Power steering on the Jeepster

Started by GPster, May 16, 2024, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Yes to the PTFE being teflon. I would remove the pressure switch but I didn't do any research to see if there could be a down side to that.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Your reply reminded me that I could do some more checking. That switch goes to circuit "C" in the computer which has the Idle Air Control Motor. The switch has it's own ground wired to it so that indicates some importance. That circuit has no indicator light on it. Maybe I could put a "jumper" on it so it would be 'hot' all the time but I'd have to think if it would help me with my lack of anybody to make AN fittings. I've been running all this stuff thru my mind for weeks. So much so that I've asked here for help. GPster

kb426

I'm using the 16mm male to 6an male adapter that Summit and Speedway sells. The outlet on the pump has a slight bevel. I'm using a copper sealing washer and a o ring under it. I went to Rock Auto and looked up the pressure hose for a 91 s10. It shows 16mm on both ends. Could you use the factory hose and remove the hose from it? The Carquest dealer has steel compression fittings that could go on the steel ends and allow them to crimp the correct length of hose to the ends. I don't remember what rack and pinion you're using so that may be a waste of time. :)
TEAM SMART

GPster

The Jeepster is a re-bodied 1991 S10/1987 S15 using the best of each so it's all GM. I didn't like the power steering pump 0n the S15 because of the remote fill but the s10 had the fill on the pump so I went with it. Found out later that someone had changed the pump to one off a Chevrolet LLV ( a Chevrolet 'rolling chassis" that they build mail trucks out of). When I started with this "LEAK" I thought it was between the pump and the reservoir so I ordered a replacement pump (only to find out that my core had a different size pulley shaft). That's when I discovered that the actual leak was from the pump outlet and leaking from between the pump and the reservoir. As soon as I find this teflon 0 ring seal that much should be fixed. Going back to this switch the S15 had it and because I'm using the S15 computer I tried to duplicate it's wiring. The place that could make me the 6AN line that I needed between the pump and the switch (has changed hands and no longer has anybody that can do it). The piece I had made was only 4 1/8" long  and then I cut it for a regular flare (37 or 45) so now I don't have that piece for the original (working) idea. If a teflon crush washer will do the job for my pump outlet I'll be a little further along. GPster