Plasma cutters

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 16, 2004, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I'm looking at thermal dynamics , miller, lincoln  for a plasma cutter. I'd like to stay in the $1,000 - 1200 dollar range.  3/8 plate would be the thick stuff I'd cut, after that I could get the gas axe out.

Seems some of these units function 120 & 240 volts now. I have both voltages easily availible here

We have a Miller spectrum 375 at work, it seems to cut stuff well.

I have this bug in my butt about a Honda CBX motor cycle. Built in late 1970's early 80's these were 6 cylinder bikes , fairly fast for the day. I could not afford one when they were new. I can afford them now... LOL

Then I thought "what am I doing?"  I want more tools for the shop , so I guess I will buy tools....not another motorcycle.

Looking at a couple of larger lathes and a mill too..... all used heavy good stuff. I dont need multiple lathes, some friends have several in their shop for sale
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have used the Lincoln Procut 55. We bought it for $1700 new Excellent machine Consumables are reasonably priced. They do have a smaller model. 220 and up voltage supply.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Crosley"I'm looking at thermal dynamics , miller, lincoln  for a plasma cutter. I'd like to stay in the $1,000 - 1200 dollar range.  3/8 plate would be the thick stuff I'd cut, after that I could get the gas axe out.

Seems some of these units function 120 & 240 volts now. I have both voltages easily availible here

I've got the Thermal Dynamics Pak Master 38 it is a 3/8" mach & 110/220 with the flip of the switch. I have cut 1/2" with several passes on 220
Works great for me :)

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Sean

We have several Plasma cutters at the shop I work in. Two of them are 50amp Esabs and they seem to hold up very well to our use and abuse. The latest one we bought is a small Hypertherm Plasma that has its own compressor built in. Just plug it into a wall outlet and go.

I don't remember for sure what model it is, but its less than 20 amps (110v) so its limited to about 3/16" material. I had to go do some Stainless work in a Restaurant the other day and it cut the 16g SS I was working on like butter. Would be great for someone that just did bodywork, especially since you don't have to mess with an external air compressor.

I know you are wanting something bigger than that, but the reason I mentioned that particular machine is because I was looking at a Miller Catalog Friday and Miller has one nearly identical to the Hypertherm I just described. The outer case, controls, and even the Torch head design looked the same. From what I could see in the picture, the tips even looked to be the same design. Made me wonder if Miller and Hypertherm are made by the same people.

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for the comments.

I did more research on the HAMB, a welding/fabbing  bbs and some google searches

it looks like if I stay with a main line name I will have a good machine and easy to buy consumables.

Now to find the deal I want... LOL
Tony

MrMopar64

Get ahold of Ed or Merrit at Airgas 626 358 0101 tell them Randy gave you the number and see what they can do if they give you a price you like..... I think you can buy from them over the phone and pick it up at a store closer to you ;)

Hope this helps

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

river1

tony, once you figure out which one you want let me know. i'll check with a friend that has a welding supply company on a price. he sells to me at his cost so it should be very competitive. he deals mainly with miller then lincoln but can get any company's stuff.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

mrloboy

Hi Tony; I have a snap-on 50 amp machine which works well. I believe it is actually built by thermodyne, but am not sure. Here in Canada thinks do vary! It works well, but is overpriced I am sure. Most name brand plasma units are of good quality and deninitely worth their cost proviidng you do enough production to justify the expense. rick

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Crosley"snip
I have this bug in my butt about a Honda CBX motor cycle. Built in late 1970's early 80's these were 6 cylinder bikes , fairly fast for the day. I could not afford one when they were new. I can afford them now... LOL

snip

I got the biggest scare of my life on one of those.  I had a 750four at the time, and it was a POS.  Anyway, a guy, I vaguely knew bought a CBX1000.  We were at the uni, and he said he would take me for a pillion ride.  Well, being a bit stupid, I hopped on.  He took off down towars Sydney airport, and got onto this freeway section, and gunned it.  I bloody near popped off the back, so I grabbed him around the waist, and hung on for my life.  I swear he took it up around 10,000rpm in third gear; we must of been doing around 100mph.  When he backed-off the thing got the death wobbles, not a 'tank-slapper', but pretty scarey stuff.

I have never ridden as a pillion since then.

Not long after that, I went to Bathurst for the Easter races.  That was probably around 1982, or so.  Anyway, a fellow got killed on (off) a CBX at the end of Conrod straight.  He was backing-off from top speed (waterever that was) and it went into a 'tank-slapper' and cartwheeled.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
Quote from: "Crosley"snip
I have this bug in my butt about a Honda CBX motorcycle. ...snip

I got the biggest scare of my life on one of those.  ...a guy, I vaguely knew bought a CBX1000.  ....he said he would take me for a pillion ride.   I hopped on.  He gunned it.  I bloody near popped off the back, so I grabbed him around the waist, and hung on for my life.  

I have never ridden as a pillion since then.

... a fellow got killed on a CBX .....  He was backing-off from top speed (waterever that was) and it went into a 'tank-slapper' and cartwheeled.
Suspensions on those bikes really sucked for a six cylinder engine.  I knew of a guy that was killed on one when it wickwhacked at high speed too.

As far as riding on the back goes, I don't do it.  I guess I'm just not that trusting.  I want my hands on the handlebars not wrapped around another guy's waist.....unless it's Tony's  :shock:

Hey Tony, why don't you buy a couple different brand name plasma cutters and see which one is the best and keep it.....then send the other one to me.  I'll pay the shipping :D
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"Hey Tony, why don't you buy a couple different brand name plasma cutters and see which one is the best and keep it.....then send the other one to me.  I'll pay the shipping :D

====== I'll teach you..... I'll send you 2 of them and the shipping will cost twice what you expect.  wait , that don't sound right..  :wink:

I forget the term for the  rotational dynamics that happen on a bike that cause the high speed wobbles, usually a crash uless the rider is really on top of things.  Early Goldwings had this problem over 90 mph .
Tony

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"I forget the term for the  rotational dynamics that happen on a bike that cause the high speed wobbles, usually a crash unless the rider is really on top of things .

The best place to be after a crash is to be on top of things. I have a biker/rider friend that lost control of one at 135 MPH and he thought it was better to deal with burns from a hot engine rather than have nothing between him and the road at speed. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"tony, once you figure out which one you want let me know. i'll check with a friend that has a welding supply company on a price. he sells to me at his cost so it should be very competitive. he deals mainly with miller then lincoln but can get any company's stuff.

later jim

jim , thanks.  I have no idea what brand I want yet.... cept I was told the Miller units are a bit less reliable.  Lincoln gets the nod from most folks , yet on the high end money wise.

Couple of guys like the Thermal Dyne(sp?) units for price / quality / performance.

I have found no one that can comment on Esab units

we have a weld supply rep that comes in.  Mayb you have noticed some welding going on when in the Hughes Performance shop??  I will see what numbers I get from him..... LOL
Tony

Jbird

I've got a Hypertherm 350, it cost about $1600 through the Mac man. Yesterday I had to free hand some big block header flanges out of 1/4" plate. It took a litle longer to cut them out than it did to draw the design on the plate with a marking pen. Don't go to small. mine will cut 3/8 slowly but some times I wish it was bigger. Kinda like my........ never mind.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Stakebed

We got a smaller esab unit at work, can't remember the capacity for sure but I think its up to half inch. We had a problem when we first got it with kicking out on overtemp. Figured out the cooling fan was not running part of the time. We sent it back on the welding truck and it returned in a week fixed. Has worked well since then. I believe it goes to 40 amp. Other than the fan glitch it has performed well, cost was around 1500.
One nice thing is it doesn't weigh a lot so if we need it up on the catwalks it can be easily carried up the stairs by one person.