Can I cut this off?

Started by phat46, April 18, 2021, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I cobbled up a sheet metal fan shroud for my car. Fits the rad well, but it touches the front of the P.S. pump. I wonder if I could cut this part of the pully off, it would clear then. There's nothing inside for about a half inch.

WZ JUNK

No, not if you intend to remove that pulley sometime in the future.  The puller to remove and instal that pulley clamps into that groove.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"No, not if you intend to remove that pulley sometime in the future.  The puller to remove and instal that pulley clamps into that groove.

John

Yeah I kinda thought that what it was for. I highly doubt I would ever pull that pulley, if that pump went bad I would probably just get a whole new pump and pulley. The alternative is to cut a section out to the bottom of the shroud and let that pulley end spin inside the shroud.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"No, not if you intend to remove that pulley sometime in the future.  The puller to remove and instal that pulley clamps into that groove.

John

Yeah I kinda thought that what it was for. I highly doubt I would ever pull that pulley, if that pump went bad I would probably just get a whole new pump and pulley. The alternative is to cut a section out to the bottom of the shroud and let that pulley end spin inside the shroud.

Most of those pumps require that you remove the pulley to access the bracket that mounts them.  The earlier pumps where held on by threads and not a press on and off fit.  I feel your pain.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I agree with John. Every time I try to take a shortcut anymore, I eat dodo and die. When I was young, I could get away with lots of stuff. I guess I killed the lucky rabbit. :) Your results may vary. LOL.
TEAM SMART

GPster

[quote="phat46"[/quote]
Yeah I kinda thought that what it was for. I highly doubt I would ever pull that pulley, if that pump went bad I would probably just get a whole new pump and pulley. The alternative is to cut a section out to the bottom of the shroud and let that pulley end spin inside the shroud.[/quote]                                                                                                                                                                   It sounds to me like this would be a good time to get a new pump and pulley. GPster

phat46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

John

Most of those pumps require that you remove the pulley to access the bracket that mounts them.  The earlier pumps where held on by threads and not a press on and off fit.  I feel your pain.

This one is on a bracket I made myself. I just had it off to mount to the new engine, no need to take off pulley. It might be easier to just cut the shroud, it only needs to go about up about 2" into the shroud, about 1/4" in. I thought about making a small box set into the shroud for the pulley snout too.

enjenjo

You need a pulley that is 1/2" shorter. Post the length and diameter of the one you have and I will dig through my box of power steering pulleys.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"You need a pulley that is 1/2" shorter. Post the length and diameter of the one you have and I will dig through my box of power steering pulleys.

Will that change the location of the belt? I'm also fighting belt alignment issues. Right now the pump lines up with the crank pulley, like it did on the motor that came out, but not with the water pump. The water pump needs to come out 1/2" to line up with either the crank pulley or the p.s. pump. I have spacers on the way.

enjenjo

give me the front to rear depth of the pulley, and the diameter. Also how far the end of the shaft is from the front surface of the pulley. If you push the pulley to the right location when you install it, it will line up with the crank pulley

How deep is the water pump pulley and the diameter? GM made about a million pulley combinations. any part number visible on the pulleys?

phat46

Frank, the pulley is 2 1/4" deep, 5 1/2" dia. It has 73873 IM. M stamped on it and C O over S 3   The pump shaft itself will accept a hex key.

The shaft is 5/16" inside the snout of the pulley.

enjenjo

I'll dig through the box.

enjenjo

I did not get a chance today. I went to Lima oh and drug a lathe out of a basement. When I got home I had to make room for it in the storage building.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I did not get a chance today. I went to Lima oh and drug a lathe out of a basement. When I got home I had to make room for it in the storage building.

No prob. Still waiting on water pump spacers anyway. Have they finished construction at I-75 and 68 in Findlay yet?

enjenjo

Quote from: "enjenjo"I did not get a chance today. I went to Lima oh and drug a lathe out of a basement. When I got home I had to make room for it in the storage building.

No prob. Still waiting on water pump spacers anyway. Have they finished construction at I-75 and 68 in Findlay yet?

I didn't go that way, it would have added 22 miles to the trip, and took about the same time. I went local roads to HC424 to SR109 to SR65 into Lima. The place I was going was one block off SR65