Cleaning a valve body

Started by junkyardjeff, May 10, 2020, 11:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I picked up a unknown condition Ford C-4 to get the shift arm it had,I was also hoping to use the valve body to see if the one I have has a issue but after removing the pan I found over 1/8 deep metallic sludge with chunks so I presume some got in the valve body so is there a way to clean it without taking it apart.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I picked up a unknown condition Ford C-4 to get the shift arm it had,I was also hoping to use the valve body to see if the one I have has a issue but after removing the pan I found over 1/8 deep metallic sludge with chunks so I presume some got in the valve body so is there a way to clean it without taking it apart.

No , there is not.  Do not take the v-body fully apart to clean. Valves and springs all install in one spot, one direction , to function correctly.

You can dunk the v-body into a pan of cleaner.. All that does is loosen up the crud that is sitting in nooks and cranys , then spread it around.

The debris will get inside, every where. Very common.  I suggest some magnets in the bottom of the pan once you get stuff cleaned out.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

junkyardjeff

The trans it came from is just for parts but will talk to a trans shop about going through it since I have no clue on working on one,I would like to have it checked out and use to diagnose possible valve body issues in other trans.

Crosley.In.AZ

Purty much the same answers you received on the HAMB .
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Back in the late 70's I rebuilt a TH400 and used a brand name full shift kit. It all worked out great except when the tranny got warm....about 3 or 4 miles away it refused to up shift out of low gear. I'd get it home. let it cool down and test it again and it worked fine, until it got warm. I pulled the valve body and found that the aftermarket pistons/plungers, whatever they are called, were slightly oversized. I didn't have any way to turn them down a couple 10ths or so.

I took the valve body from another tranny,cleaned and moved the balls and springs, etc and it worked fine from then on. Never bought another aftermarket shift kit.

Way before the internet so I did what I could afford to do at the time abd got lucky.

Listen to Tony....he's the man when it comes to automatics.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I have a C6 here that was rebuilt about 16 years ago and never used. You think it will still be okay to use without checking it over? It's been wrapped up in dry storage.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkyardjeff

I got what is supposed to be a good C-4 that is almost ready to go in but was hoping I could use this valve body from the parts trans to see if it would fix the present trans sometime manually shifting issue its always had even after being rebuilt.  As soon as I get a filter/gasket set and plenty of trans fluid the good used trans will be going in soon.

58 Yeoman

Many, many, many years ago, I had a 66 Mustang with a bad transmission. Instead of rebuilding it, I bought one from JCWhitney (GASP!) and put it in. It wouldn't shift right. They didn't install the rod for the vacuum modulator. Put in the old one, and it ran fine. Can you imagine that?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil