Spinner wheel

Started by timkins, August 06, 2021, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

I have enclosed 2 photo that show the wheels on my car. After I torque the wheels to specs and drive a couple of hundred miles the lugs loosen very slightly and when I go around a corner it sounds like a nut is loose in the Blue lug nut cover. Where the washer that goes with the lug nuts have ground their way about halfway thru the spinner bracket(2nd photo circled in yellow). Can I use a larger diameter washer so that it contacts the spindle mount more evenly? I realize I  would have to grind a small crescent shape on the washer to meet the contour of the spinner mount and put a concave shape in the hole for the lug nut. Is this feasible or am I biting off more than I can chew.

kb426

Are the washers offset or concentric? I can't tell by the pic.
TEAM SMART

timkins

Quote from: "kb426"Are the washers offset or concentric? I can't tell by the pic.
They are concentric.

kb426

How about a pic of the back side of the spinner unit?
TEAM SMART

timkins

Quote from: "kb426"How about a pic of the back side of the spinner unit?
have to pull a wheel and disassemble the spinner tomorrow and I will take a photo and post. One other thing I forgot to mention is the  problems only affect the rear wheels.

kb426

Have you checked to see if the axle flanges might be bent? What style of brake assemblies are on the rear? Have you tried running without the spinners to see if it does the same thing?
TEAM SMART

timkins

The rear axle assembly is an 8" Ford out of a Mustang. Had the axles checked when I replaced the bearings last year.The brake assemblies are stock Mustang. I have not tried running without the 3 bar spinner and that may be an idea. The tires on the rear are BF GoodrichTA radial 255/70/R15 and I run about 24-26 lbs as this gives me the smoothest ride. Maybe they need more air to cut down on the side flex as I only hear the noise when I am cornering. You questions have really started me thinking in different directions, thanks.

timkins

After taking this off the wheel, it is not as bad as I thought or appeared while still attached to the wheel. I am going to trry running the wheels on back without the 3 bar and see what happens.

58 Yeoman

Looks to me that the three bar plate should go behind the wheel?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

timkins

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Looks to me that the three bar plate should go behind the wheel?
Tried that but the spindle portion will not fit thru the hole in the wheel from the backside

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

timkins

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Well, that sucks. :lol:
great idea that forced me to run to the garage and pull a wheel and disassemble the spindle and try but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

enjenjo

I suggest cutting the lug nut ears off and just using the smaller bolt to hold it in place, You might have to drill and tap for bigger bolts. Maybe 6mm.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

It looks like the spinners are made to fit different bolt patterns and might use an oval Unilug type washer.
George