Why does my car have a frame? (good article)

Started by idrivejunk, August 24, 2024, 03:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

It occurred to me randomly that if my stock muscle era GM intermediate car were lined up alongside it's competitors it would be the only one that really has a frame.

So I peeked down the rabbit hole and found this fascinating article:

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/tech-history-vintage-article-the-perimeter-frame-body-and-frame-not-body-on-frame/
Matt

jaybee

That was really interesting, Matt, thanks. The design was brilliant for the time, when a soft, quiet ride on straight roads was the whole mission, and it adapted pretty well to drag racing up to 400hp or so. It's kind of brilliant to divide up shock loads between the suspension bushings, frame rails, body mount bushings, and the body itself. Especially considering the relatively limited shock and spring technology of the time.

Today, basically nothing smaller than a pickup truck or pickup-based SUV like a Tahoe uses a frame, and those use a ladder frame as opposed to the flexible frame you're describing. Today's horsepower would make the muscle cars of yesterday go a little pale, and the really high powered vehicles now run a powerband many drag racers only pretended to have.

The design tools are a lot more sophisticated now, allowing Engineers to put just the right amount of metal just where it's needed. That's reflected in the different driving experience of the old cars...and in some ways it was better. Put the hammer to something like a big block Chevelle or a strong running Mustang and you'd better be up on the wheel. Cars that will outrun them easily now are just point and shoot, without nearly as much drama.

Especially if you want to stop or turn corners. That's what really killed the original generations of muscle cars. Put your foot down and you'd better be looking WAY down the road so you're not going too fast when you ask the car to turn or stop. Today's cars do that so much better.

But what about that smooth ride? Part of it is that we've just learned to appreciate steering and ride that's a little tighter and better controlled. A huge factor, though, is that shock absorbers are way better now than they were in the day. They have to be when everything is a unibody to provide stiffness for all that other stuff.

From your article, here's something in the comments about today's aftermarket chassis:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Well, I didn't write any of that. Just linked to an article with an older article pictured within. Not able to see the vid you posted.

Don't forget about dirt roads.
Matt

jaybee

Nothing is quite the same as having your car chatter across the road on washboard. No way to stop it except back clear off the gas so it'll settle down. When Fords had buggy springs and wishbones they were a perfect suspension for the extremely rough roads.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)