48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have some aftermarket self canceling turn signal switches that would fit if you would like to try one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

This one showed up at a local show yesterday.  It is sectioned, chopped. and narrowed.  He said that if he did another one, he would not narrow the cab.  As rough as this one looks, it is actually well built with air conditioning and other features.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

O&S has spent more time thinking about this project instead of working on it. I'm going to spare everyone the diatribe of thinking and proceed to some progress. I have spent hours removing clutch head screws. I'm not done yet. :) I have the right floor removed and trimmed and a pattern made for the metal. I was concerned about the cowl repair rusting so I sanded, ground and bondoed the panel and area. I shot 2 coats of epoxy on it to hold it till later. I have removed most of the dents that I could get access to. My plan at this point is to get the rust repair completed and finish filling the holes in the firewall that a rod wouldn't use.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I used to see one about like that in South Des Moines, but it was a Ford cab in gray primer. Looked like huge fun with a tiny flatbed no wider than the bed floor would be and a tank right behind the cab. Whoever owned it drove the wheels off it. I don't recall ever seeing it at a show because it was always moving.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

I have spent several hours this week removing screws from the cab. Most are out now. Clutch head, phillips and straight. Most were rusty. And tedious to remove. :) Some broke off leaving more work. I'm still not having any success finding a donor car. Transportation problems have kept the steel for the frame from being delivered. This is becoming a test. LOL. One thing that is different is that if I get irritated, I walk away and start over the next day or two. :) If all of the parts were laying there, I would be in road gear, sometimes I'm in no gear. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

The steel for the frame rails arrived today. I'm going to finish the floor in the truck before moving on to the chassis.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I am suggesting we start a contest to see when this project gets to roller status . You will have this truck done before I get the doors to fit on my T coupe  :lol: . I am going to factor in supply chain issues and my prediction is Dec 20 . Winner gets to become grand master of team smart !(or some equally prestigious title ) 8) Looking forward to watching this build as I have all of your previous builds .

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

I've spent hours looking for a donor car with no results. I may end up with a 350 chevy vortec that is a hydraulic roller cam engine that needs rebuilt. If that happens, an available automatic will probably be added to the project. Part of the goal is to end up with a reliable, fun hot rod that wasn't expensive. Ratty is not part of the plan. There are no rules on this one even though that could be a mistake. I've been watching long enough to know that stock appearing units sell easier than modified. :) I seem to always sell after the build is completed. The thought process is not moving at a good pace. There will be more thinking before too much gets done. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Regarding your comments on the price of steel, I heard a radio story tonight about a shortage of precision ball bearings. Part of it is that Russia was an enormous supplier of steel to the world until the Ukraine war got their products banned in much of the year. They said the price of steel has more than doubled in 2 years, which you spoke to previously.

kb426

After an embarrassing amount of time, I have a tiny bit of progress to share. The right side floor repair is partially welded. The plug welds are done and the toe board is tacked. I rolled 2 ribs to kind of emulate the original and the area where the trans cover goes was offset rolled. I ran out of time to complete the welding today. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

That's a pretty good mimic of the original.

kb426

O&S finished welding the floor pan in. I have a kick panel repair to do along with the holes on the left side floor where the brake cylinder and a hole for the pto control was cut. I made the patterns for those 2 before I was surrounded by no desire to proceed. LOL.
TEAM SMART