Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Heres one half of the lid shell, shaved-

Other side in progress. These show the cuts before flattening and the big gaps to weld-

Note that snazzy hole filling technique. Ran outta wire, didn't finish. Theres this flat spot near the hinge pad on this side-

Then the rumble handle area-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

The blue on the truck is very nice  8)  .

idrivejunk

Had to upset the body line match at right qtr to window panel to get it to sit right but everything I see, I can work with. Trimmed bottom rear corners of skin and have tenatively marked a new bottom edge. Hits the tail panel now but is latched in pics.

Heres Longhair's progress on that wagon's long skinny over the drip rail patch-

Matt

idrivejunk

Moved lid forward

Reconstructing foldover at rear to match

Matt

idrivejunk

Throwing out rough ideas on paper here :arrow:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:

If you have any advice or styling input, I am all ears plus eyes. Just remember, I don't remember the 1950s nor does the car's owner.

This is how I envision what Mike tried nobly to explain to me about fenders, regardless of length:

This was my first thought for round signal lamp location, up front:

Amber LED strips could go here:

These would be invisible until lit, bedded flush and painted over seamlessly:

I submit these ideas, not the illustrations (they are crude tools only, I traced) for your critique / questions & comments, or dismissal. Only the rear sheetmetal image is currently relevant. And how!
Matt

idrivejunk

Heres an approximation of such, from the angle where your rod will mostly see it. Not for long and not this big though.  :0-0  ~:)

Matt

416Ford

My $.02 says the fenders are too wide for the car in that design, looks more like a NHRA Funny car.
What size are the rear tires?
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "416Ford"My $.02 says the fenders are too wide for the car in that design, looks more like a NHRA Funny car.
What size are the rear tires?

Nobody knows tire size, and no one is willing to do a proper photo edit. I need to build the rear of the body now but don't know what to build. The fenders in the edit are approximate guesses taken from another pic at a different angle. I am trying to see what people think of the basic construction, this is not a contest-ready work of art nor is it an exact blueprint. I will have to build the car first to get the picture required, I guess. This is what I get for pouring personal time into a job project... best efforts not good enough. I can link you to a free download of the program I use if any of you want to correct my errors. I did the best I knew how, working with the available images, to depict a stock width fender. Put a piece of paper over your monitor, trace my image, correct it in pencil, show me whats right. Or wait until the next time I feel like messing with it. I have to go build something now. I will not make the car look like the edit. I don't know why the sketch works for people but the edit does not. I can see that posterboard mock up is required.

Everyone feel free to show me your sketches and edits that are correct in your eyes and I will be glad to list any imperfections I find. :)

That image was supposed to be an aid in establishing how short he wants fenders cut. I apologize to the world for it's inaccuracy and will destroy it.
Matt

enjenjo

Here is a picture of a model A from the rear that shows more clearly the normal width of the rear fenders from the body to the outside edge
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Heres an approximation of such, from the angle where your rod will mostly see it. Not for long and not this big though.  :0-0  ~:)

My friend's Model A is pro-street, and his rear end looks similar to what you have pictured. Exhaust is centered like you have shown and the fenders are extended inward more than you have shown. I would not extend the fenders outward as it is a little extreme style-wise. If you pull the fenders in so they do not stick out any further an the fronts, they will look more in proportion. My 2 cents . . .
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

idrivejunk

Picture I used is on the bottom. Sit on it.

:-}  :(D) :(U)  :evil:  :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Customer visited and we had the talk, boss included, with the sketches and explained edit... about fender bobbing. After I showed him a stockee from the side, he agreed at or below the axle sounded about right. He squinted at it, made markwith shoe in dust, I put posterboard up. He is on the fence about keeping the tire mount panel but he is game for the flush lid.  :D

So theres my homework. I'd rather go cruise the 455 but no gas. I'll have to bill this one or something.
Matt