Always the small things...

Started by phat46, March 22, 2021, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"Phat 46 , I started cutting out the aluminum to make the alt mounts for my engine today. With the finned aluminum timing cover , I had to space the water pump .850 from the block . The weiand pump I have has no provision for mounting alt anyhow . I am going to mount alt on drivers side between valve cover and thermostat .  Will use 2 bolt holes on DS head to anchor the lower mount and then get creative with the top one . Just looked tonight and it seems my headers may not work . I have block huggers and my heads have exh. ports raised .400 . Middle plugs may not clear the pipes . :shock: I was thinking of making tri -y headers anyhow

I mounted my alt today in my new position. Would work there, kinda, but I want to replace the radiator with a new four row unit but the top outlet is on the driver side. The top hose would have to go right about where the alt sits. Looking at the alt mount I (finally) realized that it would mount n the head. The old motor had dbl hump heads with no accessory mounting holes. Bolted the mount on the head and it put the alt outside and f the valve cover. Even had a belt hanging on the wall that fit. Now I see I have to move the water pump pulls out about 3/8 inch. I added pics of how the whole mess came together. One pic where it worked but really didn't, and one pic in the right spot.

chimp koose

The spot in your bottom picture is where I will mount my alt. I am making a mount similar to yours but in reverse as it will mount off the head . my short pump is spaced .850 from the block to clear the finned timing cover so the alt will be the same amount fwd . It looks like I can make the head mounting holes and the lower alt bolt hole in line with each other and still clear the intake . I am using a vortec style eddy performer intake . It may take a try or two to get it all working . I still have to figure out what to do for a tensioner but want to put in a lh/rh rod end style turnbuckle somehow. The easiest way would have it pull the belt tight instead of push it tight, just wondering how that might work as I have never seen it done that way before .

phat46

If I had used the old rad, which is a recored '46 Chevy rad, with a Auto trans cooling tank added, that has a centered outlet at the top,  I would have left it inside of the valve cover, it looks good there. That rad barely cooled the mild 350 I had in there, I kept one eye on the heat gauge at all times, and I didn't think it would be up to the snow ask on this engine.

kb426

The narrow front always causes problems. You're getting there. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

If you close in the top pic you can see where I ground a flat spot in the intake manifold where my bracket hit when I had it mounted in the inboard position. That's gonna bug me forever now! 😄