200R4 Abuse limits

Started by Stevie G, October 12, 2004, 01:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie G

Just how much engine can you put through a 200R4?
I see guys running them behind 455's and wonder how long they hold up.
Also wondering how much effect vehicle size has on tranny choice.
I want O/D with decent ratio's but am a little aprehensive about popping $3K on a 4L80 setup.
Do you like monsters?  Get a Swamp Thing T-Shirt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Stevie G"Just how much engine can you put through a 200R4?
I want O/D with decent ratio's but am a little aprehensive about popping $3K on a 4L80 setup.

=======200-4r needs  lots of heavy duty parts for them to hold up to a big cid engine
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Stevie G"Just how much engine can you put through a 200R4?

I would check out Bowtie Overdrives (  http://www.2004r.com/faq/bighp.shtml ) and their level 2 transmissions.  A lot of the guys over on the Chevy Talk board have bought and installed those transmissions and they like them and the service the company has provided.

I have a kind of local guy (80 miles away) that built my 700R4 and I've been really happy with it.  If you know of a good builder that you could trust that is an option, otherwise I think I would order one from these guys.

c ya, Sum

Stevie G

Quote from: "Crosley"
=======200-4r needs  lots of heavy duty parts for them to hold up to a big cid engine

So, it can be done?
The engine is a 425 Nailhead w/ 2-4bbls.
The car is a 39 Buick Hearse.

river1

Quote from: "Stevie G"The car is a 39 Buick Hearse.

WOW what does that look like? have any pics?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

OlBuzzard

'39 Buick hearse!  Man, people are dying to get into one of those! I hope my TH200r4 holds up behind my 350 Chevy, single 4 bbl. in my '36 Ford tudor.  How about some pics of that Buford?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Stevie G"
Quote from: "Crosley"

So, it can be done?
The engine is a 425 Nailhead w/ 2-4bbls.
The car is a 39 Buick Hearse.

this guy is the guru of 200-4r trannys on the west end of the country IMHO...

http://www.ptsnctb.com/
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Stevie G

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Stevie G"The car is a 39 Buick Hearse.

WOW what does that look like? have any pics?

later jim
Well....yes I do...

When I got it,it had been painted over for ambulance duty.

This is where it's headed.  Still have some details to work out.

1FATGMC

That will be a neat ride when you are done with it.

For something of that size and weight I would recommend the 700R4 over the 200R4.  One thing is that they are easier to come by and probably less expensive if built to the same hp levels.

But the main reason I would go with the 700R4 is the 3.06 first gear.  You can run a 3.50 or a 3.73 rear and with the 700's lower first it would be like running a 3.90 or a 4.16 rear using the 200R4.  It will move you off the line much better and still you will be about the same rpm in overdrive.

My truck is pretty heavy at 4100 lb. and with the teardrop my overall weight goes up to about 5800 lb. and with the 700R4 in my truck with a 3.50 rear and 28 inch tires it accelerates good from a stop.

I'd go with the 700 for what you are doing.

c ya, Sum

Stevie G

Ya' know....I need to remember that this is not going to be a drag car.
I usually go with the 200 for the spread in gear ratios (Smaller drop from 1st to 2nd) but the 700 would be good for getting this beast moving and definitely for cruising in first.  I can always replace it with a 4L80 later when funds are available.  The important thing is to get it on the road.

Thanks for the input.