What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Spent the last two days at Josh's house building a new deck. It came out pretty nice. The hardest part was setting the posts, there were electrical wires in each post hole location. No damage done, but we were lucky on the first one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Changed the plugs and oil in the 72. The drain plug was stripped but the nut in the pan was still good. Got real lucky on that one.  Getting real close to the end. :) I changed a couple of tires on some wheels left over from the 96 mustang. I installed the 2 that came off the front of the 51 on them. I now have 2 spares that aren't 10 years old. :) They won't fit on half the stuff I own because of the back space on the wheels. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

pulled the pumpkin out of the 65 merc and the other 9" i have as i am swapping them. Looks like i will have to shorten the driveshaft about 2" as i am using the one from the donor truck to match the transmission . Going from 4 speed to auto . Going from 3.70:1 to 3.00:1

chimp koose

And going back to the 3.70:1 diff as I found that I have a 28 spline and a 31 spline carrier . The interweb and a good friend all said that axles with the 2 holes drilled in the end were 31 spline . I can tell you that is not true . If I were thinking I could have pulled an axle from each and compared them , saving me tearing them both apart , but I AM a team smart member and had to demonstrate how we get it done . I have mostly finished converting my 3 on the tree to auto shifter using stuff from my junk pile .

Crosley.In.AZ

By tuesday mid morning this week... 3 people commented to me about my retirement date. I do not have a hard date in mind. I do not see retirement working well for me. :lol:

One of the 3 people was the owner of the bizness. We had a chat for several minutes.  Him telling me stories about his dad's retirement for health reasons.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

lofat46

Quote from: "Crosley"By tuesday mid morning this week... 3 people commented to me about my retirement date. I do not have a hard date in mind. I do not see retirement working well for me. :lol:

One of the 3 people was the owner of the bizness. We had a chat for several minutes.  Him telling me stories about his dad's retirement for health reasons.

In February 2018 my boss asked me the same question.  I told him I had no set date to retire. He told me, there was no hurry, but when I decided to go I would get 6 months severance. I was 67 at the time. In early May I had to miss a conference the company was putting on due to some complications from a routine gall bladder surgery.  When I returned to work in mid-May I was told my hours were being cut to two days a week and going from salaried to hourly.  I asked if the boss's offer of 6 months severance was still on the table and it was.  My last day was July 1, 2018. I felt I was forced to make a decision I wasn't ready to make.  From my experience it sounds like your company is feeling you out to see when they can hire someone else.  I hope that's not the case for you, but I've heard too many stories about older workers "positions being eliminated".  It sucks not being able to "go out on your own terms".

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "lofat46"In February 2018 my boss asked me the same question.  I told him I had no set date to retire. He told me, there was no hurry, but when I decided to go I would get 6 months severance. I was 67 at the time. In early May I had to miss a conference the company was putting on due to some complications from a routine gall bladder surgery.  When I returned to work in mid-May I was told my hours were being cut to two days a week and going from salaried to hourly.  I asked if the boss's offer of 6 months severance was still on the table and it was.  My last day was July 1, 2018. I felt I was forced to make a decision I wasn't ready to make.  From my experience it sounds like your company is feeling you out to see when they can hire someone else.  I hope that's not the case for you, but I've heard too many stories about older workers "positions being eliminated".  It sucks not being able to "go out on your own terms".

Severance package?  

What keeps me in favor with the owner at the shop is my work ethic ...  I keep at a low 1% or less failure rate.  And:

Couple weeks ago:  Lunch starts at 11:45am ... about 11:37 the owner walks in the back door. The other guys in my dept were gone to lunch already or sitting down & starting to eat.  I was at my bench working on a transmission. He walks up to me offers his hand.  We shake hands, he says "good morning"... smiles, walks off.  It was his way of thanking me for working when I should be.

With in 3 days after I retire and leave the shop with 21 yrs service: A phrase you will hear:  Tony Who?
Tony

enjenjo

I retired in 2004. My old boss moved on to another company shortly after I retired. I got his new phone number, and every now and then I call him, and say " This is Frank, I won't be in today" and hang up. :D

phat46

I retired in 2008, at age 55 after 32 years at a steel rule die shop. I was one of three guys that had been there long enough to be fully vested in our 401K at 55, they later raised that to 59 1/2. They offered me a buyout, and got us financial advise on what to do with our 401's. They were really just being nice to us O G's, the writing had been on the wall for years, the only reason we were still producing dies was that a couple higher ups at some of the suppliers for the big 3 insisted their dies had to be made at our shop instead of the junk coming out of Mexico. Once those guys aged out we were doomed. Two of us took the buyout and left, one guy stayed on....three months later they closed the shop. I am very happy that I did it, my brother and I started a handyman business and are as busy as we want to be. Life is great! 😀

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"but I AM a team smart member and had to demonstrate how we get it done .

Kudos  :!:  :!:  :!:   We hold our glasses high in honor ...OOPS..Slips..    :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :roll:  :roll:  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I built a Moser 9" rear with a Pro 9" Nodular housing, billet aluminum pinion support and a 3.70 Pro gear set and a 35 spline spool today. None of the parts will interchange with actual Ford parts, all the bearings are gigantic. I had to make up a larger bearing adjuster wrench, and needed a larger tube to press the pinion bearings on. This old man learned some new things today.

kb426

I went to Scott City today for their 40th car show. The count was real close to 200. They've enjoyed growth over the last 4 years. It used to be a good year was 120. I'm a casual friend of the  owner of Big Creek Restoration. He had one of his latest projects at the show, delivering it to the owner who had yet to see it finished. This is a Chevette that was her high school car. It never left her town and years later she bought it back in poor condition. It ends up at Mike's shop where it gets a 2015 Cadillac turbo 4 cyl and 6 speed auto. It is detuned to 294 hp at the rear wheels. They started out at 27 lbs of boost at around 400 rear wheel hp. It was a spook. Small tires and lack of good rear suspension. The car is painted in the original color layout. The intercooler is hiding behind the grille and it has Vintage Air hiding on the firewall under covers that conceal all the ac and ecu. He tells me that it weighs 1750 lbs. That surprised me. I got to see friends that I haven't seen in a few years. The weather was good and the 72 made it home in one piece.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Tried our hands at smoking brisket...  near 8 hours of slow cooking.  Turned out OK.. not great for first time.  Little dry, good flavor. This was a budget piece of meat from WinCo.  Friends tell me to get a better quality chunk.

We smoked a Tri-tip chunk of meat too.  Came out great.  juicy, good flavor.

Friday evening 8-16-2019 ... killed 3 scorpions in the yard.  We had 2 baby scorpions in the house earlier in the week.

Last; If y'all my have forgotten.  August 16, 2019 was the 42nd anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.
Tony

enjenjo

Tony, you might PM Fatcat. He is very good at smoking meat and has been doing it for some time. He can give you some tips.

idrivejunk

Today I put the engine mount I took out of my DD 75 or 80 K ago... back in. The replacement one was in bleeding smithereens. I have been doing the raw egg on gas pedal thing a few weeks. Because thump thump thump

Picture:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--d9ZP0liUjA/XVnNlV0odYI/AAAAAAAAIFo/IAUkRpfwG0Aobt2YPisU8EDuY_kcv9hkwCLcBGAs/s1600/20190818_160112.jpg
Matt