Different rims for radials?

Started by junkyardjeff, May 08, 2021, 09:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Got radials on the original rims for my 65 mercury and the full wheel covers are coming off,heard the rims tend to flex more with radials then bias ply so is there a time frame to get rims made after or just go with small caps.

enjenjo

Radial rims are a bit thicker gauge but that not really the problem. It's the center flexing that causes the problem. I have no solution, and have had the same problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Radial wheels? Well, I'll be. I wondered on this ever since Cragars were sixty bucks. My schoolboy solution to three hubcaps was dull aluminum rattle can on hubs, nuts, and wheel rims. I never had any idea that radials were the cause for throwing hubcaps. Thanks for the new, long-awaited brain wrinkle, Frank.
Matt

junkyardjeff

Since its the bottom of the line Montclair I found a set of the small caps and not going to deal with the full ones coming off.

58 Yeoman

My parents bought a new 1960 Chevy Belair sedan with the poverty caps and bias tires. We'd be riding down the road when one of the caps would fly off. Parent would stop the car, and one of us kids would retrieve it. Put it back on til the next time it came off. Most of the poverty caps I've seen for sale are all dented up. I know why.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil