whats your bottom dollar

Started by chimp koose, January 27, 2020, 08:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I am selling the S/G roadster chassis I fixed a while ago . I have a price listed with OBO  . A guy came to look at the car yesterday and texts me today with the 'whats your bottom dollar ' question. I just told him to make a cash offer . I have had this question asked before from a guy about the front engine dragster chassis I was selling a few years back,with the "ill get back to you " that never happened . I suspect my bottom dollar price then was shared to others while the car was still for sale . I dont want to seem like I am playing games but is it so wrong to expect a best offer and accept or reject it ? Have I mentioned that I rarely sell stuff as I really dont like the process ? Am I being rude ?

enjenjo

No. I always tell them to show up with cash and start laying it down. If they have enough I'll take it, otherwise they can go home.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

I like Frank's solution. OBO might be old school and asking to be asked the question. Instead of ever saying that, relisting with reduced price as your mental number erodes over time seems to be the norm. In a digital format, that is. But I never sell or buy anything anymore. I wondered the price range on a relative's car today and asked a couple guys about it and I was in line with their off the top of the head numbers. I consider myself out of touch but them's my thoughts.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not like the process either when I am offered less than 50% of my asking price.  It is insulting in my opinion.

Even at swap meets now, it can be a pain in the back side.

When asked for ny bottom dollar ... I never give that out.  Always a higher number still with wiggle room.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I guess thats my point . OBO means shoot me what you think is fair, if its a price we can both live with we both are happy. I used to just name my price and stay put but these days you are looked at as some kind of unreasonable sob for doing it that way. That stick to it price WAS my bottom dollar and avoided the * conflict. I had my Anglia listed for sale on kijiji many years ago and got almost hate mail from a guy who ridiculed me for asking so much $ . He only had the 1 picture to look at and obviously didnt read much of the ad . I got most of my asking price and thought about letting the guy know but then thought better . Why stoop to that level.

WZ JUNK

Buying and selling is a social process.  You might think of it as a game.  I have done my share of buying and selling.  I even worked selling at a new car dealer once.  Never confuse the process with making friends though.  Just follow the process, make offers,....  The best scenario is that in the end, the seller feels that he got all that could, and the buyer feels that he made a good buy.  

You may not like the way it is done, but it is just the natural method of buying and selling, and it has been going on for a long time.  It probably started with two cave men trading sticks for rocks.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I think this has changed with time. I get hit with the bottom dollar a lot. I never know if that person is a buyer or a butt head. All the stuff I've sold in the last 5 years went for less than desired. There's not always a buyer so I have to decide if I really want to sell or I'm going to keep it. I'm a good buyer and terrible seller. When I'm done with something, I think the value is less than what it could be. Because I live in the boonies, transportation and lack of buyers is always a factor.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

My answer back to the bottom dollar question is unfailingly, make me an offer, period. It has been my experience that giving them a number generally just gives them another number to offer less than. I won't play that game, in person or on line - it's a dead end.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58 Yeoman

I had an item on ebay for $75; same item used selling for $88 to $133. Mine was new in the box, but the box was shot, so I put it up as open box. Today, a guy offers me $50, I countered with $65. He came back with $53.25 (I kid you not). I passed, and told him what used ones were selling for. Ten minutes later, someone else buys it for full price. I hope he's kicking himself for not buying it for $65.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

my guy texted me back today , he is trying to round up a partner to split the costs with , will get back to me in a week . I thought that was nice of him to keep me updated . At least he isnt offering 2 goats and a quad for trade  :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"my guy texted me back today , he is trying to round up a partner to split the costs with , will get back to me in a week . I thought that was nice of him to keep me updated . At least he isnt offering 2 goats and a quad for trade  :lol:

Would you take three goats and seven pounds of frozen shrimp?

chimp koose

could you throw in a ferrel cat-?

Bruce Dorsi

My uncle's response was always, "If I wanted less, I would have asked for less. - What's your offer?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

kb426

I just received an inquiry on the little Honda I'm trying to sell: what is your bottom dollar? LOL
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"could you throw in a ferrel cat-?

Yes, in a canvas bag.