Temp guage problem

Started by trackster, October 04, 2004, 12:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

My A pickup w/sbc has been sitting for a few months while some other work was being done. I started it yesterday to get ready fo a show today and noticed the temp guage needle was all the way on the right, pegged on the hot side.  This was before the engine was started and it stayed that way today even though it was driven 70 miles.  It was working fine the last time out.  It's a Stewart Warner setup. Any thoughts on a possible cause and where I should start looking?  And, no, it didn't overheat!!     Thanks.  Gary
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

unklian

Electric or mechanical gauge ?

trackster

Quote from: "unklian"Electric or mechanical gauge ?

Electric. Sorry, I forgot to mention it.  Gary

GPster

Might follow the wire from the sender to the gauge . If it has worn a bare place and is touching a ground source I think that would peg the gauge. If your sender is bad and is shorted to ground that would do it to. If the gauge itself was shorted it would act the same way.  It has a grounded case so an internal light would work. I think because the gauge is pegged it is an indication of a short to ground and if it was on the power side it would probably produce smoke and take out a fuse. If the sender is the problem then just disconnecting the wire should let the gauge drop down. Of course I make more sense after 8:00 and about 1 pot of coffee. GPster

trackster

GPster, Thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking , but it never hurts to get another opinion.  I'm hoping to have time to check it out tomorrow.  I'll let you know when  I find the problem.  Thanks again. Gary

trackster

Found a bare spot in the wire from sender to gauge.  Oops!!  :oops: