Power steering woes

Started by WZ JUNK, May 20, 2020, 05:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Thanks for the input.

We test drove again this afternoon.  I stopped and checked the temperature at the pump with and infrared thermometer.  Generally the temperature increases when you drive on a long straight section of road.  I am starting to think I may have to much pressure and  when you are in this situation the relief is opening more and generating the heat.(As I have been told in the replies to the post)

For comparison I checked my 54 Chevy that uses this same pump.  It operates at a much lower temperature.

So, I am ordering the shim kit and I will try to find out what psi this Ranger pump should have. The instructions for the shim kit give you an idea of how many shims to add to change the pump pressure.  I will do a little searching.  It may be the weekend before I get the kit.

Since it takes several minuets to generate the heat, I could still go to test and tune at the drag strip.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/ This post dwells on incresing the pressure, but you can lower the pressure by going the other way on shimming it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/ This post dwells on incresing the pressure, but you can lower the pressure by going the other way on shimming it.

Thanks Frank,  good stuff.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

lofat46

If regulating the pressure doesn't lower the temperature, the '91 thru '96 9C1 Chevy Caprice (and maybe the '94-'96 Impala SS) police pkg had a small power steering cooler. Looked like a mini trans cooler. I'm sure other cars had them as well, I just know about the police package cars from my days of driving them.

WZ JUNK

Frank, I remember that you told me to use the valve assembly from a Chrysler products K car in my 54 Chevy.  It used the original pump from the donor Caprice and the Mustang II rack.  This has worked well for this application.  I bet finding a K car in a salvage would be a challenge these days.

Today I will try to find the specifications for the original Ranger power steering pump.  When the kit comes to change the pressure, I will have an idea of what washers to use, or at least a place to start.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

GPster

Do any of these problems come from a difference in the pulley sizes from the original application? Maybe the crankshaft pulley sizes were different? Can the output of the pump be lowered by using a pulley that is a larger diameter? That would spin it to a lower shaft  RPM. GPster

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "GPster"Do any of these problems come from a difference in the pulley sizes from the original application? Maybe the crankshaft pulley sizes were different? Can the output of the pump be lowered by using a pulley that is a larger diameter? That would spin it to a lower shaft  RPM. GPster

Joe, I suppose something could be going on with the pulley size but the simple explanation (the way I understand it ) is that these pumps make more pressure and flow than you need.  When you make to much or to little, then you have problems.  I am going to try resolving the problem by changing the way the pressure and flow is regulated.  My problem is that the pump and the steering box and mismatched, Ford and GM, mini truck, and full size car.  We will see how this all plays out in a few days.

Bill, That link and picture is what I am changing.  I will modify mine internally with shims.  I will be able to change mine if I am making to much or to little pressure and flow.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

I reduced the pressure in the system today by shimming the valve body.  The steering is a little stiffer but okay.  The fluid temperature is still high.  I am going to check the temperature of my daily driver and the 54 under similar conditions and see what temperature they operate at.  I may ad a cooler but something is causing this high temperature and I should not have to ad a cooler on this vehicle.

The fan exhaust on the radiator is blowing right into this area,  Maybe something is happening because of that hot air.  I might make a temporary deflector and see if that has an effect.  I really doubt this might be the problem.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"There's some temp info in this article: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1112-power-steering-coolers/

Good information, thanks

I have the thought that my trouble seemed to start when I installed the hood.  Maybe the hood has caused the temperature increase.  So today, I will remove the hood and go for a drive.  

Regardless, I imagine I will try a cooler.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck