Guide headlight information

Started by sal37, October 16, 2004, 06:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sal37

I am thinking of using a pair of those Guide headlights (with the small indicator on the top of the headlight bucket) that are appearing on a number of cars these days (often on "rat rods") and I am looking for some information on them including when they were produced, pictures of the various models etc.  Websites, old catalogues etc would be useful.    Also, are they still being made - possibly repos or are swap meets and ebay the only places that you can buy them these days??

Thanks for your help

Steve

awsum34

I think Southernrods sell what your looking for.  there $135 a pair.        in the search box type headlights. will be the bottom on the list.//www.southernrods.com
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

phat46

Also check swaps and E Bay. I bought a pair on E Bay a couple years ago fo $40, They are going for quite a bit more now. The last pair i saw at a swap was $180.  BTW I need the rings for mine if anyone has  spare set.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat46"Also check swaps and E Bay. I bought a pair on E Bay a couple years ago fo $40, They are going for quite a bit more now. The last pair i saw at a swap was $180.  BTW I need the rings for mine if anyone has  spare set.

I don't have any spares, but Divco hadlight rings will fit too. There were a pair of guides at the swap meet today, no rings, and missing one parking light lense for $100
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

The Guide headlights were made from the early 40's to the early 60's, made by the Delco Division of GM. There were several different versions, differences in the lens on the Parking lights, length of the parking light housing, and the length of the body, some had no parking light. They were never used on cars as original equipment but came on a multitude of trucks and other equipment throught the 40's and 50's. They were OE on Kenworth, Peterbilt, White, Reo, DiamondT, Federal, Mack, GMC, Crane Carrier, Capacity, Oshkosh, FWD, and others. Divco also used a modified body without the parking light, that looked like it was part of the grille, the retainer rings will fit the regular Guide lights. Also in the late 60's, Guide made a universal head light bucket used for off road equipment that used the same ring as the Guide free standing lights. The rings came both painted, and chrome, some of the early rings were brass, and I have seen stainless rings too.

There were other, similar lights made by another company used by IH, but the parking lights are broader and more rounded. LaFrance, and some of the other fire trucks used a light about 18" long with a parking light on top, but there were not Guides either, possibly Deitz
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Divco also used a modified body without the parking light, that looked like it was part of the grille, the retainer rings will fit the regular Guide lights. Also in the late 60's, Guide made a universal head light bucket used for off road equipment that used the same ring as the Guide free standing lights. The rings came both painted, and chrome, some of the early rings were brass, and I have seen stainless rings too.

Thanks Frank for the ideas, I alway forget to take one of the buckets to the swap meets to look for the rings...Didn't someone post a while back about Harley headlight rings that fit too?

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "sal37"I am thinking of using a pair of those Guide headlights (with the small indicator on the top of the headlight bucket) that are appearing on a number of cars these days (often on "rat rods") and I am looking for some information on them including when they were produced, pictures of the various models etc.  Websites, old catalogues etc would be useful.    Also, are they still being made - possibly repos or are swap meets and ebay the only places that you can buy them these days??

Thanks for your help

Steve

this fellow on ebay had the lights for sale and also had the appropriate buckets for my 50 f1 and probably others I have never delt with him though. quoted me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2494520020&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The one that my tech is telling me we have replaces the old seal beam with a hologen replacement. I beleave this is the one that you want!! They rin 34.95ea for the hole thing with the signal kit would be $89.98.

12V Bulbs
Housings
Signal Kits

Ed ke6bnl <ke6bnl@juno.com> wrote:
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

sal37

Thanks for the information guys.  I saw several pairs at the Nationals (Louisville) but the cheapest were $250 which seemed pricey (and marginal condition) so I did not buy any.  I have seen some advertised on ebay but the condition of some of them seemed doubtful.  
I will keep looking on ebay for a set but I was hoping that some of you could keep an eye out for a good swap meet set for me.  (I would do it myself but the air fares make it difficult).  Please PM me if you can do this.
Thanks

Steve