mile drive, where I was able to run at a reasonable pace, and cycle it up and down to bed the rings.  It goes really well, with heaps of mid-range torque.  I didn't flog it, but with the new 2200rpm stall converter, it is much  stronger off the line too; and it sounds a lot 'throatier'.  It is a different truck now; ready for summer.

Congrats Neil.. I think im about done here unless we get a good day to head out for a ride. God I love fall. I just got done raking and burning leaves in the front yard and ill be doing it again along with the back. Im thinking the good thing is the 32 Is sitting in the garage with the new cover on it and ive actually got time to do the domestic stuff :lol:
Sue is gonna be proud of me :?:
Have fun
Dave :)

Crosley.In.AZ

the first drive of a fresh ride , first fire up of a new engine...... both can be nerve racking watching for problems , leaks , what ever

Yet there is nothing more exciting !!

Congrats
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Awesome, you have every right to be both proud and excited.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

choco

Well, it'll be my turn soon. My EFI 360 Mopar engine is all reeady to fire up. I just needed to test the fuel pump, prime the fuel and install the MSD dissy. I'd just finished pulling the dam engine apart after watching water squirt out the back of the heads as I was filling it up. Seems as I put the head gaskets around updide-down! Took me another week to get back to square one! Well, then I put the dissy in and it fouls the vacuum line that comes out the back of the tunnel ram.
Just another hold up in a long line of holdups. This weekend is the CHRA birthday bash, then I promised a guy I'd wire up his T Bucket for him. So the engine fire-up will have to wait yet another week.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "40"Congratulations! I bet the little guy was as excited as Dad!
Well, I don't know about that; I was pretty excited.

Even on the booster seat, William cannot see forward very well in the Pickup, so he's always stretching to see out.  He gets a bit scared if I go too fast.

Coming in the driveway, I stabbed the throttle, and the tyres protested.  William said; 'Naughty Daddy; don't speed!' with a very stern look on his face.  I just said; 'OK'; with a grin from ear to ear.  :P

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"the first drive of a fresh ride , first fire up of a new engine...... both can be nerve racking watching for problems , leaks , what ever

Yet there is nothing more exciting !!

Congrats
I thought doing "burn-outs" with a Morris Minor with no brakes (or was that an Austin or Crosley?), was your excitement comes. Or from hearing something run that you'vd pulled around with you garden tractor for years while you've built that garage. I'm still working towards the firing of the "Float of the Pheonix". GPster