The end of the "Okie Twister"

Started by WZ JUNK, June 14, 2020, 06:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

This afternoon during our annual Spring Hot Rod Reunion, at MOKAN Dragway, Hooley crashed and destroyed the "Okie Twister" Henry J gasser.  Hooley is okay but I am sure he will be sore tomorrow.  I do not know the details but I will post more information over the next day or so.  The important thing is that Hooley is okay.  I was not there today because of concerns I have about the Corona Virus.  Accounts from those that were there indicate that the car is destroyed.

I believe this was the 12th year we raced this car.  He told me last year that he had recorded over 1,000 passes with the car.  This season he had replaced the injected big block Chevy with the blown small engine that we ran at Bonneville.  

Sad day but the best news is that he is okay.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Man o man, this is tragic. :(

Its only metal. Hope only the car was hurt. And that he isn't banged up too bad because you are right... ya never know until a day or so after.

Might be tough to see now, but something good will come from it. Keep on. :arrow:
Matt

purplepickup

Great news that Hooley is ok. Really sad news about the car though. They brought a lot of pleasure to many people.
George

WZ JUNK

I visited with Hooley on the phone a few minuets ago.  He is fine.  No scraps or cuts.  He said he bounced around in the cage a lot and thought the car would never stop.  It happen just after he went through the finish when he pulled the chute.  He did not know what went wrong but it was a really good pass and the chute hit hard.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

Man, that sucks. I'm glad Hooley is ok though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I found this shot on the HAMB.  I think I can fix that :D
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

Wow.  The car sure is a mess.  Glad Hooley came out of that in good shape.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sirstude

Glad Hooley is ok, too bad about the car.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

The first photo gives us a couple of clues.  It appears the car is already turning to the right as the chute is coming out. The car is turned enough that the lettering on the side is not visible and the chute is well out to the left.  If things were going better, the chute should have tried to straighten the car.  I suspect by the time this photo was taken, recovery was not possible.   Hooley says he felt the chute hit really hard but maybe something else was going on too.  The car is so badly damaged, I doubt we find out much more.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

I looked at the fb pics. That won't buff out. :) You'd be a glutton for punishment to rebuild it. New chassis and suspension and see what it took to repair the body. Woa!
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"I looked at the fb pics. That won't buff out. :) You'd be a glutton for punishment to rebuild it. New chassis and suspension and see what it took to repair the body. Woa!

Here is what it was starting to look like after a lot of work many years ago.  The body was in bad shape.  I had to relocate the front wheel openings in the new glass front end to accommodate the longer wheelbase.  I made the brackets so the front end would slide forward and then hinged up.    Lots of bondo but most of it on the shop floor.  The paint held up well.  I made molds and made the rocker panels from fiberglass.  I also made a mold and made the headlight out of fiberglass.  It would be difficult for me to do all that today.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

jaybee

Oof, really sorry to see that, glad Hooley is OK. That's a mess and would have been one crazy ride.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.