Looking for a body...no not that kind..

Started by 1FATGMC, October 18, 2004, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I have to finish a couple small projects on the house and then mid-winter I sure hope to be started on a car for B'ville.  I've planned on building a lakester, but am starting to think about the modified roadster class.  It is pretty close to building a lakester.

The one reason went with the lakester before was I could build the body.  In the modified roadster class I have to have "a production roadster body  or an exact replica of a roadster body produced between 1923 and 1938".  I'm looking at some of the glass bodies and would be interested in any links any of you might have to manufactures.  I have the Speedway Catalog.  This doesn't have to be a well built body as I can reinforce it, it just needs to be an "exact replica".

My other option would be a real steel body and if anyone has any leads on one of these I would be interested.  I would like a body that isn't in good shape as that might get the price down to where I can deal with it.  I don't need a floor, just the body from the cowl back and no fenders, running boards, etc..  Any leads would be apprectiated.

The body doesn't have to be a ford, but I would like something that is as narrow or narrower than a '27 ford.

I'm traveling to Mich then Missouri in November, so picking something up on the trip might be an option.  

c ya, Sum

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

I'm traveling to Mich then Missouri in November, so picking something up on the trip might be an option.  

c ya, Sum

You ARE???  Sounds like an RRT BBQ/garage crawl needs to be planned.  Can we assume your visiting George?

Oh yeah, I'll keep my eyes/ears open for you.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

GPster

Never real sure but I have had a cheap "T" body in the past and I think it was one from M.A.S. in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They also advertise a '32 Austin/Bantam roadster body. They seem to have a line of race products that they don't advertise so they might have a "race weight" body available. If the body I had was one of theirs the body mounting flange that they advertise is not much more than a flange to glass their seat insert to and the body is pretty flimsy without it so their body might be the kind of thing you're looking for. GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"

c ya, Sum

You ARE???  Sounds like an RRT BBQ/garage crawl needs to be planned.  Can we assume your visiting George?

Oh yeah, I'll keep my eyes/ears open for you.

Sounds like fun, but I don't think we will be there long enough.  You could leave some cookies along the interstate in a goodie bag though  :lol: .

We are going to visit Mike (outlaw on the old RRT) and his wife up by the "thumb" north of Bay City.  I think we will be going by George's so I'm going to have to see if he will be home for a short visit.  We will leave here on a Friday and get to Mike's on Sunday about 1700 miles.  We will just be there for 3 days and then will leave for my mom's in Missouri, so unfortunately we won't be in the area over a weekend.

Thanks for thinking of us though,

Sum

enjenjo

I'm off all the time now, and right near a main route from Bay City to Indy. :lol: US 23 south will get you to within 15 miles of the house.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

purplepickup

Here's a  couple of pics of some guys I know from Louisiana that run an unblown gas modified roadster (C/GMR).  I met them on Power Tour a few years back.  I didn't have much of a chance to talk to them this year but they did say that they had to add a LOT of weight to make it stable.   Their best run was 231.407 on Sunday.  The new record for their class was set this year at 235.66 by Amos Beard.

George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm off all the time now,

I hear tell that retirement had little to do with you being off
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm off all the time now,

I hear tell that retirement had little to do with you being off

KMA :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

awsum34

There's a guy here in KC that has a 32 chevy roadster body, This summer he was trying to sell it.  I can't remember how much, he also has two 30 or 31 chevys sedan's he was selling.  I think we was asing 3,000 for all three, probably take less. cash talks,
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

GPster

Quote from: "awsum34"There's a guy here in KC that has a 32 chevy roadster body, he also has two 30 or 31 chevys sedan's he was selling.  
There was a guy in Michgan that was collecting that Chevy stuff . But I think he's in a house-cleaning mode right now. GPster

sirstude

Sum,

Talk to Randy Mead at http://www.ravonstreetrods.com/.  He runs a BFMR Deuce out of Billings.  I know he builds a  lightweight 32 roadster with no reenforcing in it just to use for race cars.  He usually takes pretty good care of the racing guys.  Ron Tesinsky (he owns Burklands old Studebaker) drives the Deuce.  He also has an old Tank with a bunch of lakes/Bonneville history, that he has pulled a plug off of.  At least he was in the process of that before the fire.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

George I've been looking at a picture of that car in the Speedweek Program.  It is a very nice car.  If you have any other pictures of it or any of the other modified roadsters could you e-mail them to me (make them about the same file size as these) or I'm going to call you to see if we can stop and see you for an hour or so on the way to Mike's.  If that works out I could get a copy of your CD from your trip out here.

Frank, thanks for the invite.  I'd love to stop and see your current projects, but I go down I69 to Indy.    I have to make Mike's to St. Louis in one day and it is a long haul.

Doug I called Raven, but those bodies, even the race ones, are a little too high for my budget.  They opened in Billings a year before I left that area for southern Utah.  They do make nice bodies.  Looks like my best bet is either Speedway or Rod n Race (thanks Steve for the links).

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "1FATGMC"George I've been looking at a picture of that car in the Speedweek Program.  It is a very nice car.  If you have any other pictures of it or any of the other modified roadsters could you e-mail them to me ........  

c ya, Sum
I don't have any more pics of their car.  I've got their phone number somewhere if you want to ask them anything.  They're just regular good 'ol boys.

I'll email you about stopping by.   I'll be home and you're more than welcome.  I'm about 5 miles off the interstate.

Here's some more pics I took of other modified roadsters.

This one's easy on the eyes

The Rovers

Of course there's Russ Meeks

......and the slowest modified roadster of them all :wink:
George