Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I was surprised at the comment about the ribs. What did he think would take the flop out of a big piece of sheetmetal? People have been using ribbed station wagon tops forever. :)

I thought it was odd myself. That guy wanted smooth, I reckon. I am class of '84 and if I were asked what was "in" then, my answer is fiberglass. :?

Got the visor where I want it but I'll need to create a flowing radius where it turns down at the pillar. I believe it sits farther back than stock. I put the back tip of the visor's indent in vertical line with front of windshield post and ran the profile-viewed bottom of the sides of the visor parallel to the drip rail. Welding in progress.  :arrow:

Matt

chimp koose

IDJ , considering the type of build you are doing I think the ribs are one more modern touch added to the others that fit the style of build . I think the old upholstered filler in the roof might look a bit out of place when you see all the other mods like the flush mount doors , hidden hinges, widened ,tucked, bobbed fenders , frenched tail lights , etc. Style wise, if you hide the hinges it looks more natural with a filled roof as well .  8)

idrivejunk

I don't have a preference myself, really. Just do whats in my stall. What they want, they get. Guy who commented probably thought it was my car. I always am sure to say it isn't but so few people look at the words. For all I know, the hood sides and Army paint will have geezers pitching rotten tomatoes at the thing. :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Every day. :)

I reinforced the windshield opening on top and sides (forgot to weld to pillars yet) and started cleaning up and fitting the pan. I needed to turn my plug weld strip around but it was quittin time.

Matt

chris spokes

coming along nicely there Matt  8)
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chris spokes"coming along nicely there Matt  8)

Thank you sir.  8)

Got these welded to the pillars. No style points here-

Same here. Scrap heap grabs as weld flanges on the seat braces-

Out past the ends of the flange strip, some little kickup fillers will connect tub to pan. That will be where the gas pocket rain drain exits.

Pan has epoxy on it now, this is prepped-

Underside of floor rails will get brushed epoxy.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Am I correct in thinking the owner drove the car in the condition that it arrived at the shop? It would be nice to hear back to back comparisons from a knowledgeable Model A owner. If I ever grow up and get successful, I'm going to have a shop with 12' sidewalls and a 2 post lift. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

He was driving it. One visit, he brought a friend who had ridden in it with him. When asked how it was, they looked at one another with big eyes and he said "It... had some death wobble.". They erupted in laughter but while keeping that yeah it was scary face. It was probably the apple green wheels if you ask me, they clashed heavily. :lol:

He may not be up to snuff on prewar Fords, it was his Dad's car. Well at least a percentage of the sheetmetal was. When I showed him a 1959 mid engine Corvette prototype, he knew what that was though. His '20 mid-engine Corvette will be coming off the assembly line next month I think it was. Best of all, he was in today and was mighty pleased and I believe I get to follow on through now. He sold his GN.

Them twin posts are nice but not always what you need for bodywork. I bet you would be on cloud nine with one, seeing the type of work you do. We certainly rely on our three most every day. Takes minutes (seems like hours) to let a bare body down and lock release cable on the long side seems high maintainence, if I were to make critical observations. We sure could not hose floors like we do with a single post.
Matt

idrivejunk

Mike reset the engine, back about another inch and a half. I took out the firewall.

While he was there, I asked if he would like to straighten out the trans xmember, it was tacked in crooked.

When I cut tacks, the rails spread out a quarter inch. No explanation found.

Body mount holes were now invalid and the body sits down on the output yoke.

I removed the middle section of front floor brace and trimmed pan enough to set it down, and also slotted firewall for brake pedal and cut the front body mount tabs off.

Mike says grille shell can go back where I had it and now theres radiator clearance.

Looks to me like the body needs to move forward, based on axle location.

To get body mount holes again after the rails spread out, I made a pattern from the frame.

Transferred to body and burred holes in the bottom wall of floor rail tubes only.

Thats where I left off, and I can see holes through holes again now.

Yes, this was the only way I found to lift it-

Matt

idrivejunk

To me, based on axle position ( compare to yesterday's similar picture ), the body needed to move forward a little. Had Mike eyeball while I nailed it down.

I moved the body  3/4" forward-

Engine sits here now-

So now theres this-

Then these-

...and these. Path of least resistance gets the nod-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt