What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I realize it's only one wheel but it went way farther than I would have ever guessed. I took off at 900 rpm and floored it. Went all the way to the shift point in 1st and spun aways in 2nd. Plenty of tire smoke, no video. :) Play time is over. Back to work, now. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I started the engine work on the 460/Ranger project.  The engine is new but I am installing a Lunati cam, lifters and springs, aluminum intake, 750 Holley. The transmission is ready with a shift kit and a higher stall convertor.  I am making progress but I have been taken away from this project a lot.  I guess it will get done when it gets done.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Finally got a bike trip in, my brother and I went to northern Mi for a ride, it rained,  a lot, the day before we got there. The good news was that the sand was never ce and tacky, the bad news was there was a lot of water on thee trails.

enjenjo

Doing a bit of shop cleanup today. I found tools I haven't seen in a year, Gasp! :shock:  I still have not found at least one 10mm socket, but I am not done. I did find both 6" machinist rules, I think it's be 10 years since I held them both in my hand at the same time. I have the scrap trailer loaded with about a ton of stuff, shred, hopefully they pay me at least gas money. Dug out the rear housing straightening tools, and decided some of it was too makeshift, so I am putting the I beam on wheels so it's easier to move around, I am getting too old to manhandle it. I have to check the bar to make sure it's still straight too. It's been leaning against the wall since GPster cleaned it up a few years ago.

I had to buy a new screwdriver yesterday, she who must be obeyed needed some electronics fixed, and to remove the screws I needed a tri-drive screwdriver. Never saw one before, but the local hardware had it for only $2.49.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I had to buy a new screwdriver yesterday, she who must be obeyed needed some electronics fixed, and to remove the screws I needed a tri-drive screwdriver. Never saw one before, but the local hardware had it for only $2.49.

VW used bolts heads called : Tri square  or Triple Square...  I learned that when we owned the VW Jetta and I performed various maintenance items on it.

Sold the VW and sold the tools too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

416Ford

Quote from: "enjenjo"Doing a bit of shop cleanup today. I found tools I haven't seen in a year, Gasp! :shock:

I hope I am not to blame for your clean up but you really should find some of those sockets.   :)  You paid for them, you might as well use them.   :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Dug out the rear housing straightening tools, and decided some of it was too makeshift, so I am putting the I beam on wheels so it's easier to move around, I am getting too old to manhandle it. I have to check the bar to make sure it's still straight too. It's been leaning against the wall since GPster cleaned it up a few years ago.
So if it's bent it's my fault? I don't remember being in that corner! GPster

58 Yeoman

I replaced the fuel sending unit on the 58 Chevy. Again. It hasn't been in more than a year or two. I ordered a new repro off ebay with a 10 year guarantee this time. The brass float cracked in two places, plus the float holder seemed to puncture a hole in the middle. I'm going to try and solder it, but it may be a lost cause.

I also replaced the "S" trim around the left tail light. It was slightly crunched when I put the car together in the early 90's. I've had a better one for years, but got it after the car was done. Wagons take a different one than BelAirs and Impala's. I had polished this one up last week in preparation. Looks much better.

Also got new dash trim, Impala style. When I did the car, I had all the original aluminum trim, but the design was worn off. I put on silver metalflake tape which looked better. Now, they have rigid aluminum inserts with the original pattern embossed on. The older way was to use mylar tape with the correct pattern, but I guess it wrinkled easily. I'll see how this goes.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

I fixed my Troy Bilt weed whacker today. It never ran right from day one, which was about 5-6 years ago. It would bog and not take full throttle ever. It had hung on the garage wall for the last several years after I bought a good cordless electric one that I love. I needed this one to take to deer camp in a couple days to clear a years worth of waist high weeds on about a half acre. Anyway, I got it started, which was a surprise, and it ran crappy, would only run on half choke, obviously it is a carb issue. The adjustment screws are down in a well, and are special screws that take a driver called the PAC Man driver for its shape. The hack is to drill into the screw head and jam a small straight screwdriver into the soft metal to turn it. I turned one screw 1/4 turn and it runs perfect....took longer to type this than to fix it....🙄

chimp koose

started back to work on my 65 merc 1/2 ton . put the rad back in and cobbled up a mount for the trans cooler , was standard now c4 auto. made hoses to fit , hooked up a shifter . Still need to shorten the driveshaft and make exhaust , install new brake hoses and fill the diff .

kb426

I've been setting concrete forms in the front yard. I took a little road trip yesterday to Pamp Tx. Small car show and a concert by a Beach Boys cover band. I'm back in the yard as soon as the 51 is cleaned up. Most of the front is yellow from grass hoppers.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

If it cools off here.....  I will be in the irrigation lawn sprinkler work.  About 3 weeks ago:  I discovered a non working valve out back ( 9 valves total) ,, then I see more valves are leaking between the valve body and top that is held on with 6 screws.  I have replaced tops on them once or twice.  Just this AM...  I see another valve has gone bad....  they are near 16 yrs olde.. can not really complain, but I do

So....  New valves ( 6 ) in this one area.  Must dig up the valve boxes since the valves are under ground.  Of course it will be muddy. Move the rocks first, then dig

Replaced 3 sprinkler pop up heads this morning.  I am sorta glad I will be moving next year.  Next place will have raw basic landscape.  Little to no yard work from me any longer.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"I am sorta glad I will be moving next year.  Next place will have raw basic landscape.  Little to no yard work from me any longer.
Moving to your retirement property? Up by Flagstaff if I remember correctly?
George

idrivejunk

Mowed until it started sprinkling. Hooked the scan tool up on the GT because at one point week before last, the check engine light came on for a brief time. Hasn't been back. Car has had a faulty coolant level sensor most of the time I've had it and theres no airbags in it so those lights are always on. Well, the coolant one flickers depending on driver mood. But there was a short time around the same time... when the left turn signal indicator and cruise control were inop. She had a P0650 MIL control circuit stored. I laughed and left it there and went inside. Don't let anybody tell you they don't fuss if you neglect them. :roll:
Matt