Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

but it wouldnt be grandpas old car . I think thats what this build started with and why they stayed with this body . Sentimental value over any other reasoning .

idrivejunk

If its killing you....

psst....

Don't click here anymore. :idea:  :!:

I MAKE BURGER PAY! Ok? :roll:

Lets just kill it and coast a spell then. Rusty stuff went to sandblaster. Merry Christmas, guys.
Matt

rumrumm

Quote from: "idrivejunk"If its killing you....

psst....

Lets just kill it and coast a spell then. Rusty stuff went to sandblaster. Merry Christmas, guys.

Not killing me, Matt. Enjoy watching you work your magic! You deserve more than burger pay for what you do. Merry Christmas!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "rumrumm"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"If its killing you....

psst....

Not killing me, Matt. Enjoy watching you work your magic! You deserve more than burger pay for what you do. Merry Christmas!

I agree with Rum-Rum Matt ....You are showing a part of Model A's that we never knew existed ...AND...It's neat to see something get repaired & brought back to life like you are doing ... 8)
 Do you still do sandblasting "In House" or is it sublet to another shop ???

Bob .. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Sorry bout that, gents. I get snippy in a hurry when price comes up, plus yesterday ran too long after work so I was edgy. Dang, its a good thing I have interesting content or I wouldn't be worth a flip as a forum dude. You've seen how I act a dozen times and well at least I am aware of it.

Anyhow, nah we send out the blasting. To a place formerly known as "blank" street rods that is now blank media blasting. They know how it is. :wink:  Remember the green 31 or the 55 Chevy pickup? Them.

Comparing a new UP steel body and new 32 frame ain't exactly apples to oranges here either!

I will catch up on pics, they are only marginally intriguing but with quarters off it begins to become apparent where my background lies... in unibody structure. What I am excited about getting to flip wigs with later is the inner sheetmetal because I don't think a soul can visualize it.
Matt

chimp koose

What I also like to see is when you tear apart an old "repair" and a person gets to see what happens behind the patch as time wears on . Seeing the repairs needed after poorly done repairs makes me think about what will happen with a patch job . I know I have tried to do stuff that I would not have attempted before you started showing us your daily grind . Thanks for all you do .

idrivejunk

Thanks for the kind words.  8)  Would you believe me if I said tubing can be a challenge? I sincerely have no idea how this looks to anyone but me... the cage-ish thing I built. What I don't know is if anyone else uses rectangular tubing for this sort of thing. I am like the cave fish of fab and have no idea what a more seasoned fab man might do here. I'm doing the A, and did the Cat... just the only way I could see fit at the time. I find the odd intersections I end up with undesireable but err to the rigid side when I see a hotspot for flex. I guess what I'm saying is: You guys who built a chassis or cage or two please point out any major oversight in structural integrity as I go along please. I'm not going for a rollcage but if there are simpler, cleaner ways that you're up to explaining or have a good link to an example of... I should look.

I'm not very confident that others would use rectangle tubing. Right or wrong? Pros, cons? :?: Active auto fab sites?

Stand by for a revealing round of pictures. I am a puppy welding thick metal. I am more used to thick air and am just starting to develop a feel for prep and settings and how-to. Hopefully some degree of advancement will be evident, in spots. Nothing sketchy. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Once I had the doors ready for our friends at the local rod-friendly media blasting establishment, I set them aside.

Knowing I could spend a couple more days on the quarters'door jambs, welding...nand knowing the boss and broom man would be popping into my stall to haul away my children. I felt like a parent on a first school day, never ready enough. Chasing the bus down the street shouting instructions, etc.

Feverishly, I raced across the tightrope of warpage vs can I finish. Alas, with only one vertical seam done... the bus came. At least I sent one quarter away warm, tacking the weatherstrip extension with speed that would have made Marshall Dillon proud as the other parts were loaded up. In a thrash, I did all I could do...

Got these tabs onto the rear window panel more gooder, trimmed them to match up.

:arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

I bet you men are familiar with this scenario- Great fun times are had but then over in a flash, everybody leaves in a flurry of hubub and love and then

:shock:  Its just me and this mess. :cry:

I bet I am the only bodyman you know who gets separation anxiety like a dog. :roll:

Came back inside the empty nest, went um. Started grinding something or something, lost.

Clean! :idea:  :D  Yeah!

AH  :!:  Now I can swagger around like Barney Fife with a bullet in, and look it over to see whats really next  :)   :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

I can just picture Deputy Fife whacking this with a night stick and pointing out to visitors that "Here we have our maximum security cell"...  :lol:

Boy I better finish quick, jokes are goin downhill. Needing my black and white era fix.

Start here. Left B pillar and the wierd shaped C pillar intersection outside piece is extry thick stuf so's I could grind the bejeepers out of it. Can't have any bejeepers sticking out. I don't plan to do any significant grinding beyond about what you see, slag and slop removal only. Again, nobody is pretending this is a rollcage. I think its fairly adequate perhaps, for what it is.

Behind and below driver qtr window-

Other side, so far-

Also found on road dead was the Envy Green Bronco. A hub (untouched by us mind you) came apart on the shakedown. This is the one that picked the day I was welding on the roof to rot through the gas line. Its a hum ding danger yep. But sharp.

Boss wanted me to call a roof skin vs other cab r'kwik... You ever pick up an LMC Ford book and see a sharp '67 in blue? Barn found by a tornado.

For those with no IDJ decoder ring: This thing had a barn fall on it. Super nice truck and like two things escaped damage. Another hum dinger like the other danger dagnabbit. Fetch me the Winchester, Emma! I'm ridin' for Red Rock!

Sounded like we'pl be fixing that hood. Thats all I have for now. I need to stare at the Pontiacs tatooed inside my eyelids fer a spell.
Matt

chris spokes

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Thanks for the kind words.  8)  Would you believe me if I said tubing can be a challenge? I sincerely have no idea how this looks to anyone but me... the cage-ish thing I built. What I don't know is if anyone else uses rectangular tubing for this sort of thing. I am like the cave fish of fab and have no idea what a more seasoned fab man might do here. I'm doing the A, and did the Cat... just the only way I could see fit at the time. I find the odd intersections I end up with undesireable but err to the rigid side when I see a hotspot for flex. I guess what I'm saying is: You guys who built a chassis or cage or two please point out any major oversight in structural integrity as I go along please. I'm not going for a rollcage but if there are simpler, cleaner ways that you're up to explaining or have a good link to an example of... I should look.

I'm not very confident that others would use rectangle tubing. Right or wrong? Pros, cons? :?: Active auto fab sites?

Stand by for a revealing round of pictures. I am a puppy welding thick metal. I am more used to thick air and am just starting to develop a feel for prep and settings and how-to. Hopefully some degree of advancement will be evident, in spots. Nothing sketchy. :arrow:

here is a link to a blog of a guy doing an A coupe and how I did my sons roadster

http://kustom351.blogspot.com/2011/02/steel-out.html

my sons

how it looks now

there is no right or wrong way as long as it's safe ,love your work Matt cheers
he who has the most toys wins

kb426

The blue f100 almost looked familiar. :) Have way around the world and very similar ideas. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chris spokes"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Thanks for the kind words.  8)  Would you believe me if I said tubing can be a challenge? I sincerely have no idea how this looks to anyone but me... the cage-ish thing I built. What I don't know is if anyone else uses rectangular tubing for this sort of thing. I am like the cave fish of fab and have no idea what a more seasoned fab man might do here. I'm doing the A, and did the Cat... just the only way I could see fit at the time. I find the odd intersections I end up with undesireable but err to the rigid side when I see a hotspot for flex. I guess what I'm saying is: You guys who built a chassis or cage or two please point out any major oversight in structural integrity as I go along please. I'm not going for a rollcage but if there are simpler, cleaner ways that you're up to explaining or have a good link to an example of... I should look.

here is a link to a blog of a guy doing an A coupe and how I did my sons roadster

http://kustom351.blogspot.com/2011/02/steel-out.html

my sons

how it looks now

there is no right or wrong way as long as it's safe ,love your work Matt cheers

Thank you sir! That is among the top five most helpful posts of the year. Great stuff, much obliged! I had a go at bending heavy gauge 1x2 in a press today and concluded the same thing as seen in those pics is the solution. Slices, like the Catalina over-the-axle humps. Excellent, and I can see I'm within the "adequate, normal" parameters on tubing and welding fuss. Nice stuff, thanks for posting. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"The blue f100 almost looked familiar. :) Have way around the world and very similar ideas. :)

I knew that you knew that I knew we'd all see the paralells. Its a beaut! 8)

Wonder if it has a minty but scuffed grille. :idea:
Matt

idrivejunk

These may be the last Model A pics of the year. :cry:  Tony, this is normal ebb/flow type stuff. Really doesn't bother me. I do it on autopilot. But its a gear change from glory gravy like I'm spoiled on so bad now. I imagine Model A guy needs a wallet vacation. ;)

But there shall be no escape from Ford country-

Giving the Cobra a little heave-ho there. Whoa before you heave at the donor car. :shock:

Of course its the car you buy for the rear body that has to be that way. Salute to Joe for doing hazatd duty.
Matt