What EXACTLY is the difference between '40-41 Ford body shel

Started by Blownolds, October 15, 2004, 01:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blownolds

What EXACTLY is the difference between '40-41 Ford passenger body shells, SPECIFICALLY in the area of the windshield, cowl, roof, front pillar posts, doors, doorjam, and beltline?????

I realize the rest of the sheetmetal is different. I also don't care about little brackets, or trim, etc. What I'm trying to determine, is what, if anything, is different in the bodies in the above mentined part of the body shell?

I have a chance to pick up a CHEAP '41 shell, and need to know quickly. I'd like to cut a section out of it to use in my project, and I know '40 will work, but not sure about '41.

Anyone??

phat rat

Quote from: "Blownolds"What EXACTLY is the difference between '40-41 Ford passenger body shells, SPECIFICALLY in the area of the windshield, cowl, roof, front pillar posts, doors, doorjam, and beltline?????

I realize the rest of the sheetmetal is different. I also don't care about little brackets, or trim, etc. What I'm trying to determine, is what, if anything, is different in the bodies in the above mentined part of the body shell?

I have a chance to pick up a CHEAP '41 shell, and need to know quickly. I'd like to cut a section out of it to use in my project, and I know '40 will work, but not sure about '41.

Anyone??
Everythings different
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

rumrumm

The '41 is a pre-cursor to the '46-48 bodies. I don't know about the frame but the shape of the body is completely different.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

tom36

The '41 is a car/frame all by itself.  It is the width of the '35 thru '40 frames, and longer like the '46 thru '48 frames.  You could use the front axle assembly in a '35 thru '40 frame and the rear end too (if you change the torque tube to a '35 thru 40).  The 1941 pick up frame is the same as the '35 thru '40 car frames.. Hope this helps you, Tom..

Blownolds

So the cowl itself, and the windshield opening itself is different, then?

tom36

Quote from: "Blownolds"So the cowl itself, and the windshield opening itself is different, then?

Like I say, the '41 is a mongrel Ford all by itself.  Tom..

enjenjo

Quote from: "Blownolds"So the cowl itself, and the windshield opening itself is different, then?

Yes. Altogether different. Nothing interchanges. Not the glass, not the trim, not the hood, not the hinges, not the fenders, not the doors, and not any other body part you can mention.

Are you trying to put a 40 passenger car front end on a pickup? If so, I'll tell you how.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Blownolds

Yes, I'm trying to put some '40 passenger stuff on a '40 P'up. Not really the fenders, what I'm trying to do is chop the top, but the top will be my own creation--- a '40 passenger front section, which slopes back much more than P'up, but also has the windshield coming off the cowl sooner than it does on the P'up. The back section above the beltline will be the smooth back from a '38-9 P'up cab.

I'd also love to hear about putting passenger stuff on a pickup, what can you tell me?

enjenjo

The passenger car grille , standard or deluxe,will fit the truck front fenders. The passenger car hood needs some reshaping at the cowl, not much,anf reworking of the hinges. But there is a body line on the truck that is not present on the car. You can combine the two hoods to make a hybrid, with the body line, or rework the cowl so the body line ends there.

Now that I understand what you are doing, the 41 upper cowl and windshield should work for what you want to do. It may have to be narrowed to fit right, but that's not a big deal. You will have to make the front cut behind the lip for the rear edge of the hood. The sides of the windshield posts will have to be modified to match up with the truck body, I believe they are somewhat thinner than the truck posts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

The chassis of the 41 is basically the same as the 46-48. There are minor differences, but structurally from the viewpoint of a streetrodder, they will adapt satisfacturally. As for the body, no similarity between 40 and successive years prevail. They are unique and worthy of their own following. rj