More show and tell........

Started by Jbird, October 05, 2004, 10:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

A few weeks ago we got mom an old fashioned looking new fangled stove.
So I took her old oven and converted it into a powder coating oven. Two 4'X10' sheets of sheetmetal and 670 rivets later I finally got to powder coat something. The oven is almost nineteen cubic feet so it takes a minute to get hot. I'll probably switch to a bigger element later on. The hardest part, other than the 670 rivets, was finding high temp thermal insulation. After calling everbody in town I finally found it at McMaster- Carr. I ordered it online after five pm Thursday expecting to have it the first part of the week, well Friday morning just before lunch the big white truck shows up with two boxes of insulation. :shock:  Anyway here's the first batch of cookies to come out of moms old oven. Eastwoods' chrome smoke with a heavy coat of gloss clear. I'm happy.
        Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

MrMopar64

now lets see the oven..........  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Jbird

Here's some info and a couple of pics.
Materials cost was about $350. I used 18 gauge sheetmetal for the inner box. I cut the 18 gauge with my plasma cutter and bent the long corners between two pieces of 2X2 square tubing. The outer box is 24 gauge, cut and bent with my trusty old Harbor Freight brake, shear, roller. I used the heating element, electronics, window, inside light and door hinges off moms old oven. It's still under construction. I need to find some high temp door seal material. I'm welding up a slide out lower rack and bending up a couple more brackets to install two more hanger rods up high in the hot box. I need to make a door support and add an anti tip over foot for the front of the lower frame. It's not real tippy with the door hanging open but I know if I set  chunk of heavy metal on the open door I'll end up with the whole thing in my lap.  I also need to scotchbrite the inside and coat the walls of the hot box with something, I was thinking about using some Eastwood silver header coating. The 3 inches of insulation works real good, with the oven at 425 degrees you can hold your hand on the outer wall without that annoying smell of burning flesh. My younger sister thought I was crazy till I showed her the headlight bucket. She didn't think my joke about finding a rat skeleton in the old ovens insulation was funny at all.
     Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

enjenjo

McMaster Carr has some high temp silicone rubber seal that might work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MrMopar64

Looks good......... Thanks for the info and pix

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

OlBuzzard

Very nice--and isn't it fun hearing your little sister say, "eeeeuwwwww"!