Power steering woes

Started by WZ JUNK, May 20, 2020, 05:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I used a GM power steering pump on my 460 engine.  It works great and it is quiet for about 45 minuets of driving.  Then you can here it making the typical noise that pumps like these make when they have some air in them.  Then the steering gets harder to turn and today the fluid burped out of the reservoir.   I have never had this happen before.  I wonder what is going on?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

I had a friend that had a Chrysler Cirrus and the PS started making noises. We had to suck out the old fluid, then refill and turn lock to lock. It worked for her car.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I had fluid puke out of the 72. I ended up replacing the r&p and vacuuming the system before I was finished. I had installed a new pump 1st but that wasn't the culprit.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I believe you have the fluid overheating from bypassing too much. you can install a flow control valve in the pressure line, it can be as simple as ball valve that you can partly close to restrict the flow, or it might be as simple as installing a power steering fluid cooler in the return line. Many of the newer Ford trucks use one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

I have an extra pump, so I think I will change it out today.  We will see how this all plays out.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

Might , maybe plug in a small transmission cooler on the return line.  See if results are good , better, same?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

I drained the fluid today and it has a color that makes me think it might have water in it.  I will let it set tonight and see if any water separates.   I am tempted to flush the system, add the filter, and new fluid, then see if it heats again.  I can monitor the temperature by stopping occasionally and using my infrared thermometer.

Before I bought this truck it had set out in the weather for a period of maybe years with the lines open. I thought I flushed it good before I hooked up the lines, but I could easily have not got all the dirt and water out.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

I flushed the system, and added the filter.  The fluid still has a little color to it.  I also added a chemical to the power steering fluid that a friend of mine sells for power steering.  A mechanic in a can. The temperature is staying with in range and so far it has been quiet.  Time will tell.

As a side note, and unrelated to the power steering,  the vacuum secondaries are working now
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

As a side note, and unrelated to the power steering,  the vacuum secondaries are working now

Can you get into Mokan for a few whatshedo runs?
George

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

Can you get into Mokan for a few whatshedo runs?

I think we are going Friday night for test and tune.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

We went for a test run today.  After 12 miles of average driving the pump started to sing and the temperature of fluid was increasing to over 200 degrees.  

Tomorrow I will change the pump and flush out the system again.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

Not a lot of improvement in the situation.  Even after changing the pump out, I still have high fluid temperature.

I am starting to wonder about the pressure being to much but I really thought that the pump I am using would be comparable to the pressure of the Ford pump.  I may end up using a Ford pump after all.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Bruce Dorsi

John:  Is it too much pressure or possibly too much flow?

If a lot of fluid is going thru a relief valve it tends to increase the temp considerably.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

phat46

What was the old trick about reducing the pressure on a G.M. pump to use with a Ford? Wasn't there a spring in the pump you stretched out? I think there was also a pressure reducing piece you could add. I did it in my '46 with a stock Must II rack but that was over 25 years ago....😕