What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Months ago, I traded the 9" rear from the 72 for a 1988 chassis that had been rolled over. The cab was destroyed and the bed was gone. I had connected a battery to it and was unsuccessful at making it run. The tanks were full of toxic waste and rust. I removed the tanks and drained them and let it sit. Today was the day. I borrowed a battery from a friend and went to work. I had used a gallon thinner can for a fuel tank. This has a transfer pump and a high pressure pump on it. I installed the transfer pump in the can and connected the lines after back flushing all the fuel system. Biggest mess of mountain dew I ever saw. :) After connecting the wiring harness and steering column, nothing happened. The 1st problem I ran into was the relays for the ecu and fuel pumps had rusted up and were non-functional. Next, the transfer pump didn't work. I bypassed the wiring to the pumps and connected a 12v pump to feed the high pressure pump. That mess I ran with a battery charger. The relays were an strange pin layout so I couldn't swap them out with others. I was able to bypass the ecu one and get power to the rest of the system. No fire. I had 12 volts at the coil so I started looking at other areas. Didn't find any missing grounds so I pulled the distributor cap. It had some oil in it??? I wondered if that happened when the truck was upside down in the ditch. I pulled the distributor and got my spare which had no gear. I had a cam position sensor left over from the 32's engine that had the correct gear. I used a puller to remove the gear and installed it on the spare distributor. I stuck it in and was rewarded with ignition. The engine ran a little and a squealing noise began. I shut it off and found the egr pump seized up. I removed the belt and found a shorter one in the used collection that allowed everything to work. It had to run a while to get all the old fuel out and fresh fuel in it. There was no smoke that came out of the exhaust. I'm going to run a compression test before I make a decision of how to proceed. It's now 5 oclock here! :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Hey Guys ...I was bouncing around on U-Tube ....

Lookit what I found ...Great Tunes too  :!:  8)

Bob.. :wink:

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I spent most of the day at an estate sale 30 miles from me. The person was a friend. Not close but we had common interests and enjoyed seeing each other. He did very good hot rods. He also was a collector. Tons, literally of parts and tools. I noticed that the highest bidder number was a little over 300. Very few car people. Mostly swap meeters restocking. I bid on some tools and some of his cars. I came home with all my money. :) I probably got lucky. There was 5 serious car guys there besides me. Some upper 20's guys bought a fair amount of stuff. If the tshirts are an indicator, they will be the upcoming builders. While I was watching, a thought kept recurring in my mind: if you don't need it, it probably isn't a bargain. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

Finished a painting yesterday, an exercise in grey scale.

kb426

TEAM SMART

purplepickup

That bike really stands out Joe...amost 3D looking.  Nice!
George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"That bike really stands out Joe...amost 3D looking.  Nice!

Thanks George, the background was actually the hardest part for me, but I do like how it turned out.

chimp koose

Crosley.In.AZ

Yep...  the recent paintings look goood.  The b&w does have a 3D look to it.

I spent some time sorting thru shelves and closet stuff that I tend to hoard. Lots of stuff into the trash.  Stuff that a person would wonder :  "why did I keep this for X number of years."

Back to work monday for me....  it was a needed week away from work.   Cleared the head out a little bit.  LOL  Plus this past week there were a few days of 113* to 115* F  heat.  That would have been a bit warm at the shop at work under the swamp coolers.  Although:  It will not be that much cooler this coming week.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Nice action effect and contrast on the bike painting. I really liked where the one with coupe by garage door was heading. Yellow can be a tough color to paint but I like that picture a lot.

Here today... oh... started to mow, got rained out five minutes in. Sun peeked out after the shower so raised deck and finished. Then I needed another shower. Then chores, etc. Time to putt around with the 455 for a little while then sack out. Bet that fender brace is still on my workbench. Oh, the horror!  :lol:
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Nice action effect and contrast on the bike painting. I really liked where the one with coupe by garage door was heading. Yellow can be a tough color to paint but I like that picture a lot.

Here today... oh... started to mow, got rained out five minutes in. Sun peeked out after the shower so raised deck and finished. Then I needed another shower. Then chores, etc. Time to putt around with the 455 for a little while then sack out. Bet that fender brace is still on my workbench. Oh, the horror!  :lol:

Yes the yellow is difficult. Especially trying to fade the hue from light to dark. I tried mixing with the complimentary color, but it mostly makes mud. I did however figure out to use the transparency of the color to my advantage. If I were to do it over the shading would be done in the underpainting and use as many layers of yellow needed to get it right. Teacher and student, always learning.😃

chimp koose

first day back to work after summer break today. Did not get a chance to work on the T all summer .  :(

kb426

I spent part of the last 2 days removing concrete sidewalks from the front yard. They were sawed into 5' lengths. I borrowed a forklift  and moved then around. We have 4' trash dumpsters in my part of the world. The truck driver has a tendency to dig a hole when sliding the can back where it belongs. One of the pieces is under the can now. One became a step for my wife's storage building. I used the forklift to raise one end on her shed that had settled some. It has blocks under it and is way better. No more self opening door. :) I used the forklift to turn the 88 chassis 180 degrees so it will be easier to remove the engine and trans. There has been an oil leak on the dr650 that I ride all summer. I thought the cylinder base gasket was the problem. By accident, I discovered that the cam chain tensioner was the source. It should have been a simple job but with the engine and exhaust in place, it turned into almost 2 hours. I have ridden it some and there isn't any oil anywhere. I hope you all have a great weekend. For most of us, this marks the end of summer. A sad day for me. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Friday evening:  killed 9 scorpions tonight.

Saw a snake in the bushes at the front of the house wednesday evening. Likely a King snake.  I have seen a few around here over the years. Non poisonous.

I did not mention the sighting of the  snake to my wife.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

I have been unable to post to the rrt but it looks like I am able to post now.

We just returned from a quick trip to the Canadian Rockies.  Very scenic and interesting. The night sky in remote areas takes your breath away.

I am working on the Ranger/460 project but various other distractions have slowed this project.  This seems to be a common theme.  The engine mounts and transmission mount are finished.  The Explorer rear end assembly is in place but I need to make the shock mounts and the Cal Trac like traction bars. My widened rear wheels are done.

This week I will order the cam kit and springs, drag radials, and the radiator.  My transmission was built while we gone to Canada and it should be ready for pickup.

So things are progressing.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH