AOD questions

Started by btrc, October 12, 2004, 07:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrc

I've decided that I'm going to switch the C6 in my '37 ford for an AOD trans.  What year, etc. is the best to try to find?  It will be behind a 351C.  A friend has told me that one from '85 would be the way to go.  I'm planning to have it rebuilt and probably updated with a good valvebody, etc.  What brand componets would be best?  Also plan to change the converter for something in the 2000 RPM stall range.  Or should I do something totally different?
 Crosley, do you or the company you work for do AODs?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob

Crosley.In.AZ

get the latest year possible.

1988 or newer.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

47wood

You may want to check this site out:  www.700r4.com    :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "47wood"You may want to check this site out:  www.700r4.com    :wink:

for an AOD Ford tranny... why?
Tony

TerryO

If you are going for a non electronic AOD, the '92/'93 F150 version is the one to go with. It has 2" bands and all the others are 1.5".

btrc

OK, so it looks like the newer the better.  I don't want to use an electronically controlled trans so early 90s seem to be the answer.  What company seems to have the best rebuild kits? I'm looking for reliability with a crisp but not shocking shift.  Also I see companies offer both lock-up and not lock-up torque converters,  I think I would lean to the lock-up if I can get one in a decent stall.
Anyone with experience with the AOD in a rod?
Bob

Crosley.In.AZ

A TransGo shift kit is the one to use on this AOD tranny.

The wider band mentioned is for O-Drive only.  Ford increased the width of the band , then down sized the diameter of the servo.  The larger servo ( early design) can be retro fitted .

www.bulkpart.com  lists quality parts at a fair price....... I have never bought from them
Tony